• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Hurricane Irene - Discussion Part III

Baroclinic Zone

If that ever happened again there would be power outages lasting a week or two. Especially because crews from the south and west would be busy in there areas so reinforcement power crews could only come from Canada.

At least they have modern equipment. My Grandfather cleaning up in 1938 with what looks like a handsaw and an axe...can't imagine

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are a lot of smart posters in this thread who are falling victim to the extreme hype. Any time a bona fide hurricane strikes the Southern New England Coast it's a huge story....but a weakening Cat 1 hurricane moving up the coast slower than usual won't make the record books...and by Satruday a lot of these same people are gonna be on here complaining how bad Irene looks on satellite.

Beggars can't be choosers and I'm elated that it looks like I have a decent shot to get hurricane force winds, I'm just disappointed this one isn't going to top Bob and will probably be a wetter, more tropical Gloria. Hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised and it will pack more a punch but the slow forward speed is preventing me from falling victim to the hype.

Exactly.....I haven't seen this since I was 10 and that went east of me, so it sucked.

I have seen this once in my lifetime and I was barely old enough to remember, at 4.

Excuse me for being pumped lol

Out here in Michigan dealing with severe weather this evening. My parents and siblings live about 15 miles east of Worcester, Mass, and I've been toying with the idea of getting a last minute ticket to Logan to see them from Friday night/Saturday morning until Tuesday night... mostly to help with clean-up efforts. Think it's worth it?

Severe in MI... check. Approaching tropical airmass... check. Severe in NE thursday... good bet

Out here in Michigan dealing with severe weather this evening. My parents and siblings live about 15 miles east of Worcester, Mass, and I've been toying with the idea of getting a last minute ticket to Logan to see them from Friday night/Saturday morning until Tuesday night... mostly to help with clean-up efforts. Think it's worth it?

If you need to ask, no.

laugh.gif

There are a lot of smart posters in this thread who are falling victim to the extreme hype. Any time a bona fide hurricane strikes the Southern New England Coast it's a huge story....but a weakening Cat 1 hurricane moving up the coast slower than usual won't make the record books...and by Satruday a lot of these same people are gonna be on here complaining how bad Irene looks on satellite.

Beggars can't be choosers and I'm elated that it looks like I have a decent shot to get hurricane force winds, I'm just disappointed this one isn't going to top Bob and will probably be a wetter, more tropical Gloria. Hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised and it will pack more a punch but the slow forward speed is preventing me from falling victim to the hype.

Hmm don't be so fast to judge - latest runs sure to seem to be speeding this thing up quite a bit - I think someone calculated 18-22 kt forward speed for the most recent GFS.

I haven't been this excited about a tropical event since Katrina...before that it was Andrew.

Obviously not comparing the magnitude of the events, per se....but it gives you an idea of how stoked I'm getting...hallowed weenie, here.

Yup, a lot of emotional energy riding on this one. Since I moved from Cambridge to Greenfield I kind of had put hurricanes on the back burner knowing W. Ma. is far less of a target. Maybe bulls eye this time.

Exactly.....I haven't seen this since I was 10 and that went east of me, so it sucked.

I have seen this once in my lifetime and I was barely old enough to remember, at 4.

I won't get hyped in terms of death and destruction until Thursday evening. I don't think the models have sufficient skill to predict strength and too many little factors come into play.

Gloria did tremendous damage in my area with mediocre winds and almost no rain. All we need with this damp ground is some 80-100 mph gusts and it will get ugly fast.

All about the track for me right now and the GFS/ early 0z guidance is a disaster track for areas to the east providing it doesn't fall apart.

I partially agree with you and would have fully agreed with you yesterday. It seems the forward speed is faster than what was progged yesterday. Also I watched Matt Noyes's livestream this eve and he felt the upper air outflow isunusally good even this far north so he expects slower weakening than what would normally be expected. If the 0Z early guidance held and a storm came up through Central Mass without every barely touching land further down the coast the effects on Metro Boston would have to be huge. Not 1938 but larger than Bob which moved just SE of the city and larger than Gloria which came ashore further west on LI. A block island to Nashua path has to crush Boston and point south with a very memorable hit.

Interesting map of tree damage from the 1938 hurricane. Odd that the areas closer to the coast suffered less...

http://www.foresthis...BlowdownMap.jpg

It was because the core of the hurricane made a rip saw cut right up through the relatively undeveloped, heavily forested center of New England. Coastal areas to the east were far enough from the peak winds to not to suffer to the same degree. Plus in general, coastal areas then and now are more developed, less treed. Arguably, trees in coastal areas get a lot more exposure to more extreme winds than those in inland areas, therefore, are more resistant to strong gales/hurricanes.

Not sure where the Bob love comes from, Gloria was way better. But unfortunately I have agree with your overall point....

Hmm don't be so fast to judge - latest runs sure to seem to be speeding this thing up quite a bit - I think someone calculated 18-22 kt forward speed for the most recent GFS.

There have been veru few tropical systems that are moving slow when they go by up here, I think we will see this system start to accelerate in forward speed over the next few days once it gets up in New England

My late father used to talk about 1938 quite a bit on L.I. I guess your father also lived through it. Maybe this is a once every 75v years event. :lightning:

r

Dude I know you're pumped. A 20 year wait is a long time!! If I can squeeze out a gust to 100 I'll be sporting a tent in my pants as well. Actually anything over 85 and I'll be satisfied.

If anyone is coming to Newport Bailey's Beach is one of the safer beaches to be in the water before a hurricane. The waves break too far out at First and Second Beach...the waves are usually smaller at Bailey's but they break closer to the shore....For some reason Bailey's had the best waves during Earl last year when it made its closest approach...and there were guys swimming who weren't on surfboards and they were having a blast even though you risk the waves breaking and hurting your neck and back.

That's just devastating, only thing that could save us is a Euro scenario more extreme where it runs over land in VA/MD/DE/NJ weakening. otherwise thisis a horrific situation in the making.

I've been hearing there will be evacuations here regardless of the track (unless it's offshore obviously)..... news 12 was saying that a western track gives the obvious storm surge, but even if the storm goes a bit east, it piles up long island sound water from the NE and drives it down into the city, flooding it out a la Dec 92 (they're saying the massive size of the wind field of this storm a la 1944 is what has them really worried).... either way, it looks like the city and long island will be looking to get people out of the area if they live within a few miles of either the ocean or the sound.

Bob had a larger impact then Gloria up here as well

Gloria was nastier into the interior and west along the south coast in CT. Bob was bad from SE RI over to CC and I guess up into your area...but I admittedly know very little about how bad Maine has been impacted by different storms.

It was because the core of the hurricane made a rip saw cut right up through the relatively undeveloped, heavily forested center of New England. Coastal areas to the east were far enough from the peak winds to not to suffer to the same degree. Plus in general, coastal areas then and now are more developed, less treed. Arguably, trees in coastal areas get a lot more exposure to more extreme winds than those in inland areas, therefore, are more resistant to strong gales/hurricanes.

I believe that's the reason. Many of those southeast towns seemingly unscathed are not now , and never where heavily developed, Carver, Halifax, Hanson....

Remember they had some of the worst flooding in Seagate, Brooklyn in 12/1992.

I've been hearing there will be evacuations here regardless of the track (unless it's offshore obviously)..... news 12 was saying that a western track gives the obvious storm surge, but even if the storm goes a bit east, it piles up long island sound water from the NE and drives it down into the city, flooding it out a la Dec 92 (they're saying the massive size of the wind field of this storm a la 1944 is what has them really worried).... either way, it looks like the city and long island will be looking to get people out of the area if they live within a few miles of either the ocean or the sound.

This looks pretty much like a lock... hard to say absolutes in weather but if this missed New England completely it would be an epic model failure. I think this one is safe to get your hopes up on. Gonna be fun when none of you are online Sunday night cause 75% of SNE is without power, lol.

fair enough.

i don't share that sentiment.

Messenger, where were you during Gloria and what type of damage are you referring to?

I was 8 and was so disappointed. I'm not sure what the official gusts in Newport were, but skies were at worst overcast during the entire event and I'm not even sure I gusted over 75. There was significant tree damage, but few uprooted massive oak and maple trees. Bob on the other hand uprooted a bunch of big ole trees and knocked down telephone poles. But, the storm surge in Newport during Bob was minor and virtually non-existent during Gloria.

This looks pretty much like a lock... hard to say absolutes in weather but if this missed New England completely it would be an epic model failure. I think this one is safe to get your hopes up on. Gonna be fun when none of you are online Sunday night cause 75% of SNE is without power, lol.

Oh I'm sure I'll be posting from my iPhone if that happens. Hopefully any power issues are limited to a day or two.

Archived