joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Irene - Discussion Part III

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing that seems to be not getting too much attention is the tide cycle for this weekend. As bad as Bob was in '91 (I was in S. Yarmouth on the Cape), that hit at dead low tide. This one is, based on current schedule, hitting at high tide during an abnormally high tide cycle (1-2.5 feet above normal). That is really bad news and will be serious stuff for people on the SNE south coast - and NYC based on the 18Z GFS. Then, we have the eye passing 15 miles to the west of my house. Oh boy.

I was here for both Gloria and Bob. I still have a recording of WBZ Paul Cousins (sp?) hyping Gloria - cat 3 off the jersey shore and moving about 35mph i think. Went right over SNH.

I chased Bob and spent the aftn filming at Cape Ann. Have good vid of the eye passage. Waves after the eye passed (when the WNW wind blew the tops of the incoming rollers) were gorgeous in the setting sunlight.

As for anything worth filming besides the waves from either one: not so much.

Beaches are a waste of time, sand in the teeth (and other spots) for boring wave photos?. A background or point of reference is a must, I won't make that mistake again....

Out here in Michigan dealing with severe weather this evening. My parents and siblings live about 15 miles east of Worcester, Mass, and I've been toying with the idea of getting a last minute ticket to Logan to see them from Friday night/Saturday morning until Tuesday night... mostly to help with clean-up efforts. Think it's worth it?

There are a lot of smart posters in this thread who are falling victim to the extreme hype. Any time a bona fide hurricane strikes the Southern New England Coast it's a huge story....but a weakening Cat 1 hurricane moving up the coast slower than usual won't make the record books...and by Satruday a lot of these same people are gonna be on here complaining how bad Irene looks on satellite.

Beggars can't be choosers and I'm elated that it looks like I have a decent shot to get hurricane force winds, I'm just disappointed this one isn't going to top Bob and will probably be a wetter, more tropical Gloria. Hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised and it will pack more a punch but the slow forward speed is preventing me from falling victim to the hype.

Archived