• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid-Winter Appreciation Thread

ski MRG

9/4, Can't bring myself to post in a thread that has 'spring' or 'thaw' in the title. We don't seem to have a current general obs and banter thread so here it is. As Ginx predicted this Winter would seperate the men from the boys. Lots o' whining about the snow making life tough and people longing for Spring. Tough cookies. Spring is going to be a long time coming so don't hold your breath. In the meantime, get out and enjoy some Winter fun. Go skiing or iceskating, maybe try some snowshoes or find a hill to sled down. If you live in a place with no snow (perish the thought) make plans to getaway to some snowy hideaway. Revel in all winter has to offer. It's truly the most spectacular of all the seasons. Thankfully, much more snow and cold to come.

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Big winter, Big winter... :snowman:

Indeed. We will not have an extended period of benign weather IMHO. It's funny how some people are burnt out on Winter and it's only Feb 9th. All the scary talk about a 'Torch' when in reality we may see a few days AOA normal strikes me as alarmist.

9/4, Can't bring myself to post in a thread that has 'spring' or 'thaw' in the title. We don't seem to have a current general obs and banter thread so here it is. As Ginx predicted this Winter would seperate the men from the boys. Lots o' whining about the snow making life tough and people longing for Spring. Tough cookies. Spring is going to be a long time coming so don't hold your breath. In the meantime, get out and enjoy some Winter fun. Go skiing or iceskating, maybe try some snowshoes or find a hill to sled down. If you live in a place with no snow (perish the thought) make plans to getaway to some snowy hideaway. Revel in all winter has to offer. It's truly the most spectacular of all the seasons. Thankfully, much more snow and cold to come.

Ah , refreshing. Great times great times, our snow hill is faster than ever. Grandson has some nice bruises from hard falls but OK. I will say this down here the piles are like concrete, saw a chick with a wasted front end of a car, she hit a pile hard, pile suffered minimal damage. Ice is 12-18 thick, friends caught some big walleye yesterday, I caught perch last week LOL

Indeed. We will not have an extended period of benign weather IMHO. It's funny how some people are burnt out on Winter and it's only Feb 9th. All the scary talk about a 'Torch' when in reality we may see a few days AOA normal strikes me as alarmist.

It looks like a couple of days above normal temps and some on here think winter is over, I don't get it......... :huh:

Ah , refreshing. Great times great times, our snow hill is faster than ever. Grandson has some nice bruises from hard falls but OK. I will say this down here the piles are like concrete, saw a chick with a wasted front end of a car, she hit a pile hard, pile suffered minimal damage. Ice is 12-18 thick, fiends caught some big walleye yesterday, I caught perch last week LOL

Here it is, Feb 9th, and people think Winter is about to end. lol I'll stick with my original forecast, as I'm sure you will, that this party is just getting going. A quiet interlude before the crescendo. Snows through April up here Ginx, I had one of my premonitions this morning. First one in a while.

It looks like a couple of days above normal temps and some on here think winter is over, I don't get it......... :huh:

To be fair, there are places that have a substantial snowpack that typically don't get one. People in these areas are conditioned to think snow falls, snow melts, it gets mild, it rains, Winter is over. This season they'll get a chance to see what we just take for granted. Long Winter regionwide.

Here it is, Feb 9th, and people think Winter is about to end. lol I'll stick with my original forecast, as I'm sure you will, that this party is just getting going. A quiet interlude before the crescendo. Snows through April up here Ginx, I had one of my premonitions this morning. First one in a while.

Oh, jeez... 40" incoming for Pete...

The tempo of January was unusual, as is this temporary lull. Late Feb things could start rocking again. Still want a 20"er for this area. March is going to be great.

I remember a post from you about how you thought a lot of posters here were computer winter snow lovers. I see that now, they have little to track so they key on that fact, or a two day warmup. Party will rock hard, your premonitions are very good, but someone will dispel it as voodoo.

Oh, jeez... 40" incoming for Pete...

The tempo of January was unusual, as is this temporary lull. Late Feb things could start rocking again. Still want a 20"er for this area. March is going to be great.

You laugh.... I have no long range models,maps or theories about teleconnectivity to support my contention. I have only the same instinct that led me to believe this would be a great Winter. I'll take my intuition over any long range prognostication any day. Will my 'forecast' verify, maybe, maybe not. However, I firmly believe that Old Man Winter is not done batting us around.

I remember a post from you about how you thought a lot of posters here were computer winter snow lovers. I see that now, they have little to track so they key on that fact, or a two day warmup. Party will rock hard, your premonitions are very good, but someone will dispel it as voodoo.

Of course, and I would too. It's probably nothing more than an over active imagination but it has repeatedly served me well and not just with weather prediction. The fact of the matter is we've already had a great Winter and there really is no reason to think it will just sh*t the bed on us. All this torch talk and yet my NWS forecast is filled with cold and chances for snow.

You laugh.... I have no long range models,maps or theories about teleconnectivity to support my contention. I have only the same instinct that led me to believe this would be a great Winter. I'll take my intuition over any long range prognostication any day. Will my 'forecast' verify, maybe, maybe not. However, I firmly believe that Old Man Winter is not done batting us around.

Not laughing. Seriously. I remember them from last winter. I don;t think they ever failed.

I really feel this is just Gaia, Ullr, Ma Nature, whomever taking in a deep breath...

Of course, and I would too. It's probably nothing more than an over active imagination but it has repeatedly served me well and not just with weather prediction. The fact of the matter is we've already had a great Winter and there really is no reason to think it will just sh*t the bed on us. All this torch talk and yet my NWS forecast is filled with cold and chances for snow.

We all can't live on Mt Rainier.

To be fair, there are places that have a substantial snowpack that typically don't get one. People in these areas are conditioned to think snow falls, snow melts, it gets mild, it rains, Winter is over. This season they'll get a chance to see what we just take for granted. Long Winter regionwide.

LOL, I love snow and all its glory. Nobody is wishing it to melt. I think some just hate seeing it rot and become hideous looking. Personally, I'm digging the snowpack, but it does need a refresher.

We all can't live on Mt Rainier.

No, but we all live in New England and we can act like proper New Englanders and not whine about snow. We can also have some self respect and not have our threads spiral into some mirror image of a MA thread cancelling Winter on 2/9 because of a questionable LR forecast of a day or two of above normal temps. You are right, this thread is for the weenies and proudly so. Good Day sir. lol

C'mon Sam, keep that disgusting imagery out of this clean and wholesome thread. I thought you were a Winter weather lover. You should be ashamed of yourself.

:lol: My apologies. To be perfectly honest, I'm not completely dreading a few days above normal. A nice change of pace to make us appreciate the snowy periods even more. I definitely do not want (nor do I expect) winter to wind down early. I want a couple of heavy wet sticky snow storms to really coat everything in white ... haven't had much of that this winter, then a March 2001.

:lol: My apologies. To be perfectly honest, I'm not completely dreading a few days above normal. A nice change of pace to make us appreciate the snowy periods even more. I definitely do not want (nor do I expect) winter to wind down early. I want a couple of heavy wet sticky snow storms to really coat everything in white ... haven't had much of that this winter, then a March 2001.

That's more like it. Good man. We need to re-program BIrving because he's really gone over to the dark side. I'll give him the benefit of doubt and blame some of his shameful posts on cabin fever.

Archived