• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
When will LWX start talking about the 12/5 threat

Ger

everyone will stay pretty wimpy on it for now im sure. even last yr it was tough to get anyone to be bullish after we'd already been buried once or twice.

in this case it would be hard to be too bullish at least now.

everyone will stay pretty wimpy on it for now im sure. even last yr it was tough to get anyone to be bullish after we'd already been buried once or twice.

in this case it would be hard to be too bullish at least now.

Yeah, after the early February blizzard tho they kinda went gung-ho on the 9/10 event: I think I remember them calling for 20-30 inches area-wide in the WSW

Can anyone explain what accounts for the lack of sleet in our recent snowstorms (going all the way back to 3/1/09) other than the obvious explanation: plenty cold air? In our big ones we usually battle the sleet line...if you extrapolate both the possible storms on 12/5 and 12/9-10 neither one, right now, looks like we'd have to worry about any mixed PCPN

Can anyone explain what accounts for the lack of sleet in our recent snowstorms (going all the way back to 3/1/09) other than the obvious explanation: plenty cold air? In our big ones we usually battle the sleet line...if you extrapolate both the possible storms on 12/5 and 12/9-10 neither one, right now, looks like we'd have to worry about any mixed PCPN

Plenty of cold air and being on the western side of the storm?

The blocking ... significant sleet events around here are usually caused by the upper level energy going up into the Ohio Valley, but enough cold air remains banked against the mountains closer to the surface.

It's about the temperatures and dynamics in the atmosphere.

Yes and Ros Runner from NBC12 on Twitter is already talking about snow being possible on Sunday, He says snow is possible with highest chance north of Richmond.

NBC 12 has always been overly conservative in their forecasts....while 6 and 8 are usually the first to mention even the slightest chance of a flake.

I don't think there's a need to hype anything up at this point. It's at the far end of the long-range forecast.

I agree with this. Its still a week away, at earliest and things could change. I think they're being prudent and smart. Especially around here. One word of snow and people tend to go crazy.

New guy on NBC 4 DC at 11 p.m. had chance of snow Sunday in his extended forecast.. I think forums like this, weather blogs, accuweather, etc, are forcing T.V. mets to take greater risks in mentioning snow chances than they would have before.

Earlier today, on some D.C. blog, they were talking about how the Washington Post local site was already teasing a chance of snow for the weekend.. I think t.v. mets are seeing this, and under pressure from their station managers to also step up and be a tad bolder, even though in years past they would have waited much longer to mention the possibility.

Despite the new media paradim, LWX should be under no similar pressure to toss out the "snow" word this early.

If you want to see a conservative forecast check out ABC7's forecast; they just say mostly sunny skies for the weekend. It's not unusual to see ABC7 jump in later than the other stations.

I also don't think the new guy at NBC4 is quite as conservative as Bob Ryan was; maybe he liked something from the latest model runs.

Looks like they were wise not to get too excited about the dec 5 threat as the euro and its ensembles have backed off on it and now have the cold air overwhelming everything. The euro also got rid of its goofy super strong closed low that the 12Z 240 hour forecast had near LA. It's still got a southern stream shortwave but a much weaker one.

Looks like they were wise not to get too excited about the dec 5 threat as the euro and its ensembles have backed off on it and now have the cold air overwhelming everything. The euro also got rid of its goofy super strong closed low that the 12Z 240 hour forecast had near LA. It's still got a southern stream shortwave but a much weaker one.

looks like the threats are over..just like that. Enjoy your cold and snowless

Archived