e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Next storm on the list, March 6-7

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3/31/97 to 3/31/98 may be one of the most extreme 1yr weather differences in New England history.

My birthday tends to be that way. In '02 (?) it was flurrying. Then of course the Blizzard in '97. My parents talk about a birthday in the late '90s that it was 80F. I can remember many in the early 2000s that were above 70F. More recently they've been average- more 40s and 50s.

Thanks man!! Snowman.gifthumbsupsmileyanim.gif

They used to be on eastern until D-Bag Marcus commandeered the database.

Don S asked to see my pics. Here are a few. On the second pic notice the depth on the walkway that I shoveled. Also, on the last pic...that's not a yard stick..that's a piece of strapping...lol. That sh*t was past my quads, and I wasn't a small guy.

http://wintercenter.homestead.com/photo1997.html

The west has been horrible, you can probably use that as the excuse. I don't necessarily blame the NAO being positive, but view this as a contributor to the storm track.

This is more for your area, as the area north of PVD-PYM has had a decent February. The pattern has been more hostile during the last 2-3 weeks of the month, but we still managed to squeak by with climo or just a hair under.

I actually didn't have a bad February since I scored 8" with the 2/21 overrunning event; there was a nice plume of moisture from PA that moved into Westchester, and the ratios were insane even with surface temperatures hanging in the upper 20s...upper levels were cold and lift was excellent. I also had 2" of snow and then .5" ice in the 2/2 Chicago Blizzard, so the month wasn't a complete loss in Westchester. It was definitely a strong contrast with the extreme sustained cold that we enjoyed in December and January, however....this month wasn't great for snowpack as temperatures rose to 68F here in the mid-month torch. Much more variable pattern with one great cold front and snowstorm, but also lots of milder days and some rain, which had been a non-factor since the 12/13 cutter. Much more typical of La Niña to have these wild swings from near-record temperatures one day to a powder snowstorm the next with limited blocking but cold air in Canada. February was certainly disappointing in some regards though, as I had 55" at the beginning of the month and looked set to approach the town's record snowfall of 90" given there were multiple threats on the models in early February. It's just hard to think about what could have been...we definitely had a shot to get to the 90" record set in 60-61 or the 82" in 95-96, but the town will fall short now.

-PNA is killing us more right now...its so negative. We can get away with a +NAO if the PNA isn't ridiculous with the SW troughing. NAO being negative would definitely help and try to push the storm track south, but the magnitude of the PNA has been so extreme so a near neutral or even +NAO can't do anything to stop it. But essentially both oceans are against us right now.

The West looks really bad, and I don't think there's much improvement coming based on the ensembles. Here's the 18z GFS ENS at Day 8, big trough over the Pacific Northwest with above normal heights in the East:

NAO also looks disappointing:

I actually didn't have a bad February since I scored 8" with the 2/21 overrunning event; there was a nice plume of moisture from PA that moved into Westchester, and the ratios were insane even with surface temperatures hanging in the upper 20s...upper levels were cold and lift was excellent. I also had 2" of snow and then .5" ice in the 2/2 Chicago Blizzard, so the month wasn't a complete loss in Westchester. It was definitely a strong contrast with the extreme sustained cold that we enjoyed in December and January, however....this month wasn't great for snowpack as temperatures rose to 68F here in the mid-month torch. Much more variable pattern with one great cold front and snowstorm, but also lots of milder days and some rain, which had been a non-factor since the 12/13 cutter. Much more typical of La Niña to have these wild swings from near-record temperatures one day to a powder snowstorm the next with limited blocking but cold air in Canada. February was certainly disappointing in some regards though, as I had 55" at the beginning of the month and looked set to approach the town's record snowfall of 90" given there were multiple threats on the models in early February. It's just hard to think about what could have been...we definitely had a shot to get to the 90" record set in 60-61 or the 82" in 95-96, but the town will fall short now.

The West looks really bad, and I don't think there's much improvement coming based on the ensembles. Here's the 18z GFS ENS at Day 8, big trough over the Pacific Northwest with above normal heights in the East:

NAO also looks disappointing:

Oh yeah, I forgot about that sneaky storm, but that was locally for your area.

The flu wiped me out yesterday ..Went to the dr. and now have bronchitis.. What a disaster.

Looks like it snowed or sleeted overnight.

Everyone get pics of their snowpack..By Monday morning or sooner...we all get to look at 100% grass.

How are those mountains lining your driveway doing? Serious question, not trolling.

The flu wiped me out yesterday ..Went to the dr. and now have bronchitis.. What a disaster.

Everyone get pics of their snowpack..By Monday morning or sooner...we all get to look at 100% grass.

Feel better Kev.

They're about 1/4 of the way smaller than they were at their max. Sadly I think even most of them will be gone by Monday morning

Like the Great Roman Empire, The Renaissance, and Your Hairline, these too were once great and have receeded into history.

Hope you get better so you can operate your basement pumps

LOL, you're gonna have plenty still Monday morning.

Archived