Next storm on the list, March 6-7

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happier feelings

Life of the storm

Formation

The storm started as a surface low pressure system over the Ohio River Valley that was generated by an area of strong jet stream energy carving out an active upper air low pressure trough on Sunday March 30. The low pressure system brought rain to much of the Ohio Valley.[5]

When the storm arrived in eastern New York and western New England the areas received light rain. The storm moved off the coast of New Jersey on March 31 and began rapidly strengthening and intensified air began rising vertically around the storm at a very rapid rate which cooled in the atmosphere and as a result the rain changed into heavy snow. The low moved very slowly along the coast gaining strength throughout the day with continuous supply of moisture supporting allowing an extended period of heavy snow.[5]

New England

Prior to the storm, Boston had received just 26.5 inches (670 mm) inches of snow for the season.[4] On March 30, Boston was sunny with a high temperature of 63°F and a cold front passed the next day dropping the temperature into the 40s.[2] Just prior to dawn on Monday March 31, precipitation began to fall in the form of light rain.[2] In Boston the rain began to mix with wet snow mid-morning and eventually turned to wet snow and became heavier just after 7 p.m. From 7 p.m. to 11 p.m. the snow fell at a rate of at least 1 inch (25 mm) per hour.[2]

During the peak of the storm from about 11 p.m. March 31 to 3 a.m. April 1, snow fell in Boston at an almost unheard-of rate of 3 inches (76 mm) per hour, some of the heaviest Boston had ever seen. Numerous lightning strikes and thunderclaps accompanied the extremely heavy snow, which accumulated one foot (12 inches (300 mm)) in just that four hour period. Moderate to heavy snow continued through midmorning before tapering off.[2]

Impact

New England

Precipitation received

The 25.4 inches (650 mm) that fell at Boston's Logan International Airport was the third-biggest snowstorm in Boston history (biggest in the month of April) behind the North American blizzard of 2003 (27.5 inches (700 mm)) and the Northeastern United States blizzard of 1978 27.1 inches (690 mm) and made April 1997 the Boston's snowiest April on record (the previous record being a mere 13.3 inches (340 mm)).[2][3][5] It also set a record for Boston's greatest April 24-hour snowfall.[2][3] Parts of New England received 50 to 70 mph wind gusts at the height of the storm.[5] Providence recorded 18 inches (460 mm) inches of snow which was the fourth greatest on record at the time.[3] Other parts of New England reported more than 30 inches (760 mm) inches[6] and up to three feet[7] with Worcester receiving 33 inches (840 mm), the city's largest snowfall in history.[8]

Damage and travel disruptions

A state of emergency was declared by Massachusetts Gov. William F. Weld.[4] The snow came down too fast for road crews to keep up with and roads became impassable and thousands of cars were stranded.[2][9] Commuter trolleys in Boston were closed for the first time in nearly twenty years,[4] public transportation was crippled, about 1,000 motorists spent the night stranded in their cars and 4,000 stayed in shelters.[4] Some of the narrow side streets of Boston were completely buried[2] and portions of Interstate 95 and Route 128 were shut down because of the snow.[10] The main roads and highways were cleared within a couple of days but the secondary roads remained a mess making travel difficult.[8] Two days after the storm, subways and commuter rails were still sluggish because of fallen trees and signal problems.[8]

The wet and heavy snow caused tree limbs and even whole trees to fall.[2] Some fell on power lines, and many people were left without power.[2] Electricity was knocked out for nearly 700,000 people.[9] Nearly 13% of New England lost power, mainly due to trees falling on power lines and utility poles.[4] Power crews from as far away as Canada came to help clean up the area.[10]

Logan Airport was also shut down from 2 p.m. March 31 to 10 p.m. April 1.[4] On April 3, despite a clear blue sky and temperatures in the 50s, travelers were still stranded at Logan Airport.[7]

Mid-Atlantic

Today is the last day of 20" depth I think. We should fall below that tomorrow.

The storm after Monday is starting to look a bit colder on guidance, so that could become a trackable event. Still a ways out though and plenty can go to crap.

I'm sort of intrigued about the pattern after next week, but it still isn't looking all that hot. My hunch is that next week is something for north country again.

Thanks for being objective Scott, as much as it sucks...

As Kevin would say..I've been cautious for a month..lol. The arctic highs coming from Canada are at least some positive signs. What I'm not a fan of, is the troughing out west. If we can get the flow a little more zonal, we could have some overrunning type events..which is what the 12z GFS ensembles had. The euro ensembles were pretty mild.

Sometimes, late season events don't appear until 5-7 days out. If anything, the eventual shortening of wavelengths as the jet begins to migrate north, may work in our favor. We'll see.

As Kevin would say..I've been cautious for a month..lol. The arctic highs coming from Canada are at least some positive signs. What I'm not a fan of, is the troughing out west. If we can get the flow a little more zonal, we could have some overrunning type events..which is what the 12z GFS ensembles had. The euro ensembles were pretty mild.

Sometimes, late season events don't appear until 5-7 days out. If anything, the eventual shortening of wavelengths as the jet begins to migrate north, may work in our favor. We'll see.

Like I said a few weeks ago, all cold in Canada guarantees you is that they dry interludes between rainers will be cold.

1980's.

You really have no snowpack left....anywhere??

Nothing but a couple shovel piles. Only houses that get zero sun have any snow to speak of and even they have only like an inch or two. Few and far between they are though.

I am ready for spring at this point. Ill take a snow bomb or 2 but the nuisance **** is just that. The othe thing that's been a kiiller this season has been the persistent cold and oil bills. Just killing me this year to the tune of around $1200 since dec. Uggghhh.

Like I said a few weeks ago, all cold in Canada guarantees you is that they dry interludes between rainers will be cold.

1980's.

Well if you want late season events, you need that. We are getting to the point where we need to start looking at the 950-850mb layer. If that layer is cold..even if the same airmass gave us 45F in full sun...it's usually cold enough, given precipitation and lift.

where's cweat? 65kt winds at H95.

Date: 54 hour Eta valid 6Z MON  7 MAR 11
Station: KFMH
Latitude:   41.65
Longitude: -70.52
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LEV PRES  HGHT  TEMP  DEWP  RH  DD   WETB DIR SPD THETA THE-V THE-W THE-E   W
    mb     m     C     C    %   C     C  deg knt   K     K     K     K    g/kg
SFC 1010     4   7.6   6.8  94  0.8   7.2 161  25 280.0 281.0 279.9 296.7  6.14
 1 1000    90   9.6   8.3  92  1.3   8.9 163  35 282.7 283.9 282.1 301.8  6.90
 2  950   519  11.5   8.2  80  3.3   9.6 177  65 288.9 290.1 285.0 309.2  7.18
 3  900   970  10.1   4.6  69  5.5   7.2 189  66 291.9 292.9 284.9 308.9  5.91

Nothing but a couple shovel piles. Only houses that get zero sun have any snow to speak of and even they have only like an inch or two. Few and far between they are though.

I am ready for spring at this point. Ill take a snow bomb or 2 but the nuisance **** is just that. The othe thing that's been a kiiller this season has been the persistent cold and oil bills. Just killing me this year to the tune of around $1200 since dec. Uggghhh.

You must be right on the line. I don't know if you saw my pics from my parents area, but there is still a decent pack away from full blown sun areas. The woods around me also have snow, but that will probably go by Monday.

where's cweat? 65kt winds at H95.

Date: 54 hour Eta valid 6Z MON  7 MAR 11
Station: KFMH
Latitude:   41.65
Longitude: -70.52
LEV PRES  HGHT  TEMP  DEWP  RH  DD   WETB DIR SPD THETA THE-V THE-W THE-E   W
	mb 	m 	C 	C    %   C 	C  deg knt   K 	K 	K 	K    g/kg
SFC 1010 	4   7.6   6.8  94  0.8   7.2 161  25 280.0 281.0 279.9 296.7  6.14
 1 1000    90   9.6   8.3  92  1.3   8.9 163  35 282.7 283.9 282.1 301.8  6.90
 2  950   519  11.5   8.2  80  3.3   9.6 177  65 288.9 290.1 285.0 309.2  7.18
 3  900   970  10.1   4.6  69  5.5   7.2 189  66 291.9 292.9 284.9 308.9  5.91

He's in Truro, still mowing the eastbound side of Rt 6.

Well if you want late season events, you need that. We are getting to the point where we need to start looking at the 950-850mb layer. If that layer is cold..even if the same airmass gave us 45F in full sun...it's usually cold enough, given precipitation and lift.

I understand that it gives you a chance, but if it doesn't work out, this is the hell that you live.

I understand that it gives you a chance, but if it doesn't work out, this is the hell that you live.

Well cold in Canada doesn't have to mean 1980s. When I say cold, I don't just mean western and central Canada. Eastern Canada and even the northern tier of the US should be cold.

I think most of us are getting killed by everything from utilities to taxes, sucks.

I understand that, but this time it has.

This pattern has looked sort of lousy for a while. We were all dropping warning signs of a sh*tty period possible for us since 2/2. Luckily it hasn't been all too bad for many of us away from the south coast, but I remember telling Brian that he'll probably be fully nude for the next month. It's been classic Nina since the -NAO faded. Look for more Midwest blizzards to make the news.

Only day I ever played hooky from work. Drove to Killington and enjoyed 3 feet of spring cement. The "double diamonds" (ha) were the only option since you needed a lot of steep to get any speed. Fun!

Only 3?! wow. Good work this winter on posting all the data from Shrewsbury. I moved from there 7 months ago and realized just how BORING the weather is in Denver! Let me know if you want snow data from 2002-2010, it's collecting dust at the bottom of a box.

Yeah, lol. Actually my birthday is the day of the storm (3/31/94). You used to live in Shrewsbury? I just started keeping records last year even though I've been interested for a while so if you have the data on the computer you can pm me.

Happier feelings

Life of the storm

Formation

The storm started as a surface low pressure system over the Ohio River Valley that was generated by an area of strong jet stream energy carving out an active upper air low pressure trough on Sunday March 30. The low pressure system brought rain to much of the Ohio Valley.[5]

When the storm arrived in eastern New York and western New England the areas received light rain. The storm moved off the coast of New Jersey on March 31 and began rapidly strengthening and intensified air began rising vertically around the storm at a very rapid rate which cooled in the atmosphere and as a result the rain changed into heavy snow. The low moved very slowly along the coast gaining strength throughout the day with continuous supply of moisture supporting allowing an extended period of heavy snow.[5]

New England

Prior to the storm, Boston had received just 26.5 inches (670 mm) inches of snow for the season.[4] On March 30, Boston was sunny with a high temperature of 63°F and a cold front passed the next day dropping the temperature into the 40s.[2] Just prior to dawn on Monday March 31, precipitation began to fall in the form of light rain.[2] In Boston the rain began to mix with wet snow mid-morning and eventually turned to wet snow and became heavier just after 7 p.m. From 7 p.m. to 11 p.m. the snow fell at a rate of at least 1 inch (25 mm) per hour.[2]

During the peak of the storm from about 11 p.m. March 31 to 3 a.m. April 1, snow fell in Boston at an almost unheard-of rate of 3 inches (76 mm) per hour, some of the heaviest Boston had ever seen. Numerous lightning strikes and thunderclaps accompanied the extremely heavy snow, which accumulated one foot (12 inches (300 mm)) in just that four hour period. Moderate to heavy snow continued through midmorning before tapering off.[2]

Impact

New England

Precipitation received

The 25.4 inches (650 mm) that fell at Boston's Logan International Airport was the third-biggest snowstorm in Boston history (biggest in the month of April) behind the North American blizzard of 2003 (27.5 inches (700 mm)) and the Northeastern United States blizzard of 1978 27.1 inches (690 mm) and made April 1997 the Boston's snowiest April on record (the previous record being a mere 13.3 inches (340 mm)).[2][3][5] It also set a record for Boston's greatest April 24-hour snowfall.[2][3] Parts of New England received 50 to 70 mph wind gusts at the height of the storm.[5] Providence recorded 18 inches (460 mm) inches of snow which was the fourth greatest on record at the time.[3] Other parts of New England reported more than 30 inches (760 mm) inches[6] and up to three feet[7] with Worcester receiving 33 inches (840 mm), the city's largest snowfall in history.[8]

Damage and travel disruptions

A state of emergency was declared by Massachusetts Gov. William F. Weld.[4] The snow came down too fast for road crews to keep up with and roads became impassable and thousands of cars were stranded.[2][9] Commuter trolleys in Boston were closed for the first time in nearly twenty years,[4] public transportation was crippled, about 1,000 motorists spent the night stranded in their cars and 4,000 stayed in shelters.[4] Some of the narrow side streets of Boston were completely buried[2] and portions of Interstate 95 and Route 128 were shut down because of the snow.[10] The main roads and highways were cleared within a couple of days but the secondary roads remained a mess making travel difficult.[8] Two days after the storm, subways and commuter rails were still sluggish because of fallen trees and signal problems.[8]

The wet and heavy snow caused tree limbs and even whole trees to fall.[2] Some fell on power lines, and many people were left without power.[2] Electricity was knocked out for nearly 700,000 people.[9] Nearly 13% of New England lost power, mainly due to trees falling on power lines and utility poles.[4] Power crews from as far away as Canada came to help clean up the area.[10]

Logan Airport was also shut down from 2 p.m. March 31 to 10 p.m. April 1.[4] On April 3, despite a clear blue sky and temperatures in the 50s, travelers were still stranded at Logan Airport.[7]

Mid-Atlantic

LOL

63F on March 30

33" March 31-April 1

That would have been quite the birthday present if I was a little older. Snowman.gif

Was that your folks house on the other page?

I am dreading yard cleanup in April

Yeah it was..not the first pic, but the other pics were from the street and yard. The first pic was a few miles away in Norwell.

The areas in se mass are a disaster. The big snow bombs of 12/26 and 1/12 were massive wet snow bombs there. You should see the tree damage. It's pretty bad now that some of the snow, melted. There are a lot of white pines down there, and they took a beating. They lost power for almost a day in each storm.

Yeah, lol. Actually my birthday is the day of the storm (3/31/94). You used to live in Shrewsbury? I just started keeping records last year even though I've been interested for a while so if you have the data on the computer you can pm me.

LOL

63F on March 30

33" March 31-April 1

That would have been quite the birthday present if I was a little older. Snowman.gif

It was beyond epic. My old computer has the pics. I'll post them on 4/1.

Archived