• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Next storm on the list, March 6-7

Typhoon Tip

"...TARGETED RECONNAISSANCE OBSERVATIONS HAVE BEEN DISCUSSED FOR THE PACIFIC OCEAN DURING THE PERIOD TO HELP SORT OUT THE CRITICALREGION BELIEVED TO HAVE BEARING ON THE DOWNSTREAM SPLIT.

CISCO"

In brief, what I am seeing is a sharply rising PNA in the nightly computations at both CDC and CPC... It's not so much that the value barely exceed 0.0 SD, but that it recovers some 2SD total. That should offer at least some relaxation of tendencies to drill lowered heights in the intermountain region; interestingly, timed accordingly most deterministiic guidance do have at least a trasient ridge propagating through there.

The amplitude in the E in a week has been hit on fairly hard by the operational GFS, despite not being the model of choice because of its apparent progressivity bias in that late middle range(s). This seems plausible here because the NAO is weakly descended, but enough to offer some lowering height tendencies in the east. That is a "weak" teleconnector convergence of sorts in totality...rightfully ear marked by a well timed transient trough along the EC notwithstanding magnitude.

The dailies of the event are inrtiguing with ill-timed lower tropospheric features. Large polar high slips seaward and this sets up a pre-baroclinic axis that already has southerly winds up and down the EC before the trough arrives. That is why a few of these runs all look 1888'ish with the warm air/sector attemping to punch west on the polarward side of the wave that would inevitably develope farther down the baroclinic axis. The -EPO that also flexes during that period could, however, send down a pretty impressive late season +PP anomally across southern Canada, and the ESENs mean actually shows a strong arm of this high pressure extending east toward NW New England. That enters the possibiity that these runs are too low with the sealvl pressure medium in Ontario, and thus, "too 1888ish" to be corrected toward a colder polar side environment.

The other thing I am noting is that the heights and balanced mlv wind field over the deep S/SE, well prior to the trough arrival, are suddenly quite compressible by week's end. Should even slighter ridge amplitude surge out W, the bottom likely drops out and any S/W dynamics rattling around in the spatial-temporal layout of these large synoptic scale changes would undoubtedly avail and carve out something more impressive over what is currently modeled - just something to heads up.

All in all ...nothing deterministic, but the extremes on this event range from a slow moving western runner with a lot of high PWAT transport and southerly high DP winds to obliterate the snow pack and drive rivers over bankful, to perhaps a more peace full lead baroclinic translation and cold bleed setting stage for the wave on the boundary to develop and get the region involved in a late season snow event. I do believe, though, that this is a monitorable event as the week goes on.

John

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"...TARGETED RECONNAISSANCE OBSERVATIONS HAVE BEEN DISCUSSED FOR THE PACIFIC OCEAN DURING THE PERIOD TO HELP SORT OUT THE CRITICALREGION BELIEVED TO HAVE BEARING ON THE DOWNSTREAM SPLIT.

CISCO"

In brief, what I am seeing is a sharply rising PNA in the nightly computations at both CDC and CPC... It's not so much that the value barely exceed 0.0 SD, but that it recovers some 2SD total. That should offer at least some relaxation of tendencies to drill lowered heights in the intermountain region; interestingly, timed accordingly most deterministiic guidance do have at least a trasient ridge propagating through there.

The amplitude in the E in a week has been hit on fairly hard by the operational GFS, despite not being the model of choice because of its apparent progressivity bias in that late middle range(s). This seems plausible here because the NAO is weakly descended, but enough to offer some lowering height tendencies in the east. That is a "weak" teleconnector convergence of sorts in totality...rightfully ear marked by a well timed transient trough along the EC notwithstanding magnitude.

The dailies of the event are inrtiguing with ill-timed lower tropospheric features. Large polar high slips seaward and this sets up a pre-baroclinic axis that already has southerly winds up and down the EC before the trough arrives. That is why a few of these runs all look 1888'ish with the warm air/sector attemping to punch west on the polarward side of the wave that would inevitably develope farther down the baroclinic axis. The -EPO that also flexes during that period could, however, send down a pretty impressive late season +PP anomally across southern Canada, and the ESENs mean actually shows a strong arm of this high pressure extending east toward NW New England. That enters the possibiity that these runs are too low with the sealvl pressure medium in Ontario, and thus, "too 1888ish" to be corrected toward a colder polar side environment.

The other thing I am noting is that the heights and balanced mlv wind field over the deep S/SE, well prior to the trough arrival, are suddenly quite compressible by week's end. Should even slighter ridge amplitude surge out W, the bottom likely drops out and any S/W dynamics rattling around in the spatial-temporal layout of these large synoptic scale changes would undoubtedly avail and carve out something more impressive over what is currently modeled - just something to heads up.

All in all ...nothing deterministic, but the extremes on this event range from a slow moving western runner with a lot of high PWAT transport and southerly high DP winds to obliterate the snow pack and drive rivers over bankful, to perhaps a more peace full lead baroclinic translation and cold bleed setting stage for a the wave on the boundary to develop and get the region involved in a late season snow event. I do believe, though, that this is a monitorable event as the week goes on.

John

Snow is good, snow is great. Snow is the way to go

Kevin

1888 on top of Ginx's 1717 fetish

sweet jeezus

Send more planes

Don't go nuts with that - nothing about this week's end synoptics hearkens to that... It was referenced just for the general appeal of having warm air wrapping around the north side...

Welcome to Spring everyone!

Seemingly right on schedule, there are now more warm sectors showing up in the extended GFS/ECM....

Regarding this, the models refuse to allow a cold solution to work out of this; may be the flood headliner -

Don't go nuts with that - nothing about this week's end synoptics hearkens to that... It was referenced just for the general appeal of having warm air wrapping around the north side...

Welcome to Spring everyone!

Seemingly right on schedule, there are now more warm sectors showing up in the extended GFS/ECM....

Regarding this, the models refuse to allow a cold solution to work out of this; may be the flood headliner -

:lol: I know I know... I just thought it was funny to see it mentioned with some of those panels.

Nice day out there

Build the arks

What's the latest on this?

BOX seems to be favoring a slower, slightly less impactful outcome?

7:56AFD

SUNDAY-MONDAY...AS THE UPPER PATTERN BECOMES EVEN MORE AMPLIFIED

DURING THIS TIMEFRAME...THE APPROACHING FRONT WILL BECOME PARALLEL

TO THIS FLOW. THIS WILL TEND TO SLOW THINGS DOWN A BIT WITH A MILD

SOUTHERLY FLOW IN PLACE. STEADY RAINFALL WILL PUSH E DURING THE DAY

ON SUNDAY...SO EXPECT CATEGORICAL POPS FOR MOST AREAS BY LATE IN THE

DAY AND ALL AREAS SUNDAY NIGHT.

APPEARS THAT MOST MODELS ARE DEVELOPING A WAVE ALONG THIS FRONT.

QUESTION AT THIS POINT WILL BE HOW DEEP WILL THIS LOW BECOME AND

WHETHER IT TRIES TO TAP MOISTURE FROM DOWN THE COAST WHICH COULD

BRING IN HEAVY RAINFALL MAINLY FOR SUNDAY NIGHT AND MONDAY. MOST OF

THE MODELS...INCLUDING THE 00Z OP ECMWF RUN...WERE LEANING TOWARD A

WEAKER SYSTEM AND NOT A LOT OF COPIOUS RAIN. HOWEVER...THE 12Z OP

ECMWF RUN CAME IN WITH A DEEPER SYSTEM AND HEAVY RAINFALL...ON THE

ORDER OF AROUND 2 INCHES FOR A GOOD PORTION OF THE REGION. THIS ALSO

DRAMATICALLY SLOWED THE FRONT/S PROGRESSION AS OPPOSED TO MOST OF

THE OTHER 12Z OP RUNS AND THEIR ENSEMBLES. THIS TREND WILL NEED TO

BE WATCHED ON THE OTHER MODELS...BUT FOR NOW HAVE LEANED TOWARD A

SOMEWHAT MORE PROGRESSIVE MOVEMENT WITH THE FRONT AND WEAKER

LOW...WHICH WOULD LEND TO SOMEWHAT LOWER PRECIP AMOUNTS. FOR THIS

PERIOD HAVE FORECASTED 0.7 TO 1.25 INCHES OF PRECIP...HIGHEST ACROSS

CENTRAL AND WESTERN AREAS...AT LEAST FOR NOW. MAY SEE SOME LOCALLY

HEAVIER POCKETS OF RAINFALL ACROSS CENTRAL AND WESTERN AREAS SUNDAY

NIGHT. WILL BE RATHER MILD ON SUNDAY WITH READINGS REACHING TO THE

LOWER 50S ACROSS A GOOD CHUNK OF THE REGION. MAY SEE TEMPS FALL BACK

TO AROUND 30 WELL INLAND WHICH COULD MEAN A PERIOD OF MIXED

PRECIP...BUT SUSPECT THE MODEL GUIDANCE MAY BE A BIT TOO COLD

CONSIDERING THE CONTINUED S-SW WIND FLOW.

FOR NOW...WILL TIME THE PRECIP TAPERING OFF DURING MONDAY AS THE

WAVE OF LOW PRES MOVES S OF NEW ENGLAND TO CAPE COD...DRAGGING THE

FRONT ACROSS THE REGION. WITH SOME COLDER AIR WORKING IN...CENTRAL

AND WESTERN AREAS MAY SEE A MIX OR CHANGE BACK TO A BRIEF PERIOD OF

SNOW SHOWERS BEFORE ENDING.

0z EC and 6z cut the 2nd wave west now and clobber extreme N NY and the NW tip of VT. The 6z GFS jumps on board and clobbers interior MA and then me with 1-2ft of snow. lol

Hopefully the EC is too far west or else it's more of a storm for Massena, NY.

I like ALY's thinking. I think things will break the right way for those of us in the high terrain. March/April are risk reward months. I'll take an active weather pattern that offers both good and bad results over a dull, lifeless month. March snow totals are going to start to add up in the higher elevations.AWT.

OPTION ONE: RAIN CHANGES TO SNOW SUNDAY NIGHT AND CONTINUES INTO

MONDAY MORNING...THEN TAPERS OFF TO SNOW/RAIN SHOWERS MONDAY

AFTERNOON (00Z ECMWF AND 00Z NAM). SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL IS POSSIBLE

WITH THIS OPTION.

HAVE CHOSEN TO FORECAST USING OPTION ONE...SINCE THIS SOLUTION IS

THE MOST IN LINE WITH PREVIOUS MODEL GUIDANCE AND PREVIOUS ALY

FORECASTS.

Not that dire here on the East slope. What we may lose off the top we are likely to gain right back. Tis only a flesh wound.

Today...Partly sunny. Cold with highs in the lower 30s. South winds 5 to 10 mph.

Tonight...Cloudy. Not as cool with lows in the mid 20s. South winds 5 to 10 mph.

Saturday...Mostly cloudy. A chance of rain and snow showers in the morning...then a chance of rain showers in the afternoon. Not as cool with highs in the lower 40s. South winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation 40 percent.

Saturday Night...Rain likely. Not as cool. Near steady temperature in the upper 30s. South winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 60 percent.

Sunday...Rain. Highs in the mid 40s. Southeast winds 10 to 15 mph...becoming south 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon. Chance of rain 80 percent.

Sunday Night...Rain with snow likely with freezing rain. Lows in the upper 20s. Chance of precipitation 80 percent.

Monday...Snow likely. Cooler with highs in the mid 30s. Chance of snow 60 percent.

This part is better than it was yesterday...

(4:45AFD BOX)

SUNDAY NIGHT INTO MONDAY...A COLD FRONT WILL SLOWLY PUSH EAST ACROSS

THE AREA SUNDAY NIGHT INTO MONDAY MORNING AS UPPER LEVEL RIDGING

REMAINS PREVALENT JUST EAST OF THE AREA. IT APPEARS A SURFACE WAVE

WILL FORM ALONG THE FRONT. MAIN QUESTION WILL BE WHERE THE FOCUS OF

HEAVIEST PRECIPITATION WILL OCCUR. USED A BLEND OF THE SLOWER 00Z

NAM AND FASTER 00Z GFS GUIDANCE AS WELL AS THE 00Z ECMWF SOLUTION.

THIS YIELDS A SOLUTION WITH SURFACE LOW PRESSURE DEVELOPING OFF

THE MID ATLANTIC COAST SUNDAY NIGHT...TRACKING NORTHEAST ACROSS

SOUTHEASTERN NEW ENGLAND MONDAY. THERMAL PROFILES BECOME COLD ENOUGH

TO SUPPORT MIXED PRECIPITATION ACROSS THE NORTHWEST INTERIOR WHERE

SEVERAL INCHES OF SNOW AND SLEET MAY ACCUMULATE. ELSEWHERE RAIN WILL

BE LOCALLY HEAVY WITH HIGHEST CONFIDENCE IN SOME URBAN AND POOR

DRAINAGE FLOODING. STILL THERE IS UNCERTAINTY REGARDING SURFACE LOW

TRACK AND IMPACT ON PLACEMENT OF HEAVIEST PRECIPITATION AS WELL AS

THE RAIN SNOW LINE ATTM GIVEN RUN TO RUN MODEL INCONSISTENCY AS WELL

AS A WIDE RANGE OF ENSEMBLE PERTURBATIONS.

This part is better than it was yesterday...

(4:45AFD BOX)

SUNDAY NIGHT INTO MONDAY...A COLD FRONT WILL SLOWLY PUSH EAST ACROSS

THE AREA SUNDAY NIGHT INTO MONDAY MORNING AS UPPER LEVEL RIDGING

REMAINS PREVALENT JUST EAST OF THE AREA. IT APPEARS A SURFACE WAVE

WILL FORM ALONG THE FRONT. MAIN QUESTION WILL BE WHERE THE FOCUS OF

HEAVIEST PRECIPITATION WILL OCCUR. USED A BLEND OF THE SLOWER 00Z

NAM AND FASTER 00Z GFS GUIDANCE AS WELL AS THE 00Z ECMWF SOLUTION.

THIS YIELDS A SOLUTION WITH SURFACE LOW PRESSURE DEVELOPING OFF

THE MID ATLANTIC COAST SUNDAY NIGHT...TRACKING NORTHEAST ACROSS

SOUTHEASTERN NEW ENGLAND MONDAY. THERMAL PROFILES BECOME COLD ENOUGH

TO SUPPORT MIXED PRECIPITATION ACROSS THE NORTHWEST INTERIOR WHERE

SEVERAL INCHES OF SNOW AND SLEET MAY ACCUMULATE. ELSEWHERE RAIN WILL

BE LOCALLY HEAVY WITH HIGHEST CONFIDENCE IN SOME URBAN AND POOR

DRAINAGE FLOODING. STILL THERE IS UNCERTAINTY REGARDING SURFACE LOW

TRACK AND IMPACT ON PLACEMENT OF HEAVIEST PRECIPITATION AS WELL AS

THE RAIN SNOW LINE ATTM GIVEN RUN TO RUN MODEL INCONSISTENCY AS WELL

AS A WIDE RANGE OF ENSEMBLE PERTURBATIONS.

Mmm, yes I noticed the 06z GFS with excessive short duration snow fall rates for east of EEN-Tolland CT (HAHA). Eastern sections got clipped with a blue snow clocking with a synoptic appeal of 10" for interior eastern Mass and NW RI. Front clears and more or less what the previous runs were showing returned in the 06z GFS and to some degree in the 00Z Euro, encouraging for those unable to let go of winter emotionally. Personally I think you'd improve the quality of your life if you'd check into the Beddy Ford clinic on this and not get enabled by another event... Be that as it may, now that there is a better relay off the Pacific ... it is no wonder we see more southern stream dynamics conserved post fropa up along the NE coast. And this 500mb wave dynamic is moving slightly W of the low level baroclinic axis once it has been displaced E of Cape Cod, so that supports a strong ~ 850mb-700mb inflow response to get the cyclogen aided along. This develops a moderate cyclogensis containing jacked PWAT. Interesting to see the 06z GFS really deepen the 850mb level circulation field - that is ideal looking frontogen kinetics and that would probably result in thundersnow if that solution verfied verbatim. Haven't seen much other guidance so frankly take this with a grain of salt.

Eh... it is what it is.

Beyond that, definitely can detect the models tusseling with season change. Cut-off season is abounding in the operational GFS and to some degree in the ECM, and deterministics pretty much do not exist for the foreseeable future - no help from the teleoconnectors for correction methods, either. Par for the course.

Wow, on the 00z NAM ... can't wait to see this 12z... But the 00z flat out implies something major evolving with a negatively tilted deep layer trough clearly attempting to cut and slip under LI... Regardless of whether there is a quasi-warm sectoral look to the thickness and PP in the area, with a 1044mb polar high stacked into far eastern Ontario, that would all mean a massively collapsing column extrapolated into a some kind of big huge deal. 06z was slightly less impressive but still offered vestiges of something of similar ilk...

hahah, good thing I waited to see that piece of shist -

Get me to May 1 already!

Wow, on the 00z NAM ... can't wait to see this 12z... But the 00z flat out implies something major evolving with a negatively tilted deep layer trough clearly attempting to cut and slip under LI... Regardless of whether there is a quasi-warm sectoral look to the thickness and PP in the area, with a 1044mb polar high stacked into far eastern Ontario, that would all mean a massively collapsing column extrapolated into a some kind of big huge deal. 06z was slightly less impressive but still offered vestiges of something of similar ilk...

Get me to May 1 already!

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php?/topic/14606-dave-tolleris-says-tip-will-be-in-garagewindows-up/

Mmm, yes I noticed the 06z GFS with excessive short duration snow fall rates for east of EEN-Tolland CT (HAHA). Eastern sections got clipped with a blue snow clocking with a synoptic appeal of 10" for interior eastern Mass and NW RI. Front clears and more or less what the previous runs were showing returned in the 06z GFS and to some degree in the 00Z Euro, encouraging for those unable to let go of winter emotionally. Personally I think you'd improve the quality of your life if you'd check into the Beddy Ford clinic on this and not get enabled by another event... Be that as it may, now that there is a better relay off the Pacific ... it is no wonder we see more southern stream dynamics conserved post fropa up along the NE coast. And this 500mb wave dynamic is moving slightly W of the low level baroclinic axis once it has been displaced E of Cape Cod, so that supports a strong ~ 850mb-700mb inflow response to get the cyclogen aided along. This develops a moderate cyclogensis containing jacked PWAT. Interesting to see the 06z GFS really deepen the 850mb level circulation field - that is ideal looking frontogen kinetics and that would probably result in thundersnow if that solution verfied verbatim. Haven't seen much other guidance so frankly take this with a grain of salt.

Eh... it is what it is.

Beyond that, definitely can detect the models tusseling with season change. Cut-off season is abounding in the operational GFS and to some degree in the ECM, and deterministics pretty much do not exist for the foreseeable future - no help from the teleoconnectors for correction methods, either. Par for the course.

I'm a junkie!!! I love reading your posts.

Once spring really arrives in April, please don't stop posting

The 12Z NAM and previous GFS runs are totally on different planets when it comes to this system. NAM is closed off, negative.slams the route 401 corridor in Canada with a snowstorm. GFS progressive off the east coast and out much faster... Usually when this kind of things happens the GFS capitulates.....

I'm a junkie!!! I love reading your posts.

Once spring really arrives in April, please don't stop posting

I don't see any point in giving up on winter wx threats on march 4th when there won't be anything else worth following for months anyway....nothing to lose. Maybe I should give up on winter threats and embrace the mud season huh. ;)

Get me to May 1 already!

Archived