e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
March

DaculaWeather

• Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely not around here, although we rank very high in NC on twisters. The upper and western part of the county is in a very different topography, where a small but jagged chain of mountains really does some wild local things up there, but for the most part, storms die out if there heading toward highway 74, and in general coming off the Apps and Blue Ridge from Asheville you'll notice they die out, then maybe re-form just east or sout, or north, depending on their trajectory and other factors. Summer pop-up storms used to be very common, but thats in a traditional sw flow, which hasn't been in place in a few years. In fact, theres a max around here if you look at the 1971-2000 climo maps, and CLT was less. The reverse is true now.

That does make sense. I was I was thinking more severe weather i.e. Tornadoes then actual summer storms. I guess it just depends on where you are standing. It would be nice to have a normal summer for once. Last summer was miserable heat wise. Lets hope things get better real soon! Lets also hope that a tropical system moves across the Southeast this summer/fall as we are overdue.

What area of the metro are you moving to Ryan? We had our big drought in 2007 and another back in the 90s so dont bring that crap with you.

Haha. North of the city, probably Kennesaw area. And I don't want to bring any drought with me. Trust me. I am actually from Atlanta so I know how prone to droughts they are.

I'm at 6.68 for the month and 12.40 for the year. I'm thankful for this drier stretch of weather we are in now. I have a LOT of outside work that needs to be done.

pretty huge differences in the rainmap already, and we're not even 3 full months into the new year. Once east of the Apps, you're out of the green which is 10", and some extremely low amounts around central and eastern NC which shows up like a sore thumb. In GA theres many spots the second shade of green 15", and even some third tier green in Albama over 20" already. Not surprising given a Nina Winter and how many of the systems this year weakened after exiting the state of GA, which is typical in Ninas.

post-38-0-87741600-1300328159.jpg

pretty huge differences in the rainmap already, and we're not even 3 full months into the new year. Once east of the Apps, you're out of the green which is 10", and some extremely low amounts around central and eastern NC which shows up like a sore thumb. In GA theres many spots the second shade of green 15", and even some third tier green in Albama over 20" already. Not surprising given a Nina Winter and how many of the systems this year weakened after exiting the state of GA, which is typical in Ninas.

post-38-0-87741600-1300328159.jpg

I've had a bit over 10 so far. I was moving some leaves around today and was pleased to see how wet it was underneath. But just a month ago it was bone dry out in the woods so I know how quickly things can change. Here's hoping for a nice cold, wet spring and a return to daily afternoon t storms this summer. Seems like a long time since the daily boomers were around. T

My weather station battery died overnight but I assume I'm close to freezing. I had frost all over the house and my truck. The bermuda is still dead so I couldn't tell about the grass. Local stations range from 31 - 34 degrees. Not bad for mid March. I still think we will get another good freeze at the end of the month.

My weather station battery died overnight but I assume I'm close to freezing. I had frost all over the house and my truck. The bermuda is still dead so I couldn't tell about the grass. Local stations range from 31 - 34 degrees. Not bad for mid March. I still think we will get another good freeze at the end of the month.

It is currently 35.3f and falling here with scattered light frost.

That always make me mad when that happens.

I made down to 32.2 with lots of frost.

What kind of station?

I think the GFS was showing a closed ridge in central Canada beyond 10 days. If that happens, you'll probably get your "cold air fix" . Each day that passes its harder to remain very cold in the day now, with longer days and shorter nights, and climo temps are edging up fast now. But we're no stranger to hard freezes in late Mar and early April. I'd be rooting against it though since they're so damaging that late in the season. The next couple of months are some of the most interesting with all the rapid changes though, from big wind events and severe outbreaks and storms with hail, to upper lows (with mtns snow).

The inevitable hard freeze is probably coming in the 7day + timeframe. The GFS from a few days ago indicated a closed high developing in central Canada and the last few runs have continued this, which helps to eventually develop a 50/50 low, and depending on how strong it is, and other factors, will probably end up being the catalyst for steering a Canadian airmass , or a few of them, down our way at some point. This would have the effect of enhancing our rain chances, since any spoke of energy aloft this time of year is a good Tstorm and Hail maker for some areas, and 2) keep our temps down, with freezes at night under the right conditions. It gets a little extreme toward the end of the run, so I won't venture much past 7 to 10 days, where that looks reasonable. The ECMWF is on board too.

post-38-0-37488300-1300394310.gif

post-38-0-68666200-1300394316.gif

post-38-0-26900800-1300394324.gif

post-38-0-61396700-1300394329.gif

The inevitable hard freeze is probably coming in the 7day + timeframe. The GFS from a few days ago indicated a closed high developing in central Canada and the last few runs have continued this, which helps to eventually develop a 50/50 low, and depending on how strong it is, and other factors, will probably end up being the catalyst for steering a Canadian airmass , or a few of them, down our way at some point. This would have the effect of enhancing our rain chances, since any spoke of energy aloft this time of year is a good Tstorm and Hail maker for some areas, and 2) keep our temps down, with freezes at night under the right conditions. It gets a little extreme toward the end of the run, so I won't venture much past 7 to 10 days, where that looks reasonable. The ECMWF is on board too.

Shoot, I haven't given up on an Easter snow! Been a long time since I saw snow in April. It doesn't stick around very long, but it is always a nice jab with a stick to summer, lol. T

Shoot, I haven't given up on an Easter snow! Been a long time since I saw snow in April. It doesn't stick around very long, but it is always a nice jab with a stick to summer, lol. T

You do realize Easter is at the END of April...? I would agree with you if Easter was in the first week of April, but with it being April 24... I don't see how that's possible :P Though I must say, in 7-10 days (like foothills said) we could be experiencing some cold temps... Which isn't good because everyone is like SWEET! Cold is gone! .... It's not going to be fun telling them "In 7 to 10 days the models are looking mighty chilly..." tonight. laugh.gif

You do realize Easter is at the END of April...? I would agree with you if Easter was in the first week of April, but with it being April 24... I don't see how that's possible :P Though I must say, in 7-10 days (like foothills said) we could be experiencing some cold temps... Which isn't good because everyone is like SWEET! Cold is gone! .... It's not going to be fun telling them "In 7 to 10 days the models are looking mighty chilly..." tonight. laugh.gif

Lol....no, I was just assuming it was early in the month. Yep, even I won't be dumb enough to hope for snow in late April :) Well...I'll hope for it...but I'd give that little chance of happening. Now..April 5th is fair game :) T

I don't know about the Atlanta area, but the latest snowfall for Charlotte is April 28th, 1928 where a trace occurred. The latest measurable snow occurred on April the 20th, 1904 when 0.8" fell. More recently snow has fallen as late as April 17th back in 2001 but that only amounted to a trace.

If I remember correctly April of 09 we received flurries in the Atlanta area. I remember I was down at Mexico Beach with a friend for Spring Break when my mother said it was snowing. That Friday when I returned we had that tornado outbreak with a high risk for NW Georgia N Alabama into portions of TN. Believe the severe weather event was April 10 that year. Other than that can't recall any other days where snow fell in Atlanta metro in April.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Latest big snow I remember for Asheville NC I was carrying the mail. We wore shorts like the week before and April 3rd I think it was we had a foot of heavy wet snow, it was a Friday night and Saturday snowfall and I think the year was 1987. I attempted to deliver the mail and couldn't for all the people getting stuck in the snow Saturday morning out joy riding.

If I remember correctly April of 09 we received flurries in the Atlanta area. I remember I was down at Mexico Beach with a friend for Spring Break when my mother said it was snowing. That Friday when I returned we had that tornado outbreak with a high risk for NW Georgia N Alabama into portions of TN. Believe the severe weather event was April 10 that year. Other than that can't recall any other days where snow fell in Atlanta metro in April.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure I've seen a couple of inches several times in Atl. in April. I'm pretty sure one was an Easter sunday probably in the late 50's/early 60's. Larry...if you look in on this, please do your climo stat magic on Atl. April snows. And...don't tell me I'm imagining things again :) T

Archived