Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Mid-Winter Appreciation Thread

ski MRG

These are from yesterday:

Come ski the steep and cliffy Kitchen Wall at Stowe...

Awesome, steep, snowfields dropping off the ridge.

But beware the avalanches that can flush you over cliffs and into places you don't want to be. I triggered this slab avalanche traversing out into the middle of the bowl.

Man you take some awesome pictures.

With all the wind packing from Sunday-Tuesday along with a little melt and refreeze in between I could definitely see how those slab avalanches could happen. Today and tomorrow should soften everything and reduce the danger somewhat. I got taken for a bit of a ride one time just outside the boundary at Squaw Valley. Scary stuff... My cousin lost both skis and had to hike out in deep snow. Pete's right, it does happen occasionally on the EC and I am always cautious, especially at Tuckermans.

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MRG expecting 5-10" tomorrow and more beyond. Great Winter continues. Touring trails here all still sporting a deep base. Have to let the snow firm up on the chutes before backcountry continues. That should happen in the next 6-12 hours. It's going to be another awesome weekend for Winter sports. Make plans and Go, Go, Go.

Pete, I just experienced my first on trail thunderstorm!

Was watching my son go over some jumps with a friend of his when Zing! Big flash then thunder

We skiied down fast and I saw severalbolts of CG while waiting for the boys to get their school stuff from the lodge, etc.

The closed the lifts and the mountain closed at 8PM

Great skiing earlier! Very warm, though... sweating me azz off. Easy turning hero snow

Was watching my son go over some jumps with a friend of his when Zing! Big flash then thunder

We skiied down fast and I saw severalbolts of CG while waiting for the boys to get their school stuff from the lodge, etc.

Great skiing earlier! Very warm, though... sweating me azz off. Easy turning hero snow

Pickles was there tonight as well...T-storm here now...good lightning!

Cool. That's only happened to me once. One late May day skiing at K-mart we had a thunderstorm roll through. Pretty wild.

This is a fine example of what a skier's mountain MRG is. No sugar coating. just the un-varnished truth.lol Ski it if you can!

txt-mrg.gifTODAY

Feb 19, 2011: Winter is back and it is snowing once again. This, a day after a downright balmy day gave us temps pushing nearly 55 degrees. What was once a very soggy hill is firming up but fortunately this cool down is combining with a bit of new snow so perhaps we will get lucky and it will adhere and provide us a decent skiing surface. Skiing surfaces are variable; ranging from groomed to "dust on crust". It's pretty technical, defensive skiing out there. It's the kind of stuff that makes New England skiers awesome! Please also note that the Sunnyside Double is currently down due to a broken shaft on the electric motor which needed to be replaced. We had one delivered to the mountain yesterday and it is currently being installed. If everything goes according to plan we should be able to have it up and running as soon as midday today. Today we are currently offering skiing on 100% of the terrain accessed by the Single Chair and Practice Slope. The Single Chair will be running from 8:30 AM until 4 PM while the Practice Slope, Birdland and The Callie's Corner handle tow will start at 10 AM. Thanks for your patience and stay tuned for updates!

Took the dog out in the woods (not enough of that lately I'm afraid) on some trails the snowmobiles have packed down. Shear ice and only the bumps they made allow for walking on them. I took a few tentative steps on the sides and broke through the crust about a foot...more snow under that. He was in his glory sniffing trails and chasing shadows. He is tired now.

The wind makes it not as pleasant but at least it is cold and flakes are in the air

So my best friend likes to make me feel bad about staying in New England. With land in AK that I should build on, it gets tougher to resist packin' the family up and wagon's North. I'm having an awesome Winter but not as awesome as him.lol

Here's a shot he just sent me. He was flying home from a day of lift access skiing at Alyeska. Wing struts are perfect for strapping skis to. bastard.

So my best friend likes to make me feel bad about staying in New England. With land in AK that I should build on, it gets tougher to resist packin' the family up and wagon's North. I'm having an awesome Winter but not as awesome as him.lol

Here's a shot he just sent me. He was flying home from a day of lift access skiing at Alyeska. Wing struts are perfect for strapping skis to. bastard.

Pete, no offense but you need to go. You know it. Alaska is your destiny.

Yeah no kidding. Who has friends that fly g-dam planes to a ski resort. That's what happens when you pay $4.50 an hour for illegals to lump around 2x4's all day.

- lol Great way to start the week.

love it.

There's no place for a quality homebuilding business in Alaska?

He won't need to. After all Pete will be running Alyeska ski resort, as we all know it's the best damn place to ski on earth.

Snow angels in production

Awesome! When I got home from work my daughter and I went out to the snow fort we've built to do some repairs. The snow we got last night helped us to fix some damage done last week. It's so much fun to have an excuse to be a big kid and play in the snow.

You're a milionaire..come on now

Yeah no kidding. Who has friends that fly g-dam planes to a ski resort. That's what happens when you pay $4.50 an hour for illegals to lump around 2x4's all day.

You guys are funny. haha. No illegal aliens on my crew, just aliens. Here's another shot Pete sent me from yesterday. Looking down at Alyeska from the Super Cub shortly after take off from Girdwood. Great way to get home quick after skiing.lol

Snow angels in production

Nice shot, 2 Grandkids here today loving winter fun. The snow looks great refreshed. I have to remember to push myself from all the negative nellies who worry or wish about what will happen in the future as if it's like some baseball fantasy league. Enjoying this deep winter filled with snow, cold and yes enjoying the warmer days too. IDK about anyone else but NE change of seasons is perfect. Thoughts and memories of summers riding big surf, spring softball, fall ocean fishing and winter sports are always coming to my head. Good times.

Nice shot, 2 Grandkids here today loving winter fun. The snow looks great refreshed. I have to remember to push myself from all the negative nellies who worry or wish about what will happen in the future as if it's like some baseball fantasy league. Enjoying this deep winter filled with snow, cold and yes enjoying the warmer days too. IDK about anyone else but NE change of seasons is perfect. Thoughts and memories of summers riding big surf, spring softball, fall ocean fishing and winter sports are always coming to my head. Good times.

You got Ginx. It's all good, it's just Winter is a little better than the rest. Let the Negative Nellies fritter away the hours in an offhand way.lol I'm sio thoroughly enjoying this Winter. I'll have no regrets when this one ends. Get out and get after it.

You guys are funny. haha. No illegal aliens on my crew, just aliens. Here's another shot Pete sent me from yesterday. Looking down at Alyeska from the Super Cub shortly after take off from Girdwood. Great way to get home quick after skiing.lol

What a beautiful place. Wish I was a millionaire too. I am an alien.

You got Ginx. It's all good, it's just Winter is a little better than the rest. Let the Negative Nellies fritter away the hours in an offhand way.lol I'm sio thoroughly enjoying this Winter. I'll have no regrets when this one ends. Get out and get after it.

My skiing big month is here, work has gotten in the way of life lately, time to switch that up. Heading to my buddies home in Okemo, then SR for a week, probably Sugarbush, then Wildcat.

Archived