• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
September Obs.

LithiaWx

I'm not familiar with 88, but I am farther south than Atlanta and I got a foot of snow in March 1993. Even though I'm south of I-20, it seems like i get just as much snow if not more than Atlanta. I think elevation may play a role in snowfall amounts too. I mean, Atlanta is higher in elevation than places like Rome, so even though Rome is farther north, due to their low elevation, they should probably average about the same snowfall as Atlanta. Or does a difference of a few hundred feet even matter that much ?

Elevation can make a huge difference in the amount of snowfall. The higher the elevation the colder it gets. However Atlanta seems to go against that sometimes. I am from Atlanta, grew up in Woodstock and can't tell you how many times I saw a snowfall map with the higher totals being west or northeast of the metro. Maybe I am wrong about this but maybe the heat island effect has something to do with this.

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

18Z GFS. Pretty chilly, some upper 40's in the dammed areas of NC Friday night. If it doesn't rain or atleast drizzle, this will be off a good bit. I'm forecasting a new record at CLT. The record low "high" temp Friday is 61, and I'm going with about 60 for CLT.

post-38-0-89878700-1316043670.gif

post-38-0-12923200-1316043690.gif

That would be quite chilly and simply amazing. I am really hoping that these colder solutions verify.

Yep...and it's gone. How does that rain know there is a line there? Always dissipates right at the line. Like some electro magnetic barrier :) An anti-rain plasma field? Spectral ectoplasm? It's not just a line on a map, lol. Way to powerful. T

Haha. Maybe that is the issue. We should all go out and protest that all state lines be removed. And then we can all live in a rain and snow filled harmony wonderland! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

The next two days are shaping up to be historic ones for temps. across NC. The GFS brings afternoon temps. down to around 49/50 for Charlotte, while the drier NAM still has things sitting around 54. On Saturday, the GFS (I think) breaks the wedge down too early, and NAM keeps CLT around 54 or 55. If that pans out, we have a chance of making a run at the September all-time record low maximum for Charlotte, which is 54 degrees. The daily record low maxes should be easy to break at 61 and 64, respectively.

Incidentally, the September 26, 1956 wedge that brought the all-time record low max. was pretty insane. 2.69 inches of rain fell that day on a stiff NE breeze that averaged between 28 and 34 mph. At the same time, Wilmington was sitting in the lower 70s with upper 60s dewpoints all day and bone dry.

The next two days are shaping up to be historic ones for temps. across NC. The GFS brings afternoon temps. down to around 49/50 for Charlotte, while the drier NAM still has things sitting around 54. On Saturday, the GFS (I think) breaks the wedge down too early, and NAM keeps CLT around 54 or 55. If that pans out, we have a chance of making a run at the September all-time record low maximum for Charlotte, which is 54 degrees. The daily record low maxes should be easy to break at 61 and 64, respectively.

Incidentally, the September 26, 1956 wedge that brought the all-time record low max. was pretty insane. 2.69 inches of rain fell that day on a stiff NE breeze that averaged between 28 and 34 mph. At the same time, Wilmington was sitting in the lower 70s with upper 60s dewpoints all day and bone dry.

For most of the coldest max high (for this CAD) will be Saturday. Tomorrows highs (for most) will be at mid-night tonight. So, don't be suprised to see temps in the 50s most of tomorrow but the end-of-day high is established in the mid 60s (or so).

Good Info! Thanks

Looking forward to the CAD temps. But I need some precip.

Look at the temperature gradient between here and Birmingham! The clouds are also moving in! It's so close I can taste it. I'm ready for highs at least in the middle 70s if not cooler for my area! Here's hoping this CAD is the first of many for the Southeast crew! :thumbsup:

Being a Fla. boy, I figured you loved all these 90's and 100's you got this summer. From your post one could intuit you are looking forward to fall/winter, lol. Did you make 90+ the last few days? What is the record down in Columbus? Tony

Still not sure how much rain develops tomorrow in the wedge, but with it, temps would be lower side, without it, higher side. But its been interesting watching the temp forecast for Friday come down each day:

Monday--->HIGHS IN THE MID 70S.

Tuesday--->HIGHS IN THE LOWER 70S.

Wednesday--->MUCH COOLER WITH HIGHS IN THE LOWER 60S.

Thursday ---> MUCH COOLER. NEAR STEADY TEMPERATURES IN THE UPPER 50S.

Look at the temperature gradient between here and Birmingham! The clouds are also moving in! It's so close I can taste it. I'm ready for highs at least in the middle 70s if not cooler for my area! Here's hoping this CAD is the first of many for the Southeast crew! :thumbsup:

I CANNOT wait for the cooler weather to get here! Our A/C went out on saturday & we decided against a recharge this late in the season plus we are replacing the unit after the holidays.

Archived