christians
    Newest Member
    christians
March

DaculaWeather

• Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got stuck in the beginning stages of that same storm that everyone has been talking about at Ceasers Head. Only had about pea sized hail, but it came down for a good 5-10 minutes, and my hiking crew had to take shelter in some bushes to avoid the falling velocity of the hail. Certainly made for any interesting hike guitar.gif

Much cooler today on the other side of the front... only sitting at 56.0 degrees currently in Asheville.

Lol good observation GFS will probably keep storm for the next week or so getting us all excited, then April 1st the GFS will say April Fool's and the storm will be gone. :lol::axe:

Definitly don't buy the big snow, but I do think we are going to have to worry about a big freeze. I have a lot of fruit trees that have started blooming and I can see it coming...

Ditto that! Anything (almost) but wind.

Bad thing with warmer weather, saw a tick today, seems a little early for those nasty things.

My favorite place in the world to be is Beech Mountain when it is snowing with no wind. My least favorite place to be is Beech Mountain when it is snowing and very windy. Actually its not my least favorite, that just sounded better. But it is like heaven when I'm up there and the snow is coming straight down at around 30 degrees with no wind. Its not even that cold.

I think a lot of us dream of moving to a place where it snows more. I wonder are there good places in the high country of N. Carolina where you get lots of snow but are relatively protected by the wind.

This morning I had .01 in my COCORAHS gauge, and the driveway was damp. I saw only 2 other stations in N GA that reported more than a trace. I looked at the past radar and didn't see anything go over my house. But I looked at the map, and you can draw pretty much a straight line West to East between the three locations in NE GA that reported at least .01, starting in Lumpkin, then Banks, and then Stephens County. Looks to me like this was the work of one small rain cloud?

post-3599-0-26548800-1300732273.jpg

My favorite place in the world to be is Beech Mountain when it is snowing with no wind. My least favorite place to be is Beech Mountain when it is snowing and very windy. Actually its not my least favorite, that just sounded better. But it is like heaven when I'm up there and the snow is coming straight down at around 30 degrees with no wind. Its not even that cold.

I think a lot of us dream of moving to a place where it snows more. I wonder are there good places in the high country of N. Carolina where you get lots of snow but are relatively protected by the wind.

Yeah, the warmer / less windy snow would come on the front side of weak to moderate lows coming out of the gulf, with the colder / windy snow coming from post frontal NW upslope flow.

After this winter I'd kill for 72 without the wind. I HATE THE WIND !

I spent quite a bit of time backpacking in the high country in my pre-marriage days. I could deal with horrible conditions but the wind up there is just unrelenting. I use to hate coming home and having the shower hit my wind chapped face. I was up in the Cohuttas yesterday and as I walked into a gap at about 3500 feet it was like walking into a wind tunnel. I got me some ramps by the way. They could have used another week or so but those suckers are getting fried up with some bacon and taters tonight. I pickled a bunch too.

Definitely will be interesting to watch. I believe it snow in GA sometime in April back in the 80s (a light dusting. I was just a kid, maybe I am wrong and it was in March).

I believe that was April of 1987. It dumped snow in Alabama and tapered off through Georgia. I think its called the dogwood snow storm.

Didn't get a chance to report on those storms the other day. Didn't get much rain but had a hell of a light show and a ton of wind, gusts above 40 a few times. It missed me just to the east. In fact, there were reports of trees down about 3 or 4 miles away. I was quite surprised by it all that's for sure though. And btw, I was thinking man..eyewall would love to see this lol

When is the last time we got a late March snowstorm and the temperatures the previous weeks were around those of this year? First one to tell me gets a prize...It will be in the lower to mid 80's for the next two days...and we saw 85 last week...snow chance is about 0.000001% for March and April combined!

I returned from St. Augustine to find .33 in the bucket :weight_lift: I don't see anything on the horizon but a passing sprinkle (if I'm lucky), at least I will get a break from the mid 80's for a few days :sun:

Here are a couple of pictures from the lighthouse this past Friday, it was a beautiful night :wub:

199049_1757515816408_1194372083_31698664_5407638_n.jpg

from the top

Top.jpg

The pattern coming up, starting this weekend still looks like a change. Even though the Thur/Friday front will be mostly dry in the Southeast, except the Apps (and northeast snowstorm), after that all models show the eastern Canada vortex and ridge combo will force the flow further south. This should allow the next 2, maybe 3 systems to take the low road, each of which could be decent rain makers for the Southeast , esp. areas of the upper south/Tenn Valley/Carolinas, closer to the strong baroclinic boundary. The very northern shield of the systems could be snow, but thats toward Ohio Valley/Mason-Dixon line areas, even though later on the GFS and ECMWF have extremely cold rains with a damming config. twice in wNC/VA area, which in Winter would have been snow or ice. I think some would be happy if the Euro totals come to pass, but the GFS rain amounts are good too, on all combined systems through the next 10 days. Allergies and the pollen are now officially a pain here, and I can't wait for the next good rain.

Archived