• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Irene - Discussion Part III

Baroclinic Zone

I think you're misremembering Gloria. Gloria fell apart dramatically as it hit LI. The highest wind speeds measured were 74 mph in Bridgeport.

I remember it well. I was at the NWS ORH and peak gusts were 68 up at 999' on the hill.

However, it was not super impressive and the wind gusts passed in a few hours. I could not accept the 105 over BDL though. As OSU mentioned the pressure estimates for speed back then. I have the SA's and can bring to the GTG. But no one wants to remeber that storm as it did fall apart fast..LOL

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

actually...it was a cat 1 in NY/MA/CT.

That's from Landsea...it hasn't been officially accepted by the reanalysis committee...but it wasn't a major at landfall, that's for sure.

They often used pressure to diagnose surface winds back then.

That explains a lot. Why more trees were not downed. Only at the Higher elevations.. trees got uprooted.

I remember the forecast for 100 MPH winds even at ORH, They fell well short of that. The sun came out quickly as the center passed my latitude and winds went SW then W and gusted to 54 after the center passed N of my latitude..

This also says what this storm may be like. Slower moving and stronger if LF as forecasted.

Bob was a lot worse than Gloria with the 5.00" RAFL ( even though I was well on the west side of Bob, which went across SE MA. after going over Block Island, RI).

Archived