• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Mid-Winter Appreciation Thread

ski MRG

lol at Pete and Ginx...such delicate flowers that can't bear to talk about warmth so much they have to start their own winter circle jerk thread.

No, we're just not drama Queens that get all flustered by the prospect of a couple days of above freezing temps in the midst of a fantastic Winter.

If we touch 60 in the next 7 days I'm going to be soooooo excited!!! Spring Fever!

Disgusting, revolting.

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Temp has risen 18 degrees past 90 minutes with southerly flow. Ice fog overnight had everything glistening with ice this morning, including roads/ deck/ trees/ etc. Still hanging on to about a foot of water-laden, walk on top-of, snowpack.

Groton New London bridge was closed for a while due to multiple accidents.

lol at Pete and Ginx...such delicate flowers that can't bear to talk about warmth so much they have to start their own winter circle jerk thread.

WTF are you talking about, we are discussing the day to day joys of this winter so far, to characterize it as a circle jerk is sad. Trolls r us even pro mets . The sled run is ice fast, the skiing in the north is the best in years, ice skating on cleared lakes everywhere, ice fishing, snowmobiling, just perfect.

Nick perhaps Bermuda is where you really belong.

WTF are you talking about, we are discussing the day to day joys of this winter so far, to characterize it as a circle jerk is sad. Trolls r us even pro mets . The sled run is ice fast, the skiing in the north is the best in years, ice skating on cleared lakes everywhere, ice fishing, snowmobiling, just perfect.

it's a joke steve...take it easy

Well another check on the Epic winter list, beautiful ice fog this morning in SECT as I drove to work, the sun was rising reflecting off of low hanging ice fog, which was hovering halfway up tree level, glistening ice covered all of the low level bushes,. Should be another great winter day with squalls this afternoon.

Oops too late, accidents galore

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY

736 AM EST SAT FEB 12 2011

CTZ005>012-NYZ078>081-177-179-121500-

NORTHERN FAIRFIELD-NORTHERN NEW HAVEN-NORTHERN MIDDLESEX-

NORTHERN NEW LONDON-SOUTHERN FAIRFIELD-SOUTHERN NEW HAVEN-

SOUTHERN MIDDLESEX-SOUTHERN NEW LONDON-NORTHWESTERN SUFFOLK-

NORTHEASTERN SUFFOLK-SOUTHWESTERN SUFFOLK-SOUTHEASTERN SUFFOLK-

NORTHERN NASSAU-SOUTHERN NASSAU-

736 AM EST SAT FEB 12 2011

...ICY CONDITIONS THIS MORNING ACROSS LONG ISLAND AND SOUTHERN

CONNECTICUT...

A MOIST SOUTHWEST FLOW OFF THE OCEAN IN COMBINATION WITH

TEMPERATURES IN THE TEENS HAS RESULTED IN HEAVY BLACK ICE

FORMATION IN SPOTS ACROSS LONG ISLAND AND SOUTHERN CONNECTICUT

THIS MORNING. MOTORISTS SHOULD EXERCISE EXTREME CAUTION AND

ALLOW FOR EXTRA BRAKING DISTANCE...PARTICULARLY ON BRIDGES

AND OVERPASSES.

$$

GOODMAN

I had ice covering everything, actually when I woke up I thought we had a dusting of snow, I think its called rime ice Steve? Anyhoooo it was odd the warmest 16 degrees I had ever felt this morning getting some wood (lol) .

Very cool ice on the trees and deck, now its almost above freezing, maybe some flurries today, 1-2 tomorrow?

Sweet, you'll reach the 2-4 , after the thaw cycle winter raises back, nice Neg NAO developing. Lots of increased chances for more snow. Love it.

28/21, light to moderate snow continues. No surprises here. Awww, shucks, the warministas don't get spring in February.

Hey hey, what can I do...

420 PM EST SAT FEB 12 2011

...BRIEF HEAVY SNOW SHOWERS...

SCATTERED TO NUMEROUS SNOW SHOWERS WILL MOVE ACROSS THE NORTHERN

ADIRONDACKS OF NEW YORK...THE CHAMPLAIN VALLEY...AND THE REMAINDER

OF VERMONT THROUGH 600 PM TONIGHT. THE MOST CONCENTRATED AREA OF

SNOW SHOWERS WILL BE ACROSS THE NORTHERN AND CENTRAL SECTIONS OF

VERMONT. SOME OF THE SNOW SHOWERS WILL BE INTENSE...REDUCING

VISIBILITIES TO A QUARTER OF A MILE AND PRODUCING UP TO AN INCH OF

SNOW. HOWEVER...THE DURATION OF THESE INTENSE SNOW SHOWERS WILL

ONLY BE IN THE 15 MINUTE RANGE BEFORE MOVING EASTWARD. NEVERTHELESS...

THESE SNOW SHOWERS COULD HAVE AN IMPACT ON TRAVEL CONDITIONS...USE

CAUTION WHEN TRAVELING THIS AFTERNOON AND EVENING

Viva la Bam

415 PM EST SAT FEB 12 2011

...A LINE OF SNOW SQUALLS IN SOUTHERN SCHOHARIE...ALBANY...WESTERN

GREENE...AND WESTERN RENSSELAER COUNTIES MOVING INTO

COLUMBIA...EASTERN RENSSELAER...AND BERKSHIRE COUNTIES...

AT 409 PM EST...SNOW SQUALLS WERE DETECTED BY THE NATIONAL WEATHER

SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR. THESE SNOW SQUALLS WERE LOCATED ALONG A

LINE EXTENDING FROM CENTER BRUNSWICK TO PRATTSVILLE...OR ALONG A

LINE EXTENDING FROM COHOES TO ROXBURY...AND MOVING SOUTHEAST AT 45

MPH.

SNOW SQUALLS WILL BE NEAR...

WINDHAM...WEST SAND LAKE...SELKIRK AND EAST GREENBUSH BY 420 PM EST

RAVENA...CASTLETON-ON-HUDSON AND AVERILL PARK BY 425 PM EST

NEW BALTIMORE...NASSAU AND HUNTER BY 430 PM EST

SNOW SQUALLS PRODUCING A 15 TO 30 MINUTE PERIOD OF HEAVY SNOW AND

NEAR WHITE OUT CONDITIONS CAN BE EXPECTED. GENERALLY AN INCH OR LESS

OF SNOW WILL ACCUMULATE...BUT THE SEVERITY OF THE SNOW SQUALLS WILL

SIGNIFICANTLY REDUCE VISIBILITY AND CAUSE EXTREMELY HAZARDOUS DRIVING

CONDITIONS. WIND GUSTS TO AROUND 45 MPH WILL BE POSSIBLE WITH THE

SQUALLS.

Happy to say Ginx, currently SN+, just a decent squall but it's full on Winter right now. I think we get totally smoked in the coming weeks.

Measurable snowfall everyday but one so far in February up here. I'm with you on the full-on-winter right now... very squally weather today up here; just finished a squall that put down a half inch in 20 minutes, then the sun came out, and now its snowing again.

Skiing up this way is the best its been since the spring of 2007 when 12 feet of snow fell in 2 months. 40" in the last 10 days on Mansfield/Stowe for a nice average of 4" per day... 4 feet so far in February. Snowpack between 6-7 feet on the upper mountain with no ice or crust layer throughout the entire thing. This is a western winter so far... just snow on top of snow on top of more snow. Check out some of the pics in the NNE thread.

Today was my first non-ski day in like 3 weeks... its been so good lately that it is hard to describe in words.

Here's a photo of me, last run of the day on Thursday. Nothing like face-shot powder at 3:30pm; gotta love mid-week skiing.

Measurable snowfall everyday but one so far in February up here. I'm with you on the full-on-winter right now... very squally weather today up here; just finished a squall that put down a half inch in 20 minutes, then the sun came out, and now its snowing again.

Skiing up this way is the best its been since the spring of 2007 when 12 feet of snow fell in 2 months. 40" in the last 10 days on Mansfield/Stowe for a nice average of 4" per day... 4 feet so far in February. Snowpack between 6-7 feet on the upper mountain with no ice or crust layer throughout the entire thing. This is a western winter so far... just snow on top of snow on top of more snow. Check out some of the pics in the NNE thread.

Today was my first non-ski day in like 3 weeks... its been so good lately that it is hard to describe in words.

Here's a photo of me, last run of the day on Thursday. Nothing like face-shot powder at 3:30pm; gotta love mid-week skiing.

Where is the skier in the photo?

I'll be hitting the mountain in a couple hours...

You folks getting good crowds?

Where is the skier in the photo?

I'll be hitting the mountain in a couple hours...

You folks getting good crowds?

Yeah, weekend crowds have been strong... mid-week, its like your own private ski resort. I tell anyone that comes up here that if you can do it on a mid-week day, you're experience will be so much better than if you're here with everyone else on a Saturday. Never any lift lines Monday-Friday (empty chairs and gondola cabins going uphill most of the time), and that means the powder lasts forever!

I'm glad WaWa is having a good season, too... all the snow has been great for business up here and I'm sure its the same all over New England. Stowe's on pace to have a record or near-record year in terms of revenue and skier visits... and its all thanks to the big winter in the SNE cities from NYC to BOS. There's a direct correlation between Boston snowfall and skier visits up here, and this year we've been having a great snow winter so far with no thaw... couple that with record snows in the population centers and the ski industry is having a fantastic season. I would assume towns that focus on snowmobiling are also doing very well.

And as far as deep snow goes, here's a picture from January 16th when we again picked up around 40" of fluff in a week. This snow was so deep you almost couldn't really ski it because you couldn't see where you were going.

Yeah, weekend crowds have been strong... mid-week, its like your own private ski resort. I tell anyone that comes up here that if you can do it on a mid-week day, you're experience will be so much better than if you're here with everyone else on a Saturday. Never any lift lines Monday-Friday (empty chairs and gondola cabins going uphill most of the time), and that means the powder lasts forever!

I'm glad WaWa is having a good season, too... all the snow has been great for business up here and I'm sure its the same all over New England. Stowe's on pace to have a record or near-record year in terms of revenue and skier visits... and its all thanks to the big winter in the SNE cities from NYC to BOS. There's a direct correlation between Boston snowfall and skier visits up here, and this year we've been having a great snow winter so far with no thaw... couple that with record snows in the population centers and the ski industry is having a fantastic season. I would assume towns that focus on snowmobiling are also doing very well.

And as far as deep snow goes, here's a picture from January 16th when we again picked up around 40" of fluff in a week. This snow was so deep you almost couldn't really ski it because you couldn't see where you were going.

OMG, that is sweet. I have never done powder like that. One of my students loves your place so much. They go every weekend (and some weekdays ^_^

Hey Scott, Awesome winter period. Skiing has been fantastic. I'lll be at MRG tues/wed, the only skiing I do is on the weekends with my 5yo at the B'east. Otherwise, just mid-week. I'd rather work Sat and ski Wednesday. Snowhoed up/ skied down Thunderbolt with a friend today, pretty phemonenal. We had scouted it in the fall and saw that it was being pruned and spruced up. That lack of any freeze thaw cycle whatsoever has gone a long way to creating such stellar conditions. Basically the worst surface you encounter is windslabbed snow, oh the horror. Easy to get spoiled. Glad to hear Stowe is having a strong year, I know MRG is doing well after a shakey start. Looking forward to several more months of skiing. I love the second half of the season because by then you're in top shape and some of the best snow of the year awaits. My friend has finally skied his way back to Alaska but is saying he's jealous of our snow, of all things. Some how I think he'll get the last laugh in June when he's still on the snow and we're on the tee.lol

Archived