joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
September Obs.

LithiaWx

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only got up to 73 for a high. Perfect Fall-like day with the occasional breeze. Can't wait to see how low I'll get for tonight's temperature.

73 here yesterday as well, and this mornings low was 55. Very nice! Heavy dew this morning, once the clouds broke up overnight. Actually chilly to step outside for coffee this morning, haven't said that since May I guess.

I look outside at the bright sun, and scattered clouds, and get filled with dread....then I go out into it, and it is in the 60's :) Man, can a 30 degree difference make your heart sing! Drop another 30 and my whole being would be singing like crazy, lol.

On a down note..that sun, and dry air, will remove what little dampness is in the ground before days end. Really, really need some rain!! Come on Nate. T

the Euro and some extent the op GFS have a real cold front coming through the Southeast and East Coast next Wed. night and Thursday. With a 1032 high, and some chilly 850 temps. The Euro has highs Thursday in the 50's mountains, 60's piedmont of NC to TN and low 70s in SC and GA. I'm interested in seeing how things go with the models going back into the cold season, as ECMWF has usually led the way to verfication there, but lost it back after the Christmas storm this past Winter. And has been following the GFS almost on every single big event (or non event) since then. After the cold front comes through late next week, they both develop a coastal gale.

post-38-0-50107800-1315560722.gif

After the cold front comes through late next week, they both develop a coastal gale.

Odds seem to be slowly increasing for some type of coastal storm in the extended. 0z EC has hybrid scenario as Maria is captured by the ULL after the trough exits, around 192-240 hrs. This could be more bad news for the Carolina beaches which has already lost a good deal of sand this year. Speaking of Maria, this has to be one of the largest blowups of convection I have seen in recent memory. That's a lot of RN!

wv-l.jpg

Morning Everyone,

We will be launching our "Pkwy Fall Series" this Sunday.

Essentially, it will be a wonderful tool for folks wanting to head up to the mtns and capture some beautiful foliage. We have linked up with the WCU biology dept. to make these updates as technical and also simple as possible. We will be posting pics of the foliage every 2 days to make sure your trip is not wasted.

Alongside this Series is our "Why Leaves Change" Education page which was authored by our regions "Fearless Fall Forecaster", Dr. Kathy Matthews, a Plant Systematics instructor at WCU. Check out her Fearless Forecast here as well as the Pkwy Series page here.

I hope this can be of some assistance as we all begin observations about the foliage change.

Morning Everyone,

We will be launching our "Pkwy Fall Series" this Sunday.

Essentially, it will be a wonderful tool for folks wanting to head up to the mtns and capture some beautiful foliage. We have linked up with the WCU biology dept. to make these updates as technical and also simple as possible. We will be posting pics of the foliage every 2 days to make sure your trip is not wasted.

Alongside this Series is our "Why Leaves Change" Education page which was authored by our regions "Fearless Fall Forecaster", Dr. Kathy Matthews, a Plant Systematics instructor at WCU. Check out her Fearless Forecast here as well as the Pkwy Series page here.

I hope this can be of some assistance as we all begin observations about the foliage change.

Awesome! Me and the fiance were trying to plan a trip to the Smokey's or blue ridge mountains of TN or NC in about a month or so to see the fall foliage.

Next Friday and Saturday still look nice in terms of temps. The GFS is significantly colder at the surface though, so we'll see if its the old bias at work. It has Atlanta atleast the northern and eastern burbs getting down to 50 and less for lows Saturday morning ( I know it will be much warmer at the airport regardless--which is always true in Fall cool snaps). For the Carolinas, has Sat. morning lows in the 40's, which is extremely chilly for September. The ECMWF isn't quite as chilly as this. It has high temps still staying 70 and less along I-40 in NC, and north though for Friday afternoon. As long as we can get the front through, without stalling too much (a possibility), and get the high to push far enough south, I think many will go into low 50's to upper 40's for lows next Friday or Saturday morning, and possibly 30's in the higher elevations.

post-38-0-57980900-1315597831.gif

Next Friday and Saturday still look nice in terms of temps. The GFS is significantly colder at the surface though, so we'll see if its the old bias at work. It has Atlanta atleast the northern and eastern burbs getting down to 50 and less for lows Saturday morning ( I know it will be much warmer at the airport regardless--which is always true in Fall cool snaps). For the Carolinas, has Sat. morning lows in the 40's, which is extremely chilly for September. The ECMWF isn't quite as chilly as this. It has high temps still staying 70 and less along I-40 in NC, and north though for Friday afternoon. As long as we can get the front through, without stalling too much (a possibility), and get the high to push far enough south, I think many will go into low 50's to upper 40's for lows next Friday or Saturday morning, and possibly 30's in the higher elevations.

Bring It On :snowman:

All I can say is....Thank Goodness that this Summer is over! .........I look forward to the first true cool snap of the Fall each year. It signals the start of the cold season. I am a true winter fan and the endless string of Fall cold fronts coming down, each one a little colder than the previous, means that winter is not too far behind. Heck, by this time next month, Oct 9th, the record lows in Charlotte drop below freezing.

Here in W. Kentucky, the Paducah NWS office posted last week that it was the 10th warmest summer on record. The #1 was last year. It was the 17th warmest at Evansville, Ind.

I was shocked when USA Today had an article saying that this was the warmest summer in U.S. in 75 years. I really think that is very misleading!! Overall it was not as warm in most of the country than it was last summer...look at the summer temp anomalies. The record heat in Louisiana, Oklahoma, Texas, Arizona actually pushed the national temp averages up. I really think that article is very misleading. Of course the article implied it was further proof of human caused global warming. I'm not sure what was to blame for the all-time record heat of the 1930's. If this Winter is really cold & any records are broken we'll see how much of it makes the headlines. Sad to say but if it does it will probably be linked to global warming.:lol:

Here in W. Kentucky, the Paducah NWS office posted last week that it was the 10th warmest summer on record. The #1 was last year. It was the 17th warmest at Evansville, Ind.

I was shocked when USA Today had an article saying that this was the warmest summer in U.S. in 75 years. I really think that is very misleading!! Overall it was not as warm in most of the country than it was last summer...look at the summer temp anomalies. The record heat in Louisiana, Oklahoma, Texas, Arizona actually pushed the national temp averages up. I really think that article is very misleading. Of course the article implied it was further proof of human caused global warming. I'm not sure what was to blame for the all-time record heat of the 1930's. If this Winter is really cold & any records are broken we'll see how much of it makes the headlines. Sad to say but if it does it will probably be linked to global warming.:lol:

Atlanta was hotter this summer than last summer... Atlanta had it's 3rd hottest summer ever. Several Georgia cities had their hottest summers ever I believe, I think in large part due to the horrible drought in the southeast.

State of the Climate for August here

I know this isn't weather related and it's all a secret now... I don't think any of my racing buddies except one comes up here soooooo.....

this is what I start driving as of October.

Here's a story the SCCA did on his car. This is the 8th car Del Long as built. BTW, this car finished in 2nd the first time at the National Championship that was just held.

---------------------------

The car started life as an Allison Legacy—a scale tube-frame stock car. Long acquired the car, sans body, and began the build in October 2010. He fit a 2.0-liter Chevrolet Cobalt SS turbo motor to the right and forward of the driver’s legs, dropped a Ford 8” rear end in the back and mated the two with a two-speed Doug Nash transmission. The car initially didn’t have power steering, and driver Bob Tunnell, of Broomfield, Colo., admitted it was difficult to drive. The solution was simple—drop a power steering unit in out of a Toyota Yaris.

Tunnell said that the car has around 400 hp and 400 lb-ft of torque running on E85 fuel at 1750 lbs. Despite the massive slicks off of a Formula Atlantic, Tunnell admits the car is a bit of a challenge to drive due to its short wheelbase, but has great potential.

A six-time Solo National Champion, Tunnell was invited by Long to drive the car for 2011 after his own supercharged BMW M3 was not ready for the event following a blown motor in 2010. He is joined by another multi-time Champion, 3-time titlist Jeff Ellerby, of Marion, Iowa, giving Long a great pair to try to take down the mighty green rotary turbo Sprite. Bob Tunnell’s wife, 13-time National Champion Patty, will also drive the car Thursday and Friday in E Modified Ladies.

Long admits that while the car may say Jeep, it’s hardly from 1946.

“I told Jeep Magazine that ‘no Jeeps where hurt building this vehicle.’”

img_3907medium.jpg

Atlanta was hotter this summer than last summer... Atlanta had it's 3rd hottest summer ever. Several Georgia cities had their hottest summers ever I believe, I think in large part due to the horrible drought in the southeast.

But your state was overall cooler: 81.7 this year & 81.8 last year.

StMap-Sep1015:09:114450073242.gif

StMap-Sep1015:09:361163635253.gif

33 states were cooler this summer versus last summer...1 was the same, & only 11 were warmer. Texas, Oklahoma, Arizona, & Louisiana were so hot that it drove the national average up for the summer, but that national average for this summer is very deceiving for that reason.

If you like damming, then todays GFS has the run for you. First of all, its unlikely to be that extreme yet, since the models have blown damming a lot last few years. However, it did use to happen this way, even in September the Carolinas esp. can can strong damming events, the key question is will there be steady rains , or not? The GFS has it this run, but has been back and forth on it. The ECMWF had it yesterdays run I think, squarely over the Carolinas, but today's run has a weak onshore flow/Gale setup , but doesn't really develop it. Its just something to watch for now, the models have been back and forth on this for several days now, we can't really trust them yet since damming is very elusive lately right up until the day before it happens.

We do have good agreement on the eastern Canada vortex, which may get strengthened by the hurricane offshore, but thats still up in the air too. Lots of "if's" right now, but its possible that if everything came together like the GFS shows, we'd have a really cold September damming event , with steady rains in the Carolinas and Virginia Friday into Saturday and maybe Sunday..somewhere in there.

Hard to believe the GFS high temps staying in the 40's for a good chunk of NC piedmont Friday. Thats over 30 degrees below normal. Both models have strong northeast winds and a strengthening damming high in perfect position, under good northeast confluence. The main question mark right now is the amount of rain. If steady, it would be re-inforced, but without it, temps wouldn't be nearly as chilly with it. I will say the GFS did excellent on the mid July damming event for NC, SC, back when it showed temps dropping to around 59/ 60 during the day on July 15th, from 84 hours out. So, we'll see. I think the truth lies in between, with much less rain than shown, but the possibilty of something forming at the coast.

post-38-0-15891500-1315770829.gif

post-38-0-18675300-1315770831.gif

post-38-0-01660500-1315770836.gif

post-38-0-73069500-1315770838.gif

post-38-0-66029000-1315770841.gif

If you like damming, then todays GFS has the run for you. First of all, its unlikely to be that extreme yet, since the models have blown damming a lot last few years. However, it did use to happen this way, even in September the Carolinas esp. can can strong damming events, the key question is will there be steady rains , or not? The GFS has it this run, but has been back and forth on it. The ECMWF had it yesterdays run I think, squarely over the Carolinas, but today's run has a weak onshore flow/Gale setup , but doesn't really develop it. Its just something to watch for now, the models have been back and forth on this for several days now, we can't really trust them yet since damming is very elusive lately right up until the day before it happens.

We do have good agreement on the eastern Canada vortex, which may get strengthened by the hurricane offshore, but thats still up in the air too. Lots of "if's" right now, but its possible that if everything came together like the GFS shows, we'd have a really cold September damming event , with steady rains in the Carolinas and Virginia Friday into Saturday and maybe Sunday..somewhere in there.

Hard to believe the GFS high temps staying in the 40's for a good chunk of NC piedmont Friday. Thats over 30 degrees below normal. Both models have strong northeast winds and a strengthening damming high in perfect position, under good northeast confluence. The main question mark right now is the amount of rain. If steady, it would be re-inforced, but without it, temps wouldn't be nearly as chilly with it. I will say the GFS did excellent on the mid July damming event for NC, SC, back when it showed temps dropping to around 59/ 60 during the day on July 15th, from 84 hours out. So, we'll see. I think the truth lies in between, with much less rain than shown, but the possibilty of something forming at the coast.

Yeah, I saw that earlier but I wasn't ready to let myself get sucked into the GFS only to have it show a heat wave for the same time frame on the next run. However, I would love for this run to verify.

Yeah, I saw that earlier but I wasn't ready to let myself get sucked into the GFS only to have it show a heat wave for the same time frame on the next run. However, I would love for this run to verify.

I'd love to see it be even close, but I have serious doubts at 5 to 6 days out. The other models have damming too, just not that extreme yet. GGEM has some rain early on, and Euro too but is quick to dry out the interior (after yesterday's pretty cold/rainy look). It's a classic damming look, and usually when those happen, all models miss the temps by a good bit, but in this case, I think the GFS is overdoing how cool it is. Its temps would depend entirely on the rain materializing. Another fly in the ointment is how Maria gets absorbed.

Still looking like a CAD will develop. Question for all you out there. The below image is from: http://itg1.meteor.w...crhlia_h120.gif I have also found it at: http://www.aos.wisc....crhlia_h120.gif ; Is there another site that can provide more extended dates (i.e. 168 hours,...) for 850-500 mb Avg Rel Hum? Only found up to 120 hours...

avn_crhlia_h120.gif

Archived