Newest Member
    northernriwx
March 30 and April Fools Day Potential

stormtracker

• Replies 744
  • Created
  • Last Reply

StormTotalSnow.png

The saddest part of all is I looked at this map saw the .5 inches of snow for my area and got excited for what might be the 3rd- biggest storm of the season here.

Then I realized that 1) we're talking about a forecast of .5 inches of snow!!, and 2) if we'd gotten HALF the forecasted snow this year I'd be sitting at climo for the year instead of at 40%. I seem to recall a forecast of 2 inches only 2 days ago that ended up 48 degrees and sunny skies.

There have been 6 storms at DC since 1888 in the 3-6" range (well, none have made it to 6") Mar 30 or later. 4 happened in April. The most recent was 1964, the rest were all pre 1925.

That's an odd stat. What you're basically saying is that there have been two snow storms on the last two days of March in DC in recorded history.

That's an odd stat. What you're basically saying is that there have been two snow storms on the last two days of March in DC in recorded history.

2 storms greater than 3".. looks like 2 others of less.

looks like rain within 20 miles of I95, if not further west

I would think so, yes, since that seems to be a prolonged qpf event, meaning it is falling lightly I would guess. This run of the NAM is holding that first storm off the coast a looonnnng time, which I would guess will keep it from modeling anything decent with the second system. Which will make the SNE folks grumpy.

I would think so, yes, since that seems to be a prolonged qpf event, meaning it is falling lightly I would guess. This run of the NAM is holding that first storm off the coast a looonnnng time, which I would guess will keep it from modeling anything decent with the second system. Which will make the SNE folks grumpy.

radar sim looks ok se of dc but the storm is coming in at basically the worst time for boundary layer hopes

The latest discussion from LWX has an implied shoutout to Ian:

GIVEN TIME OF DAY AND TIME OF

THE YEAR AND THE HIGHER SUN ANGLE...EVEN THOSE AREAS WHERE IT

SNOWS MAY HAVE TROUBLE ACHIEVING ACCUMULATIONS WEDNESDAY AND IT

MAY PRIMARILY BE ON GRASSY SURFACES. GREATEST CONFIDENCE OF

REACHING ADVISORY LEVEL AMOUNTS ARE EXPECTED TO BE OVER THE

HIGHLANDS...AND SINCE THAT STARTS LATE TONIGHT WILL PUT OUT A

WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY THROUGH WEDNESDAY. CERTAINLY HAVE A

CONCERN FOR AREAS FURTHER EAST OF THIS ADVISORY AREA...BUT

CURRENTLY THE 12Z NAM IS CONSIDERED AN OUTLIER.

That this is an "April Fool's Day" potential should say everything you need to know!:lol: (I know, I know, we did get a couple tenths of an inch the first weekend of April in 2007 so anything is possible and all that!).

In keeping with April Fool's then...

<Ji>We got more snow after Feb. 10 this year compared to last, and this winter was the fourth worst ever for me...so that means last winter really sucked! Especially if it weren't for Dec. 18-19, Jan. 30, Feb. 5-6 and Feb. 9-10!</Ji>:arrowhead:

Archived