Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Hurricane Irene - Discussion Part III

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quick question, maybe I'm missing something but they keep talking about how the ground is saturated in SNE which will make it easier for trees to come down....where is the ground saturated? It's been a while since I got a good rain. Like I said maybe I missed something since I havent been paying to close of attention to the weather before Irene, was just wondering.

30dPDeptNRCC.png

Its like a once per decade event...I'll always love huge snowstorms more than anything, but this type of excitement is different. I'm a little more "edgy" and nervous than I normally am with big winter storms....because there's legitimate concern over major damage in this and also a lot of uncertainty in the exact track even until the last second. Its also like experiencing history...people will remember 1/12/11 for a while but a lot of people will also forget it within 5 years, but people don't forget hurricanes here. '38, '44, Carol, Donna, Gloria, Bob....people talk about those years later and even generations later.

We don;t know if this storm will be worthy of being placed with that group, but its still exciting to track the possibility.

I remember the feeling I had with Bob and never felt the same since. It's something that is really unique. Snowstorms are a dime a dozen these days, Hurricanes aren't.

I breezed through here with no traffic in 12/09, but maybe I was lucky. I guess it was maybe 3 PM. I made it home to here near ALB like 11 PM. Its almost straight east from there.

Careful with that route. Hit it at the wrong time, multiple hour delays possible at Blue Water Bridge in Port Huron.

---

I am here: http://maps.google.c...4415,-73.351328

I think that was initalized off of a crack pipe

I certainly don't buy that track...but if the Euro keeps showing it until 36 hours out, then we might have to take it seriously. But given we are still 66-72h out, there is really no reason to believe it given all the usual biases we have seen time and time again with TCs in the northeast.

I remember the feeling I had with Bob and never felt the same since. It's something that is really unique. Snowstorms are a dime a dozen these days, Hurricanes aren't.

We may have to start a poll to see how you go out....noose, toaster in the tub, jump off the Golden Gate, suck on an exhaust pipe?

Hard to believe, Record Flood, record snows, tornado,record hot day, earthquake, hurricane, just unreal really. I am stunned tonight.

Thanks! Definitely wasn't aware that areas in CT and Metro NYC were that above average. Hadn't noticed since i'm in the 0-2 range.

The past month has been very wet, if you go back 60 days you can see it's actually been rather dry...but lots of rain over the past few weeks. Something that definitely would enhance wind damage potential.

60dPDeptNRCC.png

I certainly don't buy that track...but if the Euro keeps showing it until 36 hours out, then we might have to take it seriously. But given we are still 66-72h out, there is really no reason to believe it given all the usual biases we have seen time and time again with TCs in the northeast.

Uk......that bi*ch was over like Georgia's Bank like 48 hours ago.

we need better hurricane names. Irene is the name of a one legged japanese girl (get it?), when are we gonna get Hurricane Torstein or Svengdo. Something with 125 MPH winds should be named accordingly. anyway, back on topic...

Lol, I'd think anyone with two brain cells to rub together gets it.

One thing I don't buy is that it would all of a sudden veer northeast after NJ as if it was a Nor'easter following the coastal front, etc. I think it will move on a very gradual bend NNE and no abrupt fades NE. If it is near NYC it ends up in like northern NH. If it crosses eastern LI then sure it heads to like BOS....

Its mine today as well. Happy Birthday!

we need better hurricane names. Irene is the name of a one legged japanese girl (get it?), when are we gonna get Hurricane Torstein or Svengdo. Something with 125 MPH winds should be named accordingly. anyway, back on topic...

Posted that earlier, west PAC has , Talas, nanmadol, manly beast names. Irene is your Aunt or the girl who never got married and lives with her elderly sistah.

Quick question, maybe I'm missing something but they keep talking about how the ground is saturated in SNE which will make it easier for trees to come down....where is the ground saturated? It's been a while since I got a good rain. Like I said maybe I missed something since I havent been paying to close of attention to the weather before Irene, was just wondering.

August 14.

Archived