joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tulip Trouncer Threat III - April Fool's Joke

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro ensembles look like they go very close or a few miles se of the BM, but they aren't nearly as intense as the op run. They are closer to SNE as compared to 00z, but also faster. I figured they would come nw, given what the op run did.

They still go sub-990 as they cross the BM...that's pretty intense for an ensemble mean. Not 982 like the op run though.

Euro ensembles almost directly over the BM...potent too.

It actually looks like the Euro ensembles were run from Ray's computer

Euro ensembles look like they go very close or a few miles se of the BM, but they aren't nearly as intense as the op run. They are closer to SNE as compared to 00z, but also faster. I figured they would come nw, given what the op run did.

Gotta love the clustering of the solution to near the BM even at this time frame. First nor'easter threat in over a month, the monotony of march would be worth it if this crushes us on the CP with all caveats about climo and april being to warm. If the middle of the curve is a BM track, we have a good shot ~60% imo of seeing snow that accums even on the CP and a much great shot in ORH or elevation.

Hmmm... there must be some members in there that are pretty far east. Given where the OP is, I thought there'd be more members heading westward... guess there's still plenty of them that indicate this as a non-event.

OP run is definitely a western outlier among the ensemble members...but it doesn't mean its wrong either. Though with other guidance a bit east, I'd probably lean a bit closer to the ensemble mean, but still keep in mind that the higher res OP run could be seeing something.

WOW - BOX going with mostly snow p-type for MBY in the city!

Thursday Night: A chance of rain before midnight, then a chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 32. Northeast wind between 11 and 16 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.

Friday: Snow likely. Cloudy and breezy, with a high near 35. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Friday Night: Snow likely, mainly before 9pm. Cloudy, with a low around 34. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Discussion:

FRI INTO SAT...WITH MODELS GENERALLY IN FAIR AGREEMENT FOR THE TIMING AND NATURE OF A SHORTWAVE APPROACHING AND DEEPENING FROM THE OH VALLEY...HAVE USED A BLEND OF GFS AND ECMWF LONG RANGE GUIDANCE FOR FCST. BOTH SUGGEST STRONG CYCLOGENESIS AS THE WAVE APPROACHES THE COAST AND BEGINS TO AFFECT A LLVL COASTAL FRONT. THE UPPER LVL JETASSOCIATED WITH THE FRONT STRENGTHENS SOMEWHAT IN RESPONSE TO SIGNIFICANT HEIGHT FALLS FROM UPSTREAM...ENHANCING LLVL BAROCLINICITY AND ASSISTING IN LLVL HEIGHT FALLS. THE TROF ALOFT TAKES ON A VERY NEGATIVE TILT AND BEGINS TO DEEPEN TO A CUTOFF OVERNIGHT. THIS WILL AID IN SIGNIFICANT DYNAMIC HEIGHT FALLS THANKS TO THE FORMATION OF DIFFLUENCE ALOFT DOWNSTREAM OF THE TROF AND THE UPPER JET INCREASING AND SLIDING SUCH THAT THE LEFT EXIT REGION IS LOCATED ON TOP OF THE SFC LOW. DUE TO MODEL AGREEMENT IN THIS STRONG SYNOPTICALLY FORCED LIFTING...EXPECT DYNAMIC COOLING TO BE SIGNIFICANT EVEN THOUGH THE LOW PASSES W OF THE BENCHMARK INTO FRIDAY...YIELDING LLVL TEMPS COOL ENOUGH FOR SNOW ACROSS MUCH OF THEFA. LIKED THE MIDNIGHT CREWS ASSESSMENT OF POTENTIAL IMPACTS SO WILLBREAK IT DOWN AGAIN HERE...HOWEVER NOTE THAT CONFIDENCE IS STILL GENERALLY LOW IN TIMING AND FINAL OUTCOME.

This amplifying progressive flow is the key. I still think a more east phasing is in the cards (as of now); in spite of a seeming consensus of the 12z suites (NAM aside).

Didn't hear any additional comment after I mentioned it but then I think there was a flurry of posts that burried it...

The GGEM has another system of similar potency 4 days later on into next week.

Maybe April snow on snow events for CNE and NNE...

Let's get through tomorrows model runs first though.

:whistle:

This amplifying progressive flow is the key. I still think a more east phasing is in the cards (as of now); in spite of a seeming consensus of the 12z suites (NAM aside).

You probably would have to edge a little east of the euro op, but I would defintely keep that solution in mind. It's hard not to get excited when you see what models are spitting out. The dynamics in this are pretty intense.

awesome afd out of box :snowman:

SNOWFALL...

WITH SIGNIFICANT DYNAMIC COOLING POTENTIAL GIVEN THE BLEND

USED...ONLY EXACT TRACK WILL DETERMINE WHERE RAIN/SNOW LINE

ULTIMATELY LIES. GUIDANCE BRINGS THE LOW JUST W OF THE BENCHMARK

WITH TROWAL FORMATION LIKELY ADVECTING WARM AIR IN ADVANCE OF THE

DEEPENING SFC LOW. EXPECT THAT THE S COAST...CAPE AND ISLANDS WILL

SEE A BRIEF CHANGE OVER INTO THE MORNING FRI BEFORE RETURNING TO

ALL SNOW AS THE LOW DEEPENS AND SHIFTS E. GIVEN THE TROWAL SETUP

EXPECT THAT PRECIP WILL BE LIKELY ACROSS ENTIRE FA DURING THE DAY

FRI...FROM ISENTROPIC LIFT AHEAD OF THE LOW...THEN DEFORMATION

WRAP AROUND AS THE LOW EXITS TO THE E. MOISTURE WILL NOT BE AN

ISSUE AS THE WARM CONVEYOR IS PULLING MARITIME AIR INTO THE

SYSTEM. THEREFORE SNOW RATIOS WILL BE THE DECIDING FACTOR. DO NOT

EXPECT RATIOS TO BE HIGH TOWARDS THE SE...WHERE WARM AIR WILL

YIELD A MORE HEAVY WET SNOW. HIGHER TOTALS WILL GENERALLY BE W OF

ORH...WHERE RATIOS WILL BE HIGHER. GIVEN ALL OF THESE

FACTORS...ADVISORY LEVEL SNOW IS POSSIBLE OVER SE MASS AND

RI...WITH WARNING LEVEL SNOW POSSIBLE OVER THE INTERIOR BASED ON

CURRENT TRENDS.

WOW - BOX going with mostly snow p-type for MBY in the city!

Thursday Night: A chance of rain before midnight, then a chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 32. Northeast wind between 11 and 16 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.

Friday: Snow likely. Cloudy and breezy, with a high near 35. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Friday Night: Snow likely, mainly before 9pm. Cloudy, with a low around 34. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Discussion:

thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Still far out, I know, but sounds like they are confident that dynamic cooling as currently depicted would be sufficient to overcome daytime sun angle / surface temps in Boston metro

Archived