• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Hurricane Irene - Discussion Part III

Baroclinic Zone

Hope to see some snow at Yosemite, but not sure if I can get high enough.

Anyways, don't want to piss Will and company off with the OT. However, you better prepare for a sh*tload of rain.

When I was at Yosemite in mid July, you could see snow off in the distance on some of the high peaks. There was also a bit in the woods up around Glacier Point/Badger Pass but that snow is most definitely melted..

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyways, don't want to piss Will and company off with the OT. However, you better prepare for a sh*tload of rain.

Where are you planning to go in Yosemite? I went in July several years ago, and there was no snow anywhere....but we basically stuck near the valley and the immediate cliffs around it...I don't know what sorts of access you have to the higher ranges in the park?

Now, in Rocky Mountain in Colorado, as well as Hurricane Ridge in the Olympics, there was snow right there, which in the middle of summer was pretty cool.

through 12 hours the euro is west

Hah! If it goes further west, I might get fringe impacts, lol.

And sorry to butt in guys, but I am living vicariously through you guys...though, I have to admit, I would in no way, shape, or form if I LIVED in your area want this thing coming over my house...I enjoy extreme weather, just not extreme weather that destroys my property, or anyone's for that matter.

Already have the kayaks out, hoping for some heavy water Mon/Tues. If it still looks like a go Friday morning we'll spend most of the day in storm prep mode at the various job sites.

she sure does look ragged...i don't know if anyone can claim ERC anymore...she's looked shredded for a while now

It's not a "claim." Microwave imagery clearly shows concentric eyewalls, and this is a classic evolution of a ERC, where the eye fills in, and overall satellite presentation looks like crap for a while.

Yes a few areas. Defintely a nice weenie snowpack over the high Sierra. The problem was that I didn't have a good vantage point as to where I was, but guessed the nrn Sierra based on flight track. It defintely was more relegated to the highest peaks, but very visible.

That matched the data we talked about on the phone...the highest peaks there still had snow pack...rare for this time of year. They are usually melted out by then but they had record snow out there this spring/early summer. Amazing to see.

Recon showed it to. Pretty classic ERC.

Maybe the only thing that isn't necessarily classic is that pressure is still falling steadily. Also per recon, the outer eyewall has already started to contract a good bit. Maaaybe a sign that Irene gets through this fairly quickly (i.e. eye clears out by late tomorrow morning). But I really don't know much about ERCs, beyond ability to observe one happening lol

Maybe the only thing that isn't necessarily classic is that pressure is still falling steadily. Also per recon, the outer eyewall has already started to contract a good bit. Maaaybe a sign that Irene gets through this fairly quickly (i.e. eye clears out by late tomorrow morning). But I really don't know much about ERCs, beyond ability to observe one happening lol

I'd say that's probably a good thing though. Says a lot about the system and it's environment that even during an ERC it's central pressure is able to drop.

?

Pressure keeps dropping (by far lowest it's been) and the satellite is an obvious ERC. What do you mean?

just an observation...her satellite appearance is ragged...i don't know how long an ERC usually takes, but when I got home from work a little before 5pm, people were already talking about her being in the process of an ERC (or about to undergo an ERC)...it's 2am now, she still looks ragged....well, i guess it could be another ERC? don't know if there is an average time between ERCs?

just an observation...her satellite appearance is ragged...i don't know how long an ERC usually takes, but when I got home from work a little before 5pm, people were already talking about her being in the process of an ERC (or about to undergo an ERC)...it's 2am now, she still looks ragged....well, i guess it could be another ERC? don't know if there is an average time between ERCs?

ERCs usually take about 24 to 36 hours to complete

Archived