Newest Member
    joxey
MARCH

Mr Torchey

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

???

Kinda cold, but coldest of winter? Really? (Not doubting you, but where is that from?)

BOX has me getting to 2F Weds night, 21F Thurs, 4F Thurs night

Departure from average cold he means.

Though I don't think we'll really challenge Jan 24th for that...that was a -22F or -23F departure day. We'd need something like 17/0 roughly to challenge it.

We should get a solid -16 to -18 departure though.

You know it Steve. False Spring,false prophets. We know who the seers are. CoT ftw. BTW Winter rocks!!! The skiing is great!!!

Yeah I went to Warren Gap in VT for hiking and sledding yesterday and it was amazing...sick vistas and frighteningly fast descents down the curvy pass. Perfect day with temperatures hovering around 30F and milky clouds capping the taller peaks. Rain was basically a non-issue today as Middlebury frequently mixed with snow/ice and then dryslotted, not a surprise with a 998mb low over GFL.

Departure from average cold he means.

Though I don't think we'll really challenge Jan 24th for that...that was a -22F or -23F departure day. We'd need something like 17/0 roughly to challenge it.

We should get a solid -16 to -18 departure though.

Thursday does look really cold, and the wave behind it may give NNE some snowfall. But the cold air looks pretty transient as another lakes cutter seems to be forming...that event will all come down to how much gets ejected as one piece instead of multiple systems. Could be a variety of solutions not yet on the models.

Anyone thinking Windexy with the Arctic front?

Barry Burbank was mentioning that on Friday... not sure much has been made of that since then...

FROPA FTW

He's all about the FROPA:

"Looking ahead, the next potent cold front and energized upper air trough will quickly approach on Wednesday. A brisk southwesterly wind will blow ahead of the front and clouds will race in to produce scattered snow showers and possible snow squalls over northern New England from late morning into the afternoon. A few of these could visit MA later in the afternoon just ahead of the frontal passage. "

From Feb 27 - 8PM ish

Anyone thinking Windexy with the Arctic front?

RH kind of looks like crap...but we'll see if it trends better. It looks better for NNE...better windex parameters up there, but we might be able to get in on the southern extent of it if lucky.

Will, what are you thoughts on the NAO going into March? I haven't seen any good signs of a return to blocking in the long range modeling as of yet. In order to get a nice March I think we need that.

NAO looks to be pretty stubborn in the longer range staying either positive or quite east based if it goes negative. The Euro weeklies did return to a weaker west-based blocking regime in the Atlantic by mid March, but I'm skeptical. The weeklies did great up until the NAO went positive in mid January and since then have had some false alarms on it coming back.

The lack of a -NAO may cost us in early March...but as we head later into the month the wave lengths rapidly shorten, and we'll rely less and less on it. But its really screwing the pooch for us in this weekend threat. That could have been a big one if the NAO was negative.

By Mar 15th and later, it almost doesn't matter anymore. Mar 31-Apr 1, 1997 had a huge vortex over Greenland and a big trough over the PAC NW. :lol:

But of course, your chances overall for snow begin decreasing rapidly too after Mar 15th, so its a catch 22 thinking like that I suppose.

NAO looks to be pretty stubborn in the longer range staying either positive or quite east based if it goes negative. The Euro weeklies did return to a weaker west-based blocking regime in the Atlantic by mid March, but I'm skeptical. The weeklies did great up until the NAO went positive in mid January and since then have had some false alarms on it coming back.

The lack of a -NAO may cost us in early March...but as we head later into the month the wave lengths rapidly shorten, and we'll rely less and less on it. But its really screwing the pooch for us in this weekend threat. That could have been a big one if the NAO was negative.

By Mar 15th and later, it almost doesn't matter anymore. Mar 31-Apr 1, 1997 had a huge vortex over Greenland and a big trough over the PAC NW. :lol:

But of course, your chances overall for snow begin decreasing rapidly too after Mar 15th, so its a catch 22 thinking like that I suppose.

Unbelievable that the ways in which we have been screwed in March have run from end to end of the spectrum, over the course of the past few years.

Its coming into that time of year where people in locales like myself have a little different take on winter than people like WIll or Ray or Kev or Pete, understanding climo is important so that threads dont turn into complete ****e shows.

I hope the hinterlands get buried.

Its coming into that time of year where people in locales like myself have a little different take on winter than people like WIll or Ray or Kev or Pete, understanding climo is important so that threads dont turn into complete ****e shows.

I hope the hinterlands get buried.

Decent ice here at .9k...bigger ice at 1.5k...still 2 feet otg...no spring here....big winter continues, big big winter.

Archived