gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
Hurricane Irene - Discussion Part III

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How do they get TWCs local on the 8s to have Cantore's voice?

He probably recorded his voice saying a bunch of words and phrases. I like the way he says "hot" and "near record high temperatures".

Is this a brand new feature on HD? Noticed it for the first time last week...

GFS takes it right over NYC...a solid 50-60 miles W of 18z.

Hopefully the famous eleventh hour east trend occurs because if it does go over NYC we're gonna have a lot of disappointed weenies around these parts. Floyd never really reemerged in the open waters after it made landfall and it was a run of the mill event in SNE that didn't do much to the seas. I'm hoping we don't have a repeat performance because Floyd never made the right hook,

Yes, and loss of life from idiots who will inevitably go outside

Me.

My friend is coming down from NH Sunday evening...he has to work until 5 PM so he won't be here until 6:30 PM...at earliest but that may be too late and he may not even be able to get far. I seriously may try to talk him out of it.

I liked watching a good tropical storm from my concrete house with only strong trees nearby from my previous house in Florida.. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

But really the only thing that will happen imby here if it hits 'well' is that trees will fall, potentially damaging my property. I'm not saying a significant part of me isn't pulling for a good hit, but I'm not going to feel 'screwed' if this thing whiffs either.

soaked ground and 70 mph gust is enough to get the ball rolling, more than that, I'm thinking watch out

Interesting run no doubt... This would be bad for lower Manhattan... This appeal would run risk of drilling a magnified storm surge into the NY Bite area, piling it up in that wedge. This run also mitigates a lot of wind concern - but not entirely - for eastern New England.

I can see it easy to go this way because the Euro being nearly coincident with this solution from earlier in the day, but obviously we'd want caution there because 50 miles E and well... Not a hard feat at D4 considering the average margin for error reported by NHC is 200 nautical miles at that range.

Hopefully the famous eleventh hour east trend occurs because if it does go over NYC we're gonna have a lot of disappointed weenies around these parts. Floyd never really reemerged in the open waters after it made landfall and it was a run of the mill event in SNE that didn't do much to the seas. I'm hoping we don't have a repeat performance because Floyd never made the right hook,

Floyd slammed into SE NC, so its not a very good analog unless this one does the same. If this one kisses the outer banks like many of the past big storms, then its a different ballgame because it doesn't rapidly lose intensity like a Floyd type landfall over NC for hours and hours.

While I agree on the timing, it would not surprise me if his flight is canceled just so the planes don't get stuck in Boston gumming up the whole system for a few days.

Yeah, I'm more concerned that because of the forecast, the flight may never take off because they might be concerned they won't be able to land at BOS.

Archived