joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Irene - Discussion Part III

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just dug my gennie out of the garage. It hadn't been started in over 2 years. The gas that was in it had the consistency of chocolate sauce and smelled worse. I dumped the old gas (never mind), cleaned out the fuel lines and the carb, added new gas and it started on the second pull. hi five

You realize we both just jinxed this storm and now it will come nowhere near NE. Oh well

Just secured one of the last available generators out here. Subaru engine, 10,000 watts. I was going to get a new one this fall anyway. I figured with the large size one I can help the elderly neighbor if need be.

New England folks don't go in those threads because we get lambasted when we do

Good idea I guess. I don't know what's going on. I posted in there 5 minutes ago about the ERC and it was just deleted. Tip posted also, and it was deleted. The last post was 50 minutes ago... what the heck are the idiot mods doing now

I think that is the downside to having multiple threads cause people tend to focus on the model thread and you lose some of the live disco

Haha I know.. I mean what the hell does "live" mean? How many threads for one storm can you have? IMO its a pain in the ass having multiple threads.

Don't remember the last time I saw this in our forecast. Cool and rainy FTW.

Saturday: Rain likely, mainly after 3pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 75. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.

Saturday Night: Rain. Low around 63. Chance of precipitation is 80%.

Sunday: Tropical storm conditions possible. Rain. The rain could be heavy at times. High near 66. Chance of precipitation is 90%.

Sunday Night: Tropical storm conditions possible. Rain likely. Cloudy, with a low around 54. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Monday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 70.

Monday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 49.

Tuesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 73.

Tuesday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 53.

Wednesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 74.

During Bob the governor ordered a State of Emergancy but that was on a weekday. All travel had to be completed by 11am or so. Business all closed. Routh 128 was empty in the afternoon as I remember.

I don't recall any SOE enforcement for either Bob or Gloria. I drove home from a hurricane party in Framingham during Gloria and made it to the beach for Bob. Blizzard of '78 was an entirely different story, multiple citations ......:thumbsdown:

1938 was moving at over 50 kt...this thing just won't be moving fast enough to hold intensity like that one did.

Agreed in principle ...a little concerned though how the trough in the GL has been trending sharper. That, combined with seasonal trend for more amplitude with troughs nearing our longitude has me just shy of spooked that this won't accelerate. Then the 18z GFS came in going from VA Capes latitude to central LI in 12 hours, then from there to western ME; that's about 22kts and the fastest run yet. That's not really "slow" as was thought yesterday at this time. That may also be why the 18z manages low 960smb pressure over central LI like that.

Archived