• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
MARCH

Mr Torchey

All 3 winter months at BDL Dec- Feb averaged -2.0 or below for temps.. Snowfall is what now top 2nd or 3rd snowiest of all time? An epic winter.

Not debating that... it was certainly an epic winter here in CT because of what really was a wild end of Dec and entire month of Jan.

This certainly is #3 of my life behind 95-96 and 93-94

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
yup-especially in this corner of the state...had a cold dry Dec with 2 rainstorms mixed in, then 30 days of epic snows and cold and then flip to warm and wet with only a 3 inch snow on 2/21...3 pieces to this winter... won't complain about 60 inches of snow at BDR though!

I thouight the first half of Feb was pretty cold and below normal, although not much snow. It looked like mid winter up til the two day torch cut into the snowpack.

Right now BDL snowfall this season is 5Th all time. (84.1") But that is 9.0" below 2nd all time (93.1"-1977)

All 3 winter months at BDL Dec- Feb averaged -2.0 or below for temps.. Snowfall is what now top 2nd or 3rd snowiest of all time? An epic winter.

Winter still in full stride here, but that's certainly to be expected. Latitude, elevation and climo, baby.

I will say though, that we're at the begining of the transition--days are longer, sun is higher and real spring, when all of the snow is gone below 1500-2000', will be here in five weeks or so.

You're probably cooked. Thankfully in other less snow challenged regions legit snow chances persist for some time to come.

The high ratio low impact events of the last 3 weeks are a far shadow of what we had here early. The glaringly positive NAO around 3/10 will carry most of SNE aside of the high mountain regions and those leaving their fridge doors open into mid March. After that good luck pulling together a big event aside of where six people live out by you.

Tie up that ponytail, flood waters will be rising.

P.S. don't let it bother you I was 100% right on my Feb 10th-early Mar call.

It's been epic since 2/10.

Those of us who are close to 100 inches sure do.

Does it really mean that much to you? Serious question....I could care less how much snow falls/fell. Doesn't effect me in any substantial way beyond sledding. Thinking about it though it would bug me if it didn't snow up where the ski resorts are but that's because I enjoy the time with family and friends. Snow IMBY...does it really matter that much to a lot of you that you beat records or totals?

meh...

00zecmwfensnao.gif

00zecmwfnao.gif

nao.sprd2.gif

Those scream a mega return to winter.

I feel like most of us will think winter ended on February 2

Certainly true along the coast, though our winters aren't that bad to begin with on average (2-3 ft normal snow and two real months that you could call cold). If we are done, then winter was essentially six weeks long for us, though I understand I have a unique position being the southernmost point in SNE.

nam continues to suggest some oes possible for parts of the cape thursday. inversion height is pretty darn low but favorable SGZ is also very low and partially coincides with a oe induced saturated layer. it's all located in the lowest 4K feet or so but could be some NNW/SSE oriented snows during the morning?

also...maybe some -sn/zr on friday over E MA? persistent onshore flow on the nam and a pretty saturated ll environment. there is some weak lift modeled but no precip verbatim.

nam continues to suggest some oes possible for parts of the cape thursday. inversion height is pretty darn low but favorable SGZ is also very low and partially coincides with a oe induced saturated layer. it's all located in the lowest 4K feet or so but could be some NNW/SSE oriented snows during the morning?

also...maybe some -sn/zr on friday over E MA? persistent onshore flow on the nam and a pretty saturated ll environment. there is some weak lift modeled but no precip verbatim.

How late into the year can you guys get OES? I would imagine after March 15 or so it gets difficult to get that

I excel in that... :lol:

Well, I would think winter was pretty much over for S CT, most of RI, SE Mass in early Feb (Groundhog storm), but I don't think that is most of the people on here... 51%+?

North of the Pike still has a good chunk of the population

Have not realy tallied.

lol...eh...I just never claim anything is over or whatnot. That's all I was saying. I don't jump on those bandwagons.

For those of you making dumb comments about winter ending....this pic is not TOO far from Scotts 'hood (Govt ctr/Beacon Hill). Just awful and quite representative of the area.

ANd yes, in the BOS snowcover thread, I did go with last week of February when BOS breaks 100% snowcover. :thumbsup:

downsized0301011126.jpg

For those of you making dumb comments about winter ending....this pic is not TOO far from Scotts 'hood (Govt ctr/Beacon Hill). Just awful and quite representative of the area.

ANd yes, in the BOS snowcover thread, I did go with last week of February when BOS breaks 100% snowcover. :thumbsup:

downsized0301011126.jpg

Yeah it's bad in the sun torched urban areas, but I have about 50-60% snowcover locally. However, just outside in suburban areas, it's still covered.

lol...eh...I just never claim anything is over or whatnot. That's all I was saying. I don't jump on those bandwagons.

Well, since Feb 2 or so, it has been pretty un-wintery (whatever that means) in sig. snowfall south of the pike or so. Have temps been near climo?

Never said you were banging that drum... just where you live only has so much winter (relative to inland/upland)... Of course you/SE Mass/RI could get a March Condo Crusher in 2 weeks or whatever while I melt away. It's all good.

Yeah it's bad in the sun torched urban areas, but I have about 50-60% snowcover locally. However, just outside in suburban areas, it's still covered.

Suburbia is hanging in there by a thread. NO argument. City areas are cooked, though. Drove all around BOS and didn't see really any signs of major snows, even the snowbanks are pretty dwindled.

Well, since Feb 2 or so, it has been pretty un-wintery (whatever that means) in sig. snowfall south of the pike or so. Have temps been near climo?

Never said you were banging that drum... just where you live only has so much winter (relative to inland/upland)... Of course you/SE Mass/RI could get a March Condo Crusher in 2 weeks or whatever while I melt away. It's all good.

Yeah there's only been in a few minor events in the last few weeks. Near ave temps.

I just thought you were lumping me into that group

Suburbia is hanging in there by a thread. NO argument. City areas are cooked, though. Drove all around BOS and didn't see really any signs of major snows, even the snowbanks are pretty dwindled.

I wouldn't say by a thread. I was just in Newton/Milton/Belmont and still pretty good snow. Maybe not 20-30", but at least a foot in spots. We are getting into the time of year where the sun torched areas get cooked, so it becomes difficult to judge. For instance, the guy across the street has bare ground, but I have over a foot behind my condo.

Archived