• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
5.8 Earthquake Aug 23, 2011

Kmlwx

I've been in a bunch of quakes, and like weather events, each one is really unique-- feels completely different. The Northridge quake was extremely violent and very vertical-- you really felt things going up and down, in a fast, jerky motion. We had one a years or two ago that was mellow and horizontal-- like slipping on ice-- it just felt like everything was sliding. Each one is its own thing.

same.. it felt like many west coast ones i've felt.

i hear the washington monument is leaning! ;)

I've been in a bunch of quakes, and like weather events, each one is really unique-- feels completely different. The Northridge quake was extremely violent and very vertical-- you really felt things going up and down, in a fast, jerky motion. We had one a years or two ago that was mellow and horizontal-- like slipping on ice-- it just felt like everything was sliding. Each one is its own thing.

This was like the slipping on ice one.. Axis of motion was NE/SW from my location.

Here at work in Frederick, some pictures are now hanging crooked on the walls. At home, wife grabbed up the two-year old and ran outside, as did all the neighbors. She said she thought the ceiling was going to fall in.

No cell communication for about 20 minutes, though we were texting each other successfully.

Hope my pictures at home are all on straight :(

A nuclear power plant located in Louisa County, the epicenter of the earthquake in Virginia, has shut down.

The North Anna Power Station, operated by Dominion Power, has two reactors. The plant declared an "unusual event" in the wake of the 5.9 magnitude quake, which is the lowest stage on the plant's emergency scale.

As a result, the plant has been shut down.

7th floor. Only heard the dropped ceilings shaking until the big S-wave bump at the end. Got the F out then.

Damn cell lines jammed immediately.

Fun stuff.

pretty much the same. when i looked out and saw my boss running for the exit i figured it was a big deal. ;)

i was unable to get any cell service at all.. it's nice how these things work when you need them.

Hope my pictures at home are all on straight :(

With how hard my house was shaking, I was surprised it was centered so far away, but it was kind of cool/exciting to experience. Now, it might be a good time to have the house inspected lol.

Felt it in Silver Spring. At first I thought it was someone running on the floor, then it kept going and getting stronger. Funny, peoples' heads popped up out of their cubes like prairie dogs. lol Worst earthquake of my life. Actually saw the columns of the building swaying. On the third floor about 500 feet from the nearest stairwell. If the building fell, I wouldn't have made it. Hope this doesn't become a yearly thing. My nerves can't handle this.

I see folks using the word "violent" a lot.

That's actually a semi-technical term with a specific meaning-- i.e., that the quake produced MM IX shaking or higher. Usually in violent shaking, you have kitchen cupboards and refrigerators flying open and emptying and buildings collapsing and things like that. I don't think this quake produced violent shaking.

Here's an entry about the MM scale: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercalli_intensity_scale

Some reports of bricks off buildings here in Baltimore

where is NEBaltiZen? I wanna know how it felt in a high rise

No such luck. Was working in the Towson office today (next to courthouse). 7 floors up, rather than 20.

And, um, 7 was plenty high up. Talking to clients, dawning realization that it was an earthquake, mostly when the large table began to move.

None of my co-workers at my usual office are answering the phone, so I am guessing they are outside at the moment. Will be curious myself how that felt.

I see folks using the word "violent" a lot.

That's actually a semi-technical term with a specific meaning-- i.e., that the quake produced MM IX shaking or higher. Usually in violent shaking, you have kitchen cupboards and refrigerators flying open and emptying and buildings collapsing and things like that. I don't think this quake produced violent shaking.

Here's an entry about the MM scale: http://en.wikipedia....intensity_scale

Based on that scale, I'd call it moderate.