wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Hurricane Irene - Discussion Part III

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some decent shifts west since last night. Hard to believe that this could almost be a lock for is in New England. After all the storms over the years that have gotten our hopes up only to be dashed at the last moment. I think its safe to say this one is NOT a drill!

Even if it tracks E of the current guidance, SNE will be crushed. First time ever I actually feel like I may need to prep for a storm (i.e. get goods).

Woot!

Hey Nick, do you know a site, that can compare previous model tracks...even if it's just adjusting the URL to 18z instead of 00z? I used to know one last year, but I don't know what site it was.

doesn't MIT have something?

I just look at Colorado State or Allan's Model site. You can look at the previous tracks and compare them...but no side by side or loop type thing.

doesn't MIT have something?

I just look at Colorado State or Allan's Model site. You can look at the previous tracks and compare them...but no side by side or loop type thing.

Yeah I was just looking for something that had all the models and you could just change the URL to say 18 instead of 00z or something like that. I thought it was on this page, but whatever. It's all good.

http://moe.met.fsu.edu/~acevans/models/

Yeah I was just looking for something that had all the models and you could just change the URL to say 18 instead of 00z or something like that. I thought it was on this page, but whatever. It's all good.

http://moe.met.fsu.e...acevans/models/

Maybe there will be something on this page that will help you...

http://www.atmos.albany.edu/student/greenstein/models.html

Some decent shifts west since last night. Hard to believe that this could almost be a lock for is in New England. After all the storms over the years that have gotten our hopes up only to be dashed at the last moment. I think its safe to say this one is NOT a drill!

Even if it tracks E of the current guidance, SNE will be crushed. First time ever I actually feel like I may need to prep for a storm (i.e. get goods).

Woot!

Agreed, first time I'm actually apprehensive about being on the receiving end of a storm, double checking things around my house and taking down dead/older trees.

Yeah, nothing can be worse than 4 days without power in mid-December.

Twelve here. We'll still have to deal with many of the same issues though if anyone has multi-day outages.

- No power means gas pumps don't have power. Where will you get more gas for the generator? Our generator takes about 15 gallons for a 24 run.

- Nearly our whole town is on well water. No power, no water. I pretty sure that if I had to drink from our lake, I'd want to boil it first. That's going to get old fast. (Luckily the generator runs the stove, well pump, fridge and freezer, etc.)

- If you don't have a generator, your food's going to go bad fast.

- Cell towers will get overloaded or lose power themselves. Our neighborhood is fighting a cell tower installation; I know that those generators diesel tanks don't hold enough for a multi-day outage. When the tornadoes went through western MA earlier this summer, their cell towers quickly got overloaded in Springfield.

If you really think you're going to have a multi-day outage, consider batteries, a generator with plenty of gas, a new filter for it if you're going to be running it that much, chainsaw (gas & oil), make sure you know where your car cell charger is, etc.

- monadnocks

NAM yeah yeah not a hurricane model...but significant in that the first trough is out of here pretty quickly and the second one is weaker/further north at least through 48-60...more room for the hurricane.

First time I remember that it just gets more menacing as it approaches. My recollection of Gloria is that by about H -72 they knew it was coming and I suspect by Thursday night we will "know" this is coming.

lol ....barely though. 12 days here in Auburn NH

The icestorm and feb 2010 windstorm were such rare events though. Not much time to prepare. There's about 5 days to prepare for this one. Is it me or in events that we talk about major outages, it really is never that bad. But then again, I've never been in a 'cane.

The icestorm and feb 2010 windstorm were such rare events though. Not much time to prepare. There's about 5 days to prepare for this one. Is it me or in events that we talk about major outages, it really is never that bad. But then again, I've never been in a 'cane.

I think you're right, at least for us north of the MA border and away from the coast. hurricanes are uncommon and therefore fun up here, but the hype has to be put in perspective for NNH. There can be pockets of wind effects, and some folks will lose power but that happens with summer squall lines - the rain impact remains to be seen - intriguing with Irene is the chance for alot of water here due to fore-running rains.

I think you're right, at least for us north of the MA border and away from the coast. hurricanes are uncommon and therefore fun up here, but the hype has to be put in perspective for NNH. There can be pockets of wind effects, and some folks will lose power but that happens with summer squall lines - the rain impact remains to be seen - intriguing with Irene is the chance for alot of water here due to fore-running rains.

Yea. Part of me wants Irene east of me for epic rains. Part of me wants Irene to go west of me for epic wind. Pretty good position to be in right now.

Archived