• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Hurricane Irene - Discussion Part III

Baroclinic Zone

It almost looks like its moving just slight E of due north right now...but basically due north. That is bad for the western models to verify.

Will, you would have been amused by this.... I know you have a good friend that works for WABC, but Lee Goldberg was showing the oddest maps tonight at 11-- he basically said that the model they were using (he didn't specify) had the hurricane not making landfall and passing east of both Montauk and Cape Cod. He then proceeded to show rainfall amounts and they were over 9" in Montauk but only 2" in the city. But then he was showing projected wind gusts, and he had 60-80 mph over NYC and 80-100 mph from JFK and all points east! He seemed to be surprised by the output of the model he was using (in terms of track and rainfall, not wind speeds) and I dont know if it was an Accuweather product or whatever.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I used to vacation in Sag Harbor with my parents in the 70's many areas didn't get NYC on cable and we got our tv on the antenna from Hartford, New Haven and even PVD. Now that area has been completely taken over by NY weekenders...maybe a few potato farms left, but in the 70's it was all farms. The North Fork stayed more rural by going into vineyards.

Thanks, Will-- looking at those black and white maps gives me an intense headache lol. BTW I thought that nyc metro referred to the entire tristate area-- things dont really get rural on Long Island unless you're in the middle or east end.... both the south and north shores are quite commercialized and unfortunately, have the big city feel to them :(

Thanks, Will-- looking at those black and white maps gives me an intense headache lol. BTW I thought that nyc metro referred to the entire tristate area-- things dont really get rural on Long Island unless you're in the middle or east end.... both the south and north shores are quite commercialized and unfortunately, have the big city feel to them :(

I'm not feeling it.

Seriously, south shore is much more densely populated. Many more people are at risk for storm surge flooding on the south shore, both because of population density and because it is a gradually sloping outwash plain. The north shore has some well known vulnerable areas, but along most of the north shore the sound is lined with high bluffs. There is no place like that on the south shore and no place to hide.

Come EAST, Euro, come east!

I have secured a house in Eastham on the cape for the weekend, just 100 yards off cape cod bay. It's about 30 feet ASL, so I'm sure I'll be fine. As it stands right now, NHC puts the track right over my house here in western MA. Wouldn't it suck to head to the cape for this thing when the real show could be at home?

Def hooks a little more east too after initial landfall...72h is between Kevin and ORH near Sturbridge vs near the CT/NY/MA border at 12z.

In all seriousness, though...is this type of track still in play with the current motion of the storm. Maybe a bit more east like the GFS? The sat. loop is still not working for me.

I have a feeling this is bad for Narragansett bay....the trend faster and E means there could be serious issues on Sunday morning there. The slow trend east right now is a bad thing for that area. I have a feeling we could see a WST landfall.

I'm not feeling it.

Seriously, south shore is much more densely populated. Many more people are at risk for storm surge flooding on the south shore, both because of population density and because it is a gradually sloping outwash plain. The north shore has some well known vulnerable areas, but along most of the north shore the sound is lined with high bluffs. There is no place like that on the south shore and no place to hide.

I think your part of the north shore is absolutely gorgeous and probably the best part of the whole island in terms of where to live. The area I had in mind for being commercialized was more like NW Suffolk County, like areas around Huntington back to near the Nassau border and into Nassau County. The areas right near the Sound are much less commercialized of course, but once you get a bit south of there, there's a large number of office buildings and malls.

I have a feeling this is bad for Narragansett bay....the trend faster and E means there could be serious issues on Sunday morning there. The slow trend east right now is a bad thing for that area. I have a feeling we could see a WST landfall.

It does look like that general area is setting up to be near ground zero. Even if it's HVN or something..that's bad for Narragansett Bay. The wind field is scary, and those usually don't contract when the storms head north. If anything, they widen.

When I used to vacation in Sag Harbor with my parents in the 70's many areas didn't get NYC on cable and we got our tv on the antenna from Hartford, New Haven and even PVD. Now that area has been completely taken over by NY weekenders...maybe a few potato farms left, but in the 70's it was all farms. The North Fork stayed more rural by going into vineyards.

We used to get CT stations before we got cable. Mostly I remember channel 8.. Many of the FM radio stations are still CT, but LI has a few also (for those of you who still know what broadcast radio is ;) ).

Surprisingly enough Newport really isn't vulnerable to storm surge unless it's a big-time 1938 or Carol type event. Gloria didn't do anything, and Bob's storm surge damage was minor. (Towns farther up the Bay have more storm surge issues.) If the Westerly track does verify I'd expect a more significant storm surge compared to Bob.

It does look like that general area is setting up to be near ground zero. Even if it's HVN or something..that's bad for Narragansett Bay. The wind field is scary, and those usually don't contract when the storms head north. If anything, they widen.

I think I'm favoring a CT/RI border landfall given the usual model biases at this range, but I'm actually slightly concerned for something a bit east of there. We are still 66 hours out.

That would suck for here and the mayor would be mocked like he was in March 2001 lol. Some of my friends in Queens and Brooklyn (some of them live near where noreaster lives and they dont think they'd ever have to evacuate because they think their area is invulnerable) and are already saying this storm is nothing but hype and I was hoping to prove them wrong.

I think I'm favoring a CT/RI border landfall given the usual model biases at this range, but I'm actually slightly concerned for something a bit east of there. We are still 66 hours out.

You held ground on this idea and seems to be unfolding!

How much land track (NC, NJ) if any does 0Z Euro make prior to SNE?

I think that hook to the ne is key. Like we were saying earlier, it could hit ISP and then move over BOS or something like that. Maybe it occurs further north than that..but something to watch. Probably a good call right now. I'd say HVN ro UUU right now is probably the target zone. The other question is whether it's heading 020 when it makes landfall, or 050.

Archived