• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
MARCH

Mr Torchey

okx going 30 for daytime high thur, will be one of the few times lately they bust high, looks bitter Jerry.

I"m heading to DC Thurs afternoon....returning Friday late day. MAV currently for DCA is 41, BOS 22. The further north you are, the more intense it will be...straight plunges like this tend to give us our coldest temps.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its coming into that time of year where people in locales like myself have a little different take on winter than people like WIll or Ray or Kev or Pete, understanding climo is important so that threads dont turn into complete ****e shows.

I hope the hinterlands get buried.

Buried we will be. I've been so amused by the constant proclamations that Winter is over since before it began. Now the calls that March won't deliver. Lol.

Nice Will. It's a rare night. I'm wasted and you're sounding like me.

It was pretty impressive on weenie ridge today.

But even in my own back yard...the 4th pic of the first set was taken just as I was leaving down the road and then most of the rest were on Rt 31 from Holden up to Princeton...all heading north from BY.

Very picture-esque afternoon

Buried we will be. I've been so amused by the constant proclamations that Winter is over since before it began. Now the calls that March won't deliver. Lol.

Let's agree to ignore the constant "Winter is over" posts that started in November. We can also agree that similar posts in December and January were without merit. February didn't offer a lot if snow in most of SNE, but winter held on. I'll also agree that winter in the higher elevations of western MA has a month to go, and could linger past April 1st by a little. For the I 95 corridor and much of SNE, winter is fading fast. I still see a 12" or so glacial snowpack IMBY, but I'd estimate it's just as likely, or maybe more likely, that it will be gone in a couple weeks vs seeing it sustained by cold temps or a decent snowfall.The snowpack in some parts of SNE is probably looking pretty sorry at this point.

It was pretty impressive on weenie ridge today.

But even in my own back yard...the 4th pic of the first set was taken just as I was leaving down the road and then most of the rest were on Rt 31 from Holden up to Princeton...all heading north from BY.

Very picture-esque afternoon

I saw your pics, they were great. Heavy Winter from my place all the way up here. I'm partying with some ski freak friends and they all follpw the weagher intently. We are all in agreement, big Winter to continue through March, big April finale. Snowbank it.

Let's agree to ignore the constant "Winter is over" posts that started in November. We can also agree that similar posts in December and January were without merit. February didn't offer a lot if snow in most of SNE, but winter held on. I'll also agree that winter in the higher elevations of western MA has a month to go, and could linger past April 1st by a little. For the I 95 corridor and much of SNE, winter is fading fast. I still see a 12" or so glacial snowpack IMBY, but I'd estimate it's just as likely, or maybe more likely, that it will be gone in a couple weeks vs seeing it sustained by cold temps or a decent snowfall.The snowpack in some parts of SNE is probably looking pretty sorry at this point.

Yeah its starting to fade in lower elevations S of the pike...but I could see your area getting one more pretty good storm in NE CT. Even at elevations around 400-500 feet. Perhaps an early April encore after the first late Mar warmup (if it happens) when everyone pronounces snow gone.

A lot the truly great ones give a parting gift.

That's sad. You people should m.ove.

Eventually spiked up to 36\36, tonight and we lost another 1.5" off of Sunday's fluff.

Stake down from 23.5" on Sunday to 20", currently.

Lost 3.5" of the 6" of fluff that fell on Sunday.....not bad at all.

Came out of all of this with a 2.5" net gain of a refreshing fluff.

Everything is crusting over, now.....33.2\32 and steadily falling.

Pete piss drunk....Ray saying that winter at .1k is still strong...we got a twilight zone.

I'm not complaining about a thing.....the lowest measurement that I have come up with ANYWHERE in my yard over the course of the past 1.5+ months is 15"; I'll take that everyday and twice on the rev's 40th bday.

Eventually spiked up to 36\36, tonight and we lost another 1.5" off of Sunday's fluff.

Stake down from 23.5" on Sunday to 20", currently.

Lost 3.5" of the 6" of fluff that fell on Sunday.....not bad at all.

Came out of all of this with a 2.5" net gain of a refreshing fluff.

Everything is crusting over, now.....33.2\32 and steadily falling.

Stake at winter hill was at 24.7" when I cheked at 3pm..probably lost about .5" or we'll call it all .7" to get to 24" by now. But pretty good. It was at 20.6" after the Feb 18 torch. So net gain since then...same with your area has been a net gain since then.

Hopefully we can get this next event to go colder and bring our March bomb on board after that.

Stake at winter hill was at 24.7" when I cheked at 3pm..probably lost about .5" or we'll call it all .7" to get to 24" by now. But pretty good. It was at 20.6" after the Feb 18 torch. So net gain since then...same with your area has been a net gain since then.

Hopefully we can get this next event to go colder and bring our March bomb on board after that.

If I lost 1.5" since 3pm, I'm not sure why you wouldn't have.....winter hill spiked just as high as I did, at least.

If I lost 1.5" since 3pm, I'm not sure why you wouldn't have.....winter hill spiked just as high as I did, at least.

I got way more ice than you did...it takes work to melt that. There was more crust here to work off. Also while you were slowly melting at 32.5, it was actually still icing here at 30F. So while we spiked at similar temps, that doesn't mean similar melt to the pack.

Ah, ok.....my bad.

It takes about the same heat energy to melt about a quarter inch of ice as to melt an inch of snow.I actually think its a bit more energy, but it all depends on the temperature of the ice and the composition of the snow.

It takes about the same heat energy to melt about a quarter inch of ice as to melt an inch of snow.I actually think its a bit more energy, but it all depends on the temperature of the ice and the composition of the snow.

So I lost about an inch more than you.....I got about 2" more than you Sunday to off set it, at least. :lol:

In the end elevation usually will win.

I've noticed Kevin has gotten a bit more defensive and hostile ever since you have basically matched his snow pack now and are starting to threaten his seasonal total.

He definitely has a "Ray" fetish for beating you on snow. He loves to pronounce you torching at 37F while he is at 30F on west wind CAA but he didn't take it so well when you were 25F with still light snow and he was torching to 37F in the late Feb sun during the "NNE cold tuck" back door front.

So I lost about an inch more than you.....I got about 2" more than you Saturday to off set it, at least. :lol:

In the end elevation usually will win.

You still could beat me...plausible. But I'm still a bit ahead, and unlikely you have a bigger March. But I'm more intrigued by you and Kevin's race because your covariance is less than me and yours.

I've noticed Kevin has gotten a bit more defensive and hostile ever since you have basically matched his snow pack now and are starting to threaten his seasonal total.

He definitely has a "Ray" fetish for beating you on snow. He loves to pronounce you torching at 37F while he is at 30F on west wind CAA but he didn't take it so well when you were 25F with still light snow and he was torching to 37F in the late Feb sun during the "NNE cold tuck" back door front.

I know...I called him on that! :lol:

You still could beat me...plausible. But I'm still a bit ahead, and unlikely you have a bigger March. But I'm more intrigued by you and Kevin's race because your covariance is less than me and yours.

Right....it's like we have discussed; the latitudinal advantage that I hold over you is trivial and not enough to negate your elevation and distance from the ocean, but it's a different story regarding Kev and I....that diff. in latitude is significant and this is incidentally just the pattern to accentuate that point.

Right....it's like we have discussed; the latitudinal advantage that I hold over you is trivial and not enough to negate your elevation and distance from the ocean, but it's a different story regarding Kev and I....that diff. in latitude is significant and this is incidentally just the pattern to accentuate that point.

Yeah you might get him on a 4" slop event where he gets very little...but im likely to get 5" in that same event. There's a small chance you migth get me on one of those, but far less likely than you getting Kevin.

Awful..lol. It's still possibly it could end wintry even on the ensembles, but I just don't have that great feeling about March. I haven't had it for a long time. Hopefully we can get a surprise somewhere.

We'll still have chances I think in the 11-15 day as the pattern is not hostile, so hope is not all lost, especially if you live inland or higher up. I'm just not big on it right now, but tis the time of year when things sneak up on you.

Archived