Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Hurricane Irene - Discussion Part III

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, wtf is up with that. Looked like it may have started to turn northerly on the blacked out frame but that's just a weenie interpretation.

Satelite eclipse season.

"During eclipse season, orbits of geostationary satellites enter Earth's shadow every day. Since most Weather Geostationary satellites are solar powered, and their battery is not able to last through out this period, imaging is suspended during the pass through the shadow. The length of this outage varies through out eclipse season."

Satelite eclipse season.

"During eclipse season, orbits of geostationary satellites enter Earth's shadow every day. Since most Weather Geostationary satellites are solar powered, and their battery is not able to last through out this period, imaging is suspended during the pass through the shadow. The length of this outage varies through out eclipse season."

Thanks for the explanation...still annoying though lol.

Al Gore must be on to something.

Yeah, he's just the best isn't he? Thank goodness we have him around.

It is like everyone else is saying, kind of an edgy feeling more than the excited feeling I get before a Major Nor'easter. Wouldn't be quite so edgy if It wasn't for the 100 foot Silver Maple hanging over my house. Its on the north west side.

So if the track is west of me It would be primarily W or SW winds correct? And the opposite if it tracks to the east?

Movement over the last few hours has definitely been due north, and even if it wobbles back to the west a bit, it has gained much more latitude for the predicted gain in longitude.

Meanwhile, wow! per recon, the wind field has really grown. Hurricane force winds probably 100 miles from the center now easily.

Movement over the last few hours has definitely been due north, and even if it wobbles back to the west a bit, it has gained much more latitude for the predicted gain in longitude.

Meanwhile, wow! per recon, the wind field has really grown. Hurricane force winds probably 100 miles from the center now easily.

2:00 am update will come in at 125 mph or better.... :weight_lift:

Any coastal dwellers boarding up windows? My house in Clinton is 5 miles inland...I'm considering making a trip down early Saturday morning just to board up our large sliding glass door on the back of the house and maybe sky lights...and maybe install a battery operated sump pump. Not sure it's worth the effort. May be fooked either way...

2:00 am update will come in at 125 mph or better.... :weight_lift:

not so sure. FL winds dont really support that. Central pressure keeps dropping steadily. Latest is 936.4mb, and the main effect is an expanding wind field. Really Irene has gained a ton of kinetic energy in the last 24 hours, that is distributed, rather than concentrated in a tight eyewall

Fok him, hypocrit

Yes, as it's local to me it's worthy of a mention. AF1 flew over my head and I guess a few hours earlier the fam was dropped off at the vacation. Back in the day exits to points east were right over my head. Now I get the Falcon USCG which is not much louder than a really big bug.

GGEM looks like over E LI. No 66 hour plot until later so hard to see where it hits in SNE.

ELI ouch, your east trend towards 48 in full effect.

I just recalced the trip because Rick is pretty good. Sticking with the plan but it's close. Don't want to get caught up in border crossing traffic. Lock thi ine...it's coming!

Me and the rest of the hurricane family expect three solid meals a day beginning Monday at your place.

not so sure. FL winds dont really support that. Central pressure keeps dropping steadily. Latest is 936.4mb, and the main effect is an expanding wind field. Really Irene has gained a ton of kinetic energy in the last 24 hours, that is distributed, rather than concentrated in a tight eyewall

Agreed-- conservation of angular momentum would dictate that an expanding wind field would negate the idea of much strengthening of peak winds near the core. It will mean more damage further away from the storm on both sides a la 1944 and Ike.

Any coastal dwellers boarding up windows? My house in Clinton is 5 miles inland...I'm considering making a trip down early Saturday morning just to board up our large sliding glass door on the back of the house and maybe sky lights...and maybe install a battery operated sump pump. Not sure it's worth the effort. May be fooked either way...

Im 100 yards from the water but elevated. I was just out having a pre-cane beer with the neighbors. Consensus is we all pack up and move inland based on experiences with these houses 1/05 and the event of 07 March/April. Pretty sure there would be signficant structural damage if an 80+ wind occurs. In 07 it wasn't that windows broke it was that they "bent" under pressure and we had water damage. Neighbor measured only around 70+ in that storm in a brief gust. Lots of roof damage etc. 80+ it's lights out.

936 is impressive all things considered. Scary really.

Even if the windfield does expand, There should be an increase closer to the eye as it becomes better organized

Looks like Queens or Western Long Island to me:

No way. Disagree on queens. Perhaps eastern Nassua county, but not NYC metro...big maps show it a bit better.The zoomed in WSI map will be out fairly soon and I'll see exactly there, but check out the larger GGEM map here...it barely N of 40N there and already E of NYC longitude...that would probably make landfall over central or E LI...I'd give it a shot at eastern Nassau county, but its probably a little east of there

2vlqmux.jpg

Yeah, he's just the best isn't he? Thank goodness we have him around.

It is like everyone else is saying, kind of an edgy feeling more than the excited feeling I get before a Major Nor'easter. Wouldn't be quite so edgy if It wasn't for the 100 foot Silver Maple hanging over my house. Its on the north west side.

So if the track is west of me It would be primarily W or SW winds correct? And the opposite if it tracks to the east?

If only he had been around from 2001-2005 we wouldn't have spent a trillion dollars in Iraq to massage Bush's ego where he was intent on showing the world how big his balls were at the expense of young American men and women.

Yeah, mostly just moving stuff inside for security, but one house has several large windows and sliding glass doors that need some help. The skylights may or may not be a big deal. Chances are if that is damaged you were going to have roof issues anyway.

No way. Disagree on queens. Perhaps eastern Nassua county, but not NYC metro...big maps show it a bit better.The zoomed in WSI map will be out fairly soon and I'll see exactly there, but check out the larger GGEM map here...it barely N of 40N there and already E of NYC longitude...that would probably make landfall over central or E LI...I'd give it a shot at eastern Nassau county, but its probably a little east of there

2vlqmux.jpg

It's so hard to tell on those Maps, Will-- they cut out the areas under the big "X" lol-- my house is basically the same longitude as the NY/CT border and it looks like it's around there.

Im 100 yards from the water but elevated. I was just out having a pre-cane beer with the neighbors. Consensus is we all pack up and move inland based on experiences with these houses 1/05 and the event of 07 March/April. Pretty sure there would be signficant structural damage if an 80+ wind occurs. In 07 it wasn't that windows broke it was that they "bent" under pressure and we had water damage. Neighbor measured only around 70+ in that storm in a brief gust. Lots of roof damage etc. 80+ it's lights out.

936 is impressive all things considered. Scary really.

I guess at my location...my bigger concern is not directly from the wind...more from branches flying off trees and cracking windows.

Yeah, mostly just moving stuff inside for security, but one house has several large windows and sliding glass doors that need some help. The skylights may or may not be a big deal. Chances are if that is damaged you were going to have roof issues anyway.

Yeah...skylights are bulky and probably can't be well protected from outside anyway...and even if I board up inside...if one breaks...water will find a way in.

Good news in all this is there's nothing of value left in the house. But still afraid of structural damage. I just keep reminding myself there will be a lot of people in the same boat.

It's so hard to tell on those Maps, Will-- they cut out the areas under the big "X" lol-- my house is basically the same longitude as the NY/CT border and it looks like it's around there.

The WSI maps should be out in 20 minutes or so, so I'll see what those show. Those other maps are annoying because they block out the borders of states...but I think the WSI map will show that my thinking is correct...probably central or eastern LI.

The WSI maps should be out in 20 minutes or so, so I'll see what those show. Those other maps are annoying because they block out the borders of states...but I think the WSI map will show that my thinking is correct...probably central or eastern LI.

I agree, I think you are right with your assesment, Somewhere over Long Island irene should make landafall

Archived