• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tulip Trouncer 5........The Comeback

Mr Torchey

I would say it's a little confusion added to the mix. Not necessarily negativity.

Thanks Scott. Was starting to feel like I was on ignore because I've never met you guys / not involved in the bickering.

The toaster talk that ended thread IV was definitely premature. I think we've been riding the Euro / Euro ensembles hard (it has been the most consistent model until 12z), so when it drops an egg it hurts. I hate to bring this down to nowcast, but have yet to see a consensus model solution. Definitely confusing among the worst modeled storm this season.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like many on here, I've lost a lot of enthusiasm for this event. It looks especially putrid out here in the western zones as the upper level energy doesn't appear to capture the storm in time for a big dump. I was worried about the large number of waves in the pattern several days ago when examining this whole synoptic setup. Such short wave lengths between the shortwaves coming through the long wave trough is not usually a good recipe for a classic snow bomb in western New England. Areas to the E from N ORH county into interior SE NH and interior SW ME look better to get a warning level event.

I still think it will snow around here, but barring a last minute meteorological Hail Mary pass, it will not be a big deal. My call is 3-5 inches for the Berkshire Valley, 5-7 inches for the hilltowns above 1.5K. The CT River valley will probably be 1-3 inches of slop with perhaps a bit more going N toward VT. These numbers may, in fact, be a bit optimistic. Definitely not the 12"+ blue snow bomb that it could've been. Guess we should just take whatever bone Mother Nature throws us as it's April 1st tomorrow. Winter left during the first week of Feb. and never really came back.

Well might as well hope for the best...there's no turning back now. Can't say I completely understand what it's doing. Seems a little too convective loving.

From a weenie stanpoint, I am concerned, but that superior resoloution of the EURO maybe finding that convection a bit more provocative than it should.

I am sure the idea has some merit, though.

Like many on here, I've lost a lot of enthusiasm for this event. It looks especially putrid out here in the western zones as the upper level energy doesn't appear to capture the storm in time for a big dump. I was worried about the large number of waves in the pattern several days ago when examining this whole synoptic setup. Such short wave lengths between the shortwaves coming through the long wave trough is not usually a good recipe for a classic snow bomb in western New England. Areas to the E from N ORH county into interior SE NH and interior SW ME look better to get a warning level event.

I still think it will snow around here, but barring a last minute meteorological Hail Mary pass, it will not be a big deal. My call is 3-5 inches for the Berkshire Valley, 5-7 inches for the hilltowns above 1.5K. The CT River valley will probably be 1-3 inches of slop with perhaps a bit more going N toward VT. These numbers may, in fact, be a bit optimistic. Definitely not the 12"+ blue snow bomb that it could've been. Guess we should just take whatever bone Mother Nature throws us as it's April 1st tomorrow. Winter left during the first week of Feb. and never really came back.

If I get .5" of qpf here, I will view it as a victory of sorts as I think that's generous.

39.8/28

Thanks Scott. Was starting to feel like I was on ignore because I've never met you guys / not involved in the bickering.

The toaster talk that ended thread IV was definitely premature. I think we've been riding the Euro / Euro ensembles hard (it has been the most consistent model until 12z), so when it drops an egg it hurts. I hate to bring this down to nowcast, but have yet to see a consensus model solution. Definitely confusing among the worst modeled storm this season.

There is going to be some surprises good and bad with this one, Was not much talk of another storm similar to this one that the euro shows next weds....

BOX doubles down, albeit with lower amounts:

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TAUNTON MA

312 PM EDT THU MAR 31 2011

...HEAVY SNOW EXPECTED ACROSS INTERIOR SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND...

MAZ002>004-008-009-026-NHZ011-015-010315-

/O.CON.KBOX.WS.W.0010.110401T0000Z-110402T0600Z/

WESTERN FRANKLIN MA-EASTERN FRANKLIN MA-NORTHERN WORCESTER MA-

WESTERN HAMPSHIRE MA-WESTERN HAMPDEN MA-NORTHERN MIDDLESEX MA-

CHESHIRE NH-WESTERN AND CENTRAL HILLSBOROUGH NH-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...CHARLEMONT...GREENFIELD...ORANGE...

BARRE...FITCHBURG...CHESTERFIELD...BLANDFORD...AYER...JAFFREY...

KEENE...PETERBOROUGH...WEARE

312 PM EDT THU MAR 31 2011

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 8 PM THIS EVENING

TO 2 AM EDT SATURDAY...

A WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 8 PM THIS EVENING

TO 2 AM EDT SATURDAY.

* LOCATIONS...MUCH OF SOUTHWEST NEW HAMPSHIRE AND PARTS OF WESTERN

AND NORTH CENTRAL MASSACHUSETTS.

* HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...6 TO 10 INCHES OF SNOW.

* TIMING...RAIN WILL CHANGE TO SNOW EARLY TONIGHT AND BECOME HEAVY

AT TIMES OVERNIGHT INTO FRIDAY MORNING. LIGHT SNOW WILL PERSIST

FRIDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING.

* WINDS...NORTH AROUND 10 MPH. GUSTS UP TO 30 MPH ACROSS HIGHER

ELEVATIONS.

* IMPACTS...TRAVEL MAY BE DIFFICULT DURING THE FRIDAY MORNING

COMMUTE DUE TO SNOW COVERED ROADS AND POOR VISIBILITY. PLAN ON

EXTRA TRAVEL TIME. THE WEIGHT OF THE SNOW MAY ALSO BRING DOWN

TREE BRANCHES OR POWER LINES.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WARNING IS ISSUED FOR AN AVERAGE OF 6 OR MORE

INCHES OF SNOW IN A 12 HOUR PERIOD

From a weenie stanpoint, I am concerned, but that superior resoloution of the EURO maybe finding that convection a bit more provocative than it should.

I am sure the idea has some merit, though.

Models are models...they'll always lay an egg at some point. It's never good to live and die by them, but when they all sort of exhibit a trend..it's a little concerning. We'll just have to see what's up. Hopefully the euro is too far east and not allowing the QPF to be distributed wide enough. The euro certainly has laid an egg inside 24 hrs..in fact I think the GFS has done fairly well IIRC this year during that time. Of course, it doesn't mean it has to apply in this situation.

Models are models...they'll always lay an egg at some point. It's never good to live and die by them, but when they all sort of exhibit a trend..it's a little concerning. We'll just have to see what's up. Hopefully the euro is too far east and not allowing the QPF to be distributed wide enough. The euro certainly has laid an egg inside 24 hrs..in fact I think the GFS has done fairly well IIRC this year during that time. Of course, it doesn't mean it has to apply in this situation.

Yeah I agree. It will b einteresting to see how the 18z runs go.

CTRain I was using sarcasm when I said no one saw it coming. It has looked fairly obvious, for most of us, that this is not going to be anything major for several days.

Most of the weenies are beyond the 3rd and 4th stages of grief at this point, time to accept what it is and move on.

Either Ashburnham if it can get going a bit quicker, or Haverhill if not.

Yeah, I'd still think northern ORH county over towards northern Essex County would be a good starting point... depends on just how much elevation matters in this one. Of course, its going to help but if it comes down hard enough at the right time of day it may not matter all that much. Its not like we are talking 3,000 feet of elevational differences... still, the CP in northern MA may do better than high terrain down south of the Pike if it comes down hard enough. There's still some sneaky warmth at 800mb south of the Pike on a lot of these models.

CTRain I was using sarcasm when I said no one saw it coming. It has looked fairly obvious, for most of us, that this is not going to be anything major for several days.

Most of the weenies are beyond the 3rd and 4th stages of grief at this point, time to accept what it is and move on.

lol I gotcha. Yeah for the last 48 hours things have gone downhill each set of run.

Either Ashburnham if it can get going a bit quicker, or Haverhill if not.

originally I was thinking about heading to the higher terrain north of Will...but now it seems as though this storm is less organized and further east...maybe i should just hike to the top of Blue Hills and have a weenie campout!

Archived