• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Mid-Winter Appreciation Thread

ski MRG

So what happened overnight to trend Sunday clipper stronger? Was looking crappy just yesterday yes? Does SNE get in on it or is it just CNE and NNE? Finally see above freezing temps and chance of rain showers in my zones. Is winter over? lol

These clippers tend to end up stronger once we get closer in on the models

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I appreciated the livin' be-jesus out of our -13F this morning, my truck didn't. Cough-cough, sputter-put.....vroom! I put a heater on the oil-pan on mornings like this for an hour or so before I turn the key. Helps a lot but she still ain't too happy about the whole starting affair.

Yes, We realize that, This is where Lat really starts to come into play as we get later on into winter

Indeed. A little latitude and some elevation goes a long way when the winter days lengthen and gradients get tight.

Time to catch up & surpass? ;)

While I appreciated the livin' be-jesus out of our -13F this morning, my truck didn't. Cough-cough, sputter-put.....vroom! I put a heater on the oil-pan on mornings like this for an hour or so before I turn the key. Helps a lot but she still ain't too happy about the whole starting affair.

Indeed. A little latitude and some elevation goes a long way when the winter days lengthen and gradients get tight.

I like how Vim Toot has me in CNE...

I like my 1000+' of el

I love later winter events and crushing CT wannabees

But this might be their year

I like how Vim Toot has me in CNE...

I like my 1000+' of el

I love later winter events and crushing CT wannabees

But this might be their year

We'll see. We've still got a ways to go--needless to say, the elevation factor becomes more and more important as winter wanes. I'm at 75" now and should be able to get to 100" by mid-April when even the sugar snow is pretty much all done here.

Sure, from a climate standpoint, I'd put northern/central/western Mass in CNE. The way I see the breakdown is something like this: SNE is roughly defined by the dominance of the oak / hickory woods (scrubby pitch pines on the Cape), CNE is the white pine / hemlock / red maple zone and NNE is the spruce / fir / sugar maple / yellow birch zone.

It's probably not quite as simple as this--lost of other factors such as soil type, precip patterns, elevation, aspect/exposure, etc.-- but it works for me as a rough division/gradation.

We'll see. We've still got a ways to go--needless to say, the elevation factor becomes more and more important as winter wanes. I'm at 75" now and should be able to get to 100" by mid-April when even the sugar snow is pretty much all done here.

Sure, from a climate standpoint, I'd put northern/central/western Mass in CNE. The way I see the breakdown is something like this: SNE is roughly defined by the dominance of the oak / hickory woods (scrubby pitch pines on the Cape), CNE is the white pine / hemlock / red maple zone and NNE is the spruce / fir / sugar maple / yellow birch zone.

It's probably not quite as simple as this--lost of other factors such as soil type, precip patterns, elevation, aspect/exposure, etc.-- but it works for me as a rough division/gradation.

That is an interesting way to look at it. The dominant species would be affected by climate, so that makes sense. Deliniation is difficult but the forestry folks know how to do this easily.

Vim Toot has a good map he put together on a previous page that seems to follow a lot of elevation things...

Anyway, beautiful mid-winter day today. Cold, crisp. Wish I was skiing...

Yes , Lat and elevation goes a long ways here, Little tougher for me at times being in the coastal plain (Ele 221') but the lat part helps.. :snowman:

TBH, if I'm not going to get to experience at least mod snowfalls, then bring on 60*.

Jeezus Ray, Not tossing in winter already, We still have a ways to go, Just a bump in the road next week, I will be looking to see the 60's in April, Thats when Golf mode will kick in for me here, But a golf trip on the cape in March is always in the cards so i will agree with some 60's then

I can't wait for warmth to get here permanently. I'm sick of all this cold weather and snow. I hope it all melts next week so I can get outside and do some biking and play some frisbee. Time to move on. Winter is finished. On to spring and sunny 60 degree days with green fields and birds chirping

Jeezus Ray, Not tossing in winter already, We still have a ways to go, Just a bump in the road next week, I will be looking to see the 60's in April, Thats when Golf mode will kick in for me here, But a golf trip on the cape in March is always in the cards so i will agree with some 60's then

Not at all....but for the time being.....

I can't wait for warmth to get here permanently. I'm sick of all this cold weather and snow. I hope it all melts next week so I can get outside and do some biking and play some frisbee. Time to move on. Winter is finished. On to spring and sunny 60 degree days with green fields and birds chirping

Very transparent trolling attempt.

I had an awesome severe wx dream last night, I was in West Hartford with a bunch of people, and I had actually just signed up for a baseball team, a huge storm was coming and then it hit, we were walking to our cars and then all of a sudden there was really loud roaring and a huge crash, like lightning hit this building in front of us...we were freaking out and ran into the cars.

I then drove with someone and we saw the cloud structures...it was funny though b/c the cloud tops to the storm were separated from the storm itself...and I remember going crazy b/c the updrafts were tilted and all.

It was pretty cool.

Archived