Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Hurricane Irene - Discussion Part III

Baroclinic Zone

AMEN BROTHER

Well, this is a drag. Looks like a full day of storm prep on the various jobsites. Still hoping for the right hook. Can't believe people actually wish this headache on themselves. Hopefully we just deal with 5-10" of rain and not much for winds. That'll cause problems enough.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the plus side, Pete, if we can manage any winds with the wet grounds out here, it might allow for one less "cut" in the never ending quest for firewood. Also, if a tree should happen to taken down my outbuilding, I'll be undertaking a fairly major (a very relative term, Pete) construction job.

I have little doubt of a doubling my cache.....

The great east trend has begun! I put my money on Irene making landfall in either RI or eastern MA, and then passing over Wiscasset, ME.

Hi Matt - I have it pretty close to your thoughts. GON to IWI is my guess. Thinking the center passes juuuuust to the east of PWM. I told the guys at work that yesterday so I now have a vested interest in this. lol

I remember Gloria was 105 MPH sustained at 3PM over KBDL. Winds were damaging here ( 70 MPH gusts from the SE). However, rafl was < than 2"

Bob was worse here overall with 5.00" RAFL and 68 MPH N-NW wind gusts. Both were moving at a decent forward speed. Lots of tree's downed in both storms.

This is how I'm trying to relate this in my mind. If this goes Just west, then it's worse than those. As long as it @ 90 Knots at LF.

I remember Gloria was 105 MPH sustained at 3PM over KBDL. Winds were damaging here ( 70 MPH gusts from the SE). However, rafl was < than 2"

Bob was worse here overall with 5.00" RAFL and 68 MPH N-NW wind gusts. Both were moving at a decent forward speed. Lots of tree's downed in both storms.

This is how I'm trying to relate this in my mind. If this goes Just west, then it's worse than those. As long as it @ 90 Knots at LF.

Gloria was severely overestimated in real time. I think Josh was saying it was low-end Cat 2 at LI landfall, and then 1 at MA/CT

Hi Matt - I have it pretty close to your thoughts. GON to IWI is my guess. Thinking the center passes juuuuust to the east of PWM. I told the guys at work that yesterday so I now have a vested interest in this. lol

Yeah, I had to hold onto my hopes all during the western trend it will eventually shift east. I like to think of this as a Bob copy cat.

It seems like Irene is having the same fate as Ike...with a somewhat perpetual state of ERCs and the lowering central pressure working to not strengthen the eyewall winds, but instead, strengthen and expand the size of the wind field.

Probably meaning 2 things

1) weakening will take much longer

2) better for wind damage for us

I think you're misremembering Gloria. Gloria fell apart dramatically as it hit LI. The highest wind speeds measured were 74 mph in Bridgeport.

I thought that the 105 over BDL was high. It did not make sense with wind gusts just to the east of the center. Thanks for clarifying that. I have those records.

actually...it was a cat 1 in NY/MA/CT.

That's from Landsea...it hasn't been officially accepted by the reanalysis committee...but it wasn't a major at landfall, that's for sure.

They often used pressure to diagnose surface winds back then.

Archived