Newest Member
    12bet1 net
MARCH

Mr Torchey

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is very wrong.

Date Time Station Number Station Name Total Precip .in New Snow .in Total Snow .in5 State County View

3/1/2011   7:00 AM   RI-PR-14   Woonsocket 1.3 ESE  0.40 0.0 11.0 RI Providence  

3/1/2011   7:00 AM   RI-PR-15   Manville 0.2 NE  0.42 0.0 10.0 RI Providence  

3/1/2011   8:00 AM   RI-KN-1   Coventry Center  0.56 NA 4.0 RI Kent  

3/1/2011   5:15 AM   RI-WS-9   Charlestown 3.9 NNW  0.89 0.0 2.0 RI Washington  

3/1/2011   6:00 AM   RI-KN-2   East Greenwich 2.3 ESE  0.67 NA 2.0 RI Kent  

Totally incorrect. Most of Northern RI is snowcovered. have you looked at a snowdepth map?

They won't soon -

March sun, moderating temperature, one cold day on Thursday, than a subtropical firehose -

10 days from now winter is a fleeting memory...unless something decides to suddenly change. Eh, you gotta figure the month of March is the big differential month for a reason. The difference between M 1 and M 31 any given years is HUGE.

They won't soon -

March sun, moderating temperature, one cold day on Thursday, than a subtropical firehose -

10 days from now winter is a fleeting memory...unless something decides to suddenly change. Eh, you gotta figure the month of March is the big differential month for a reason. The difference between M 1 and M 31 any given years is HUGE.

Maybe you haven't seeen Euro/GFS ens..everything trending colder for early next week storm.

You won't be seeing grass, riding naked mountain bike trips around the neighborhood or tiptoeing thru any tulips until early April.

I wouldn't say by a thread. I was just in Newton/Milton/Belmont and still pretty good snow. Maybe not 20-30", but at least a foot in spots. We are getting into the time of year where the sun torched areas get cooked, so it becomes difficult to judge. For instance, the guy across the street has bare ground, but I have over a foot behind my condo.

I was going to take that part out, in some spots there is still a hell of a lot of snow, like you said. On average not very exciting, you would admit.

Belmont/Newton keep snow nicely, esp away from the Camb and Watertown torch side....Belmont out towards Pine St ( I lived there) and also Mclean Hospital when you climb the woodsy hill towards Lexington/Arlington is pretty safe from the city torch. :)

For those of you making dumb comments about winter ending....this pic is not TOO far from Scotts 'hood (Govt ctr/Beacon Hill). Just awful and quite representative of the area.

ANd yes, in the BOS snowcover thread, I did go with last week of February when BOS breaks 100% snowcover. :thumbsup:

downsized0301011126.jpg

Been only about 30-50% cover in the city since mid feb. your call busted horribly.

I wouldn't say by a thread. I was just in Newton/Milton/Belmont and still pretty good snow. Maybe not 20-30", but at least a foot in spots. We are getting into the time of year where the sun torched areas get cooked, so it becomes difficult to judge. For instance, the guy across the street has bare ground, but I have over a foot behind my condo.

Yeah but c'mon...there's still snow here in the shade that at points is a few inches deep but I'm not suggesting I still have 3" of snowcover. I just drove from Cape Cod to Franklin and down into RI yesterday and there's a ton of open grass.

Totally incorrect. Most of Northern RI is snowcovered. have you looked at a snowdepth map?

I was just west of Woonsocket yesterday...lots of bare spots.

The RI webcams show this pretty clearly...even wooded areas in North Smitfield are mostly bare.

http://www.tmc.dot.ri.gov/camcenter/camcenterMapView.aspx#

42d4d0af-35f3-6afa.jpg

Map isn't right. Northern RI is not solid snowcover at this point in a lot of the purple/blue zone. I was just there yesterday.

Maybe you haven't seeen Euro/GFS ens..everything trending colder for early next week storm.

You won't be seeing grass, riding naked mountain bike trips around the neighborhood or tiptoeing thru any tulips until early April.

I haven't seen any version that suggests colder solutions, no - haha.

yea, who knows. March is about the most fickle month out of the 12, with wild swings and big events some years, while other years are entirely salubrious... It's interesting really, to juxtapose the annals of 1888 with years like last year. When you are in a year like last, it is tough to see outside the box and ever imagine there could be a 1888, or April 1 1997, or the like.

For you though, you could literally be standing outside the box, in the real air, and still think you are somehow inside :arrowhead: I don't know how you can not see the loss of repeating snow threats and a very clear seasonally directed recession of snow pack underway, as being anything other than the dying flame of winter (nice oxymoron there hehe). Sure an ember remains, perhaps reminds, as does every year. But holding on and not embrassing the seasonal change causing you to see things in the models that aren't really there is a little odd to me.

Seriously though, I didn't realize there were all these threads already covering next week when I started that one yesterday. Having said that, I suppose I can't say it is impossible that the front gets through quciker and a GFS like wave comes up the coast for a snow thump thereafter. Might be entertaining after a pretty fantastically balmy day on Saturday ... about that... Umm, no - actually, that "looks" really warm, but a high retreating like that is actually a pretty stiff E or ESE wind into the region from off the coldest SST of the annual cycle. What might look like a 55F day is probably 43 at PVD with 20kt puffers from the E, for example. Then on sunday, there is dirty warm sector with QPF spritzers, and that isn't sex in the bushes either.

Anyway, I think that last system the GFS schooled the Euro when at D4 it still insisted on a Detroit low and warm sector for the region. How did that work out? I tell you what, the primary reason for the Euro's bias - imho - is because it normally lubes any excuse to dig heights west of ridges like a special type of boner, and the persistent -PNA may be tapping into that bias. The pattern is just perfect for gleaning out ECWWF f ups. It may not be that awful though, as even the GFS has a front side warm wash for a while.

Map isn't right. Northern RI is not solid snowcover at this point in a lot of the purple/blue zone. I was just there yesterday.

I was on 146 a few days ago in NW RI and it was solid snow cover. Maybe near PVD it isn't but almost all of NW RI is covered.

Yeah but c'mon...there's still snow here in the shade that at points is a few inches deep but I'm not suggesting I still have 3" of snowcover. I just drove from Cape Cod to Franklin and down into RI yesterday and there's a ton of open grass.

I was just west of Woonsocket yesterday...lots of bare spots.

The RI webcams show this pretty clearly...even wooded areas in North Smitfield are mostly bare.

http://www.tmc.dot.r...terMapView.aspx#

My sister's house in Burrilville has 15" of snow otg as of yesterday

lol this thread :arrowhead:

March sun FTL today...only 36F here but weve probably lost 3-4". This might be the end of my 12+" snowpack streak..which lasted 48 days.

Ive had 1+" IMBY for 65 days now and that should hold on for much longer. (of course thats average, there are a few bare spots and some spots with >12", but theres 80-90% cover here)

Depth varies alot but in general most places here on the Medford /Somerville line are covered by 5-8". Grass didn't show up at all here until just over a week ago.

Once you get that first break in the snow cover this time of year you're toast just based on the radiation considerations. The sun is as strong now as it is in early October.

March started off with a nice sunny day after 2-3" of snow and sleet in the past 24 hours. No freezing rain or anything liquid came out of that last storm.

Here's NECN's Tim Kelley enjoying the powder with me today:

Tomorrow looks like snow showers and maybe a squall (Tim mentioned WINDEX)... 12z NAM showed 2-4" of fluffy snowfall here, local BTV WRF model is a little less on the QPF, but shows Mansfield/Stowe picking up over .1" tomorrow, so hopefully we can add a few fluffy inches to our totals.

Orographics from Mansfield FTW

March started off with a nice sunny day after 2-3" of snow and sleet in the past 24 hours. No freezing rain or anything liquid came out of that last storm.

Here's NECN's Tim Kelley enjoying the powder with me today:

Tomorrow looks like snow showers and maybe a squall (Tim mentioned WINDEX)... 12z NAM showed 2-4" of fluffy snowfall here, local BTV WRF model is a little less on the QPF, but shows Mansfield/Stowe picking up over .1" tomorrow, so hopefully we can add a few fluffy inches to our totals.

Orographics from Mansfield FTW

No zr on those trees?:devilsmiley:

That was pre 50 degrees and rain I presume. I was near there yesterday around 2pm and there were quite a few bare spots.

I'm sure there's BIrving bare spots on the south side face of steep slopes along busy roadways, but that is irrepresentative of the snow pack from a hydro stand point and just about where everyone lives in residential areas. Even Woonsocket RI coop had a 11" snow depth...so call it what you want and make it sound like the snow is barely hanging on, but in truth there is still quite a deep snow pack over NW RI. The NOHRSC map is actually fairly accurate there.

I'm sure there's BIrving bare spots on the south side face of steep slopes along busy roadways, but that is irrepresentative of the snow pack from a hydro stand point and just about where everyone lives in residential areas. Even Woonsocket RI coop had a 11" snow depth...so call it what you want and make it sound like the snow is barely hanging on, but in truth there is still quite a deep snow pack over NW RI. The NOHRSC map is actually fairly accurate there.

Boston Today

downsized0301011126.jpg

Yes there is snow in some places, but it's torched after this past storm. Literally nothing left in many areas, not even piles. Disaster.

Archived