• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Mid-Winter Appreciation Thread

ski MRG

Conditions even in the SNE mountains....pretty impressive. I'd really like to try Berkshire east but it looks like it's about 140-150 miles from here which isn't much different than Sunapee.

Should be a great late season in the hills.

If you loved WAWA you'll flip over B'East. skied all weekend in various places, stellar conditions. MRG Wednesday, can't wait.

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does this one by chance include other people? Last February was more of an elevation and western mass special.

i could go for a 4/1/97 repeat.

I can only say I saw a big snow here. Doesn't mean other places won't see it but what I saw was for here. Silly really, but I've had them before and they often come to pass. We'll see.

Ouch

WSW flow FTL... Champlain Valley is torching 40F all the way to the Canadian border. We are now up to 34F at 1,500ft and rising here to the east of the Green Mountain Spine. Luckily the mountains should block us from a full-on torch today but the Champlain Valley is going to roast.

Have to go all the way to the CT River Valley now to see consistent sub-freezing temps... we had clouds all night, you guys further east must've had some clearing coupled with lower H85s. But it looks like this will be advecting eastward during the day today. Hopefully the low spots can hang onto the cold air though.

OK, the wife and I got out for a nice ski yesterday to appreciate winter as best we can. Skied up and down a local mountain that has a very nice trail network on it.

Ironically, one of the trails is named:

5445044211_9950d1a764.jpg

There's a nice cabin at the top with great views to the west, when snow squalls aren't approching, that is:

5445038343_be9652509e_z.jpg

Yours truly in a tuck on the way down. Still sporting my old leather boot (with two buckles), cable binding & 200cm alpine ski set-up:

5445576612_00e90d2393.jpg

OK, the wife and I got out for a nice ski yesterday to appreciate winter as best we can. Skied up and down a local mountain that has a very nice trail network on it.

There's a nice cabin at the top with great views to the west, when snow squalls aren't approching, that is:

Yours truly in a tuck on the way down. Still sporting my old leather boot (with two buckles), cable binding, 200cm alpine ski set-up:

Awesome photo from inside the cabin... and gotta love that old-school ski setup! I haven't seen leather boots in a while.

and gotta love that old-school ski setup! I haven't seen leather boots in a while.

They're super-comfortable. I could wear them for days if I had to. I don't use that set-up when I go lift-served skiing though. I put the big heavy alpine gear on for that (still on 205s though). If I'm coughing up $50+ for a day of skiing, I want to ski fast. :ski:

They're super-comfortable. I could wear them for days if I had to. I don't use that set-up when I go lift-served skiing though. I put the big heavy alpine gear on for that (still on 205s though). If I'm coughing up $50+ for a day of skiing, I want to ski fast. :ski:

Nice, love the pics. This is what Winter is all about, getting out and getting after it. Old leather set-up somewhere in the ski room, think I'll dig them out. Post more pics.

$14 bargain at Sugarbush today. Mid mountain only, as the wind holds never abated... A little disappointing, as the summit was several shades whiter.

Regardless, creativity was well rewarded with deep untracked powder right til close... A bit sticky towards the bottom, but buffeted into styrofoam, and easy to stay on top. Higher up, the snow has obliterated the underbrush... sticks, stumps, and rocks well underfoot, and many a quiet snowy alcove could be found.

$14 bargain at Sugarbush today. Mid mountain only, as the wind holds never abated... A little disappointing, as the summit was several shades whiter.

Regardless, creativity was well rewarded with deep untracked powder right til close... A bit sticky towards the bottom, but buffeted into styrofoam, and easy to stay on top. Higher up, the snow has obliterated the underbrush... sticks, stumps, and rocks well underfoot, and many a quiet snowy alcove could be found.

Nice. Too bad no Castlerock.

Well, as expected this warm spell will be short lived as the cold came roaring back in last night, today is cold, tomorrow is just slightly above freezing and then a warm Thursday with the cold front cutting through here late in the day Friday. Haven't lost much snow at all so far and though undoubtedly the snowpack will settle a bit more by the weekend any losses should start to be replaced next week as the weather pattern looks much more favorable next week. Ready for a great 2nd half. Big winter incoming, Big Big Winter.

Archived