12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
MARCH

Mr Torchey

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Geez Mark. No it won't be all gone. You sound like Kevin. It will probably end up SN+ on Monday. Man, you think somebody is a friend and then they gaff you. Ib know how Kevin feels now.

LOL. I had to dump you dude...switched teams to the warminista drama queens...never want to see the word snow in a forecast again...melt it all tomorrow...you'll be lucky to have an inch left by Monday morning. I will allow you to bring your trucks on my lawn and remove all the snow.

(32 inches left btw, can you believe it? especially with this awful february we've been having)

I workship Forky now!

Just trying to get caught up with this whole Sunday/Monday deal. After some rain Sunday with the first wave, the key becomes how far SE does the first wave push the baroclinic zone. On one extreme of the spectrum, if the lead wave pushes the baroclinic zone far enough SE that low takes a track over Cape Cod, many areas of interior SNE get a blue snow bomb. However, if the first wave is weaker, the other extreme is that the low tracks over or west of SNE, favoring a rainier solution. A track just west of or over SNE would be the worst as it would lead to many areas warm sectoring with rapid snowmelt and heavy rain. As a worst case scenario, this could be a warm rainer with 50-55 degree temperatures and high dew points for Monday.

The 12Z GFS portrayal of major ZR for interior SNE is interesting. These types of events are harder to come by at this time of year during the daytime with the higher sun angles, but a low-level ageostrophic flow with cold bleeding in from the north with a heavy supply of tropical moisture riding along a stalled cold front is rather December 2008ish. If the low-levels are cold enough, it could overwhelm the solar influence. This solution also implies a blue snow bomb from the northern Berks into the Greens and Whites.

12Z Euro seems to be similar to GFS, but I don't have access to the pay-site maps. From what I can see, Euro seems a little warmer than GFS, but still implies snow for interior CNE and NNE, and perhaps the northern Berks.

This is a storm riding up along a cold front. Thermal profiles will likely be getting colder as the event progresses due to CAA in the lower troposphere. My gut is we see a rain to a blue snow bomb along and NW of a PSF, AFN, CON, LEW line with ZR possible from CEF, ORH, to MHT as the low passes near the Twin Forks of LI toward SE Mass. Where exactly the low tracks is critical...something we all know too well on here.

Ive been bored lately so Ive done some research on a severe ice storm in these parts from nov 26-29 1921. I saw this event mentioned somewhere when reading about ice storms and Ive surprised it hasnt really been brought up here

It appears this event may have been similiar to dec 08 in terms of max ice accretion + total precip, but over a larger area w/ a cooler overall synoptic appeal ..

http://docs.lib.noaa...49-11-0612a.pdf

at ORH ( clark university, so downtown - ~450ft ASL)

-75.5 hr duration

-4.05" total precip

-0.28" melted snow

-1.65" melted sleet

-2.15" freezing rain / run-off

http://www.wickedloc...1#axzz1Fet6xFRr

^^pic here is very impressive ..

SHREWSBURY — Our photograph looks like it was taken within the past month or so, with trees bent and broken from the weight of heavy ice. With this recent experience of power outages, impassable streets and ice damage, we can only imagine the effect a similar storm had when it hit what was then the mostly rural town of Shrewsbury in 1921, this particular view being taken on Grafton Street. A much smaller electric light company was far less capable of restoring power, the small number of households with telephones were mostly put out of commission too. The municipal light department worked diligently and within a week or so, all services were up and running, with the department getting high praise from the town officials. We might wonder however if the townspeople back then, who were probably more accustomed to heating with wood, driving on unpaved or poorly plowed roads, or even still used horse-driven transportation found it easier to cope than we are today, when even a short power outage can wreak havoc with our internet, television, and other modern gadgets!

Ive been bored lately so Ive done some research on a severe ice storm in these parts from nov 26-29 1921. I saw this event mentioned somewhere when reading about ice storms and Ive surprised it hasnt really been brought up here

It appears this event may have been similiar to dec 08 in terms of max ice accretion + total precip, but over a larger area w/ a cooler overall synoptic appeal ..

http://docs.lib.noaa...49-11-0612a.pdf

at ORH ( clark university, so downtown - ~450ft ASL)

-75.5 hr duration

-4.05" total precip

-0.28" melted snow

-1.65" melted sleet

-2.15" freezing rain / run-off

http://www.wickedloc...1#axzz1Fet6xFRr

^^pic here is very impressive ..

Cool stuff, impressive pic. I have to admit I wouldn't mind another ice storm as long as no trees fall on my house laugh.gif...it was a pretty cool sight last time.

35.5/17, off a high of 36. Second straight day below normal even after winter ended!

Just trying to get caught up with this whole Sunday/Monday deal. After some rain Sunday with the first wave, the key becomes how far SE does the first wave push the baroclinic zone. On one extreme of the spectrum, if the lead wave pushes the baroclinic zone far enough SE that low takes a track over Cape Cod, many areas of interior SNE get a blue snow bomb. However, if the first wave is weaker, the other extreme is that the low tracks over or west of SNE, favoring a rainier solution. A track just west of or over SNE would be the worst as it would lead to many areas warm sectoring with rapid snowmelt and heavy rain. As a worst case scenario, this could be a warm rainer with 50-55 degree temperatures and high dew points for Monday.

The 12Z GFS portrayal of major ZR for interior SNE is interesting. These types of events are harder to come by at this time of year during the daytime with the higher sun angles, but a low-level ageostrophic flow with cold bleeding in from the north with a heavy supply of tropical moisture riding along a stalled cold front is rather December 2008ish. If the low-levels are cold enough, it could overwhelm the solar influence. This solution also implies a blue snow bomb from the northern Berks into the Greens and Whites.

12Z Euro seems to be similar to GFS, but I don't have access to the pay-site maps. From what I can see, Euro seems a little warmer than GFS, but still implies snow for interior CNE and NNE, and perhaps the northern Berks.

This is a storm riding up along a cold front. Thermal profiles will likely be getting colder as the event progresses due to CAA in the lower troposphere. My gut is we see a rain to a blue snow bomb along and NW of a PSF, AFN, CON, LEW line with ZR possible from CEF, ORH, to MHT as the low passes near the Twin Forks of LI toward SE Mass. Where exactly the low tracks is critical...something we all know too well on here.

Thanks! Good read.

So far the "warm scenario" rain events have not played out in this part of the state and points N & W. The colder solutions have been verifying resulting in snow bomb to sleet to fzra. The evidence is certainly in the snow pack out here.

I love snow but really don't want another snow to mix to freeze event. Last weekend was fun to watch but brutal to deal with and there are still ice patches all over town.

Be fun to watch this unfold this weekend. I'll be in Boston sunday night driving back here monday morning. Be interesting to see what the contrast is on the drive back to Greenfield.

Mitch, thanks for a great synopsis. Counting on Big Blue.

OT but I was in DC yesterday.....early spring. Temps struggled but made it to near 50. During a lunch break I walked around near the WH and noted the crocuses and planted pansies. Buds are bigger and it sure looks and even feels like spring. Not a sign that it has ever snowed there and grass greening up nicely.

My 6:30pm flight back to BOS was delayed for over an hour which blew after a tough week of early flights and long days. I'm baked.

OT but I was in DC yesterday.....early spring. Temps struggled but made it to near 50. During a lunch break I walked around near the WH and noted the crocuses and planted pansies. Buds are bigger and it sure looks and even feels like spring. Not a sign that it has ever snowed there and grass greening up nicely.

My 6:30pm flight back to BOS was delayed for over an hour which blew after a tough week of early flights and long days. I'm baked.

DC or Plymouth, MA?

Bong or spliff?

Nice wintry feel to it today. Wind was pretty brutal during my lunchtime walk.

I have confidence that the snow will stand strong against the end of week rain. I return from IA on Friday afternoon. Don't expect it when I get to BDL, but I expect wall-to-wall coverage when I get home.

28.1/20

Snow coming to Iowa?

First night crawlers in the driveway this am pre cold air. Grass looks like it's about ready to come to life after a few warm days but will be put back into chill mode for a bit.

Amazing obliteration of snowpack from Friday to Sunday along 93. From Plymouth nh north not much of a but thru later Saturday. From there south it was astounding. Warm spring breezes up near mount Washington with bretton woods running in the mid 40s. It was colder with some snow on 93 near the notch.

Interesting that you saw the grass greening in DC as that might be a surprise to some. ;)

Warm and wet/cold and dry is the pattern for now and time is running out. Hoping nne can hold onto the colder solutions and maintain the slopes.

Parts of the yard visible for the first time since 12/20, with a few messenger daffodil stems coming up, even at work. Hopefully we can get one nice send off as we get more into a late Nina pattern. Signs of a weak -NAO trying to form, just in time for the weather to warm. Nothing says spring like low clouds and mud, so hopefully something pans out.

Parts of the yard visible for the first time since 12/20, with a few messenger daffodil stems coming up, even at work. Hopefully we can get one nice send off as we get more into a late Nina pattern. Signs of a weak -NAO trying to form, just in time for the weather to warm. Nothing says spring like low clouds and mud, so hopefully something pans out.

This threat busted aside of Cne and nne which was my great white hope. If it doesn't snow here I hope at least there's another big nne event around the 15th thru 22nd to guarantee a good April ski season.

No buds here yet.

Archived