joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
September Obs.

LithiaWx

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, now that I live in the Southeast again, I can once again go about continually being screwed by severe weather, thunderstorms, hurricanes, and snows missing me by inches. For example, here is my current situation:

Continuous lightning and thunder from both directions. Only a drop here and there where I am (at the + sign).

post-1812-0-86088000-1315004627.jpg

Well, now that I live in the Southeast again, I can once again go about continually being screwed by severe weather, thunderstorms, hurricanes, and snows missing me by inches. For example, here is my current situation:

Continuous lightning and thunder from both directions. Only a drop here and there where I am (at the + sign).

Down here around Lake Murray SC, I'm right on the south side of the lake.. every storm seems to either a) break apart. B) form too far south or even c) break apart into nothing just to explode 5 miles East of me.

Wow that blows. Reminds me of Wilson and snow storms. Once in high school literally every surrounding county was let out for snow coming down. We pull up the radar, and it's all white...except this circle of green over Wilson County. Worst. Snow. Ever.

Holy hell i dont know if i just drove through a tornado or powerful st. Line winds but i saw a semi get blown over right in front of me and numerous trees down. Severe storm right through heart of downtown concord

09/02/2011 0720 PM

3 miles W of Concord, Cabarrus County.

Hail e0.88 inch, reported by public.

---

09/02/2011 0720 PM

3 miles W of Concord, Cabarrus County.

Thunderstorm wind gust e60.00 mph, reported by public.

---

09/02/2011 0700 PM

Concord, Cabarrus County.

Thunderstorm wind damage, reported by Emergency Mngr.

Power poles cut in half on US Hwy 29. Roof blown off

building on Lyle Lane and Speedway Blvd. Funnel cloud

reported by Concord Airport officials.

---

Oh well, was cookin' a shrimp dinner at the time, so good thing I held onto electricity by this thing moving 2 miles to my east.

Hell, I don't need any rain after what I got tonight. Longest continuous stretch of close lightning I've had in years - some 20-30 minutes with heavy rain.

Tell me about it. I was in constant storms on 77 from the VA state line all the way home. Had close lightning strikes all around and a few had to hit trees very close to me. The last one I thought hit my Jeep as I crawled along 85 north, going to ride along the frontage road I was beside tomorrow to see if I can see if anything was struck. Was some white-knuckled driving this evening.

HPC is building some heavy totals for the mountains and foothills region over the next 3 days or so. This is exactly the kind of tropical system that the SE has needed for the last 3-4 years. Hopefully it stays from I-95 and back west because we are still trying to dry out here from Irene and lots of people still have the blue tarps on their houses where shingles were ripped off.

It got up to 97 here today, probably one of the hottest days of the year but I'm not for sure.

Just had a severe thunderstorm move thru just to the south of the house and into Kingsport. Looks like a building has collapsed in downtown Kingsport:

http://www.wcyb.com/news/29073047/detail.html

There was a ton of lightning and some wind but I didn't know it was that bad. Hope nobody was injured.

On the link above they show where the back wall collapsed on a Hobby Lobby. So far there are no injuries from what I can tell by listening to the scanner.

Reports from facebook include: " Window blown out at the hospital" "Roof tops flying through the air back of building gone" "Bad Storm possible tornado at hobby lobby gas leak too keep clear of this area"

There was no tornado warning at the time just a severe t-storm warning and according to the scanner they are calling in the Red Cross

Scanner link:

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/?feedId=2035

Spent 1.5 hours in the tunnel at Neyland Stadium waiting for the Vols to kick-off against the Grizzlies. Big time weather rolled through Knoxville. Meantime back home, Kingsport gets rocked by a major league storm w/ significant damage alluded to by a previous poster. Power outages, downed trees, and damage to commercial buildings in one area are evident. What a mess! Pics of the weather @ UT will be up tomorrow as soon as I can get them loaded. I've been through worse, but man was it hot in that tunnel. For the second year in a row I had to sit-out a bad storm at Neyland - Ducks last year. That's after twenty-nine years of pretty smooth sailing in regards to lightning.

I had a similar experience at Neyand a few years back against Marshal. We could hardy get to our parking lot due to street flooding. When we finaly got to Neyand they evacuated the stadium twice before kickoff. A 4pm kickoff became a 6pm kickoff. We were lucky that our seats are covered by the upper deck.

It's been tropical muggy since I got up. The rain has been light and intermittent, but considering how long it's been since I felt any drops, it is a nice start. It looks and feels like there might be more :) I just finished cutting the croquet court in a light rain, with a breeze blowing, and it felt wonderful. Beyond wonderful. Can't believe it isn't 90 + again. T

Archived