amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Mid-Winter Appreciation Thread

ski MRG

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My skiing big month is here, work has gotten in the way of life lately, time to switch that up. Heading to my buddies home in Okemo, then SR for a week, probably Sugarbush, then Wildcat.

Hey, let me know when you will be at Sugarbush. Haven't skied there this season (always with the MRG,lol) might be the perfect excuse. I could catch up with you for a few runs. Planning on skiing late into the spring this year. Got one good late season day in at Wildcat last year, overall felt disappointed with the late season last 09'-'10. Basically little snow for the March/April couplet while I had my Ak friends sending me pics of the bottomless spring powder.

Those shots are amazing, Pete.

I imagine in person it must be breathtaking. I have family, brother, up there. My nephew learned to ski there. My other bro lived up there too, worked at Alyeska. They all tell me that words, pics, video does it no justice. I watched a documentary on helicopter skiing in AK, the snow was sick, some MT areas had 500 inches.

I imagine in person it must be breathtaking. I have family, brother, up there. My nephew learned to ski there. My other bro lived up there too, worked at Alyeska. They all tel me that words, pics, video does it no justice. I watched a documentary on helicopter in AK, the snow was sick, some MT areas had 500 inches.

AK is the real McCoy.

It looks absolutely beautiful.

Hey, let me know when you will be at Sugarbush. Haven't skied there this season (always with the MRG,lol) might be the perfect excuse. I could catch up with you for a few runs. Planning on skiing late into the spring this year. Got one good late season day in at Wildcat last year, overall felt disappointed with the late season last 09'-'10. Basically little snow for the March/April couplet while I had my Ak friends sending me pics of the bottomless spring powder.

I think this year will be quite different. Sugarbush looks like last week of March right now.

My skiing big month is here, work has gotten in the way of life lately, time to switch that up. Heading to my buddies home in Okemo, then SR for a week, probably Sugarbush, then Wildcat.

Jealous

Super Jealous

Never been (but heard great things)

Jealous

You will probably log more vertical on those trips than I have in 25+ days/nights ripping up WaWa.

Stay in 1 piece this time. Are you bringing TB?

Jealous

Super Jealous

Never been (but heard great things)

Jealous

You will probably log more vertical on those trips than I have in 25+ days/nights ripping up WaWa.

Stay in 1 piece this time. Are you bringing TB?

You are so much closer than me to some great skiing, what an hour and a half to some great Mountains, take the boy for a day trip, you both are more than ready. Barry is coming to SR, do not think the others.

Walking my old dog down some snowmobile trails near my house on Sunday, Feb 20

Nice WINTER sunset Monday afternoon Feb 21 after getting a nice refresher

and the view towards Mt. Watatic from partway down the Smith Walton trail on Wachuestt... skiing in 50F weather a few hours before the thunderstorm

Posted these in NNE thread but they work for winter appreciation... despite blue skies and not a cloud in the sky elsewhere, the light NW breeze continued to wring out any available moisture (which was not much) in the form of flurries and snow showers. These flurries are incredibly persistent and high ratio, so this is how you come away with at least a trace of snowfall almost everyday all winter long. Measurable snowfall occurs almost 75% of the days during the winter. I'll have to run our numbers but the days where we don't see any snowfall are few and far between.

Mother Nature's snowmaking system... upslope flow. This is a very light example, but it did snow pretty much all day yesterday in some capacity in the upper elevations on Mansfield proper. Just imagine how this plays out when there actually is some available moisture... RH in the valleys yesterday was like 40% and it was still producing light snow over the mountains.

-SN under one long, skinny cloud.

IMG_3385_edited-1.jpg

IMG_3383_edited-1.jpg

Posted these in NNE thread but they work for winter appreciation... despite blue skies and not a cloud in the sky elsewhere, the light NW breeze continued to wring out any available moisture (which was not much) in the form of flurries and snow showers. These flurries are incredibly persistent and high ratio, so this is how you come away with at least a trace of snowfall almost everyday all winter long. Measurable snowfall occurs almost 75% of the days during the winter. I'll have to run our numbers but the days where we don't see any snowfall are few and far between.

Mother Nature's snowmaking system... upslope flow. This is a very light example, but it did snow pretty much all day yesterday in some capacity in the upper elevations on Mansfield proper. Just imagine how this plays out when there actually is some available moisture... RH in the valleys yesterday was like 40% and it was still producing light snow over the mountains.

-SN under one long, skinny cloud.

I guess folks knew what they were doing when they set up shop on the slopes there. Upslope FTW

Nice, a pair of Kastles with the "High Molecular Compound" bases. Sweet !!!! Were you towed in or just following the trail?

Following the trail. It was a quiet, tour kind of day on Sunday. Nothing too crazy. Saving that for Thursday.

A serious wow at the Alyeska shots. We're not in Vermont anymore, Toto.

Following the trail. It was a quiet, tour kind of day on Sunday. Nothing too crazy. Saving that for Thursday.

A serious wow at the Alyeska shots. We're not in Vermont anymore, Toto.

Nice. I've been trying to get at least a short tour in everyday. This afternoon used the snowmobiles to access some deep woods stashes. The freeze thaw cycle that was absent for the entire Winter has now appeared and skunked the fluff but there is still a deep base and while firm it's still edgeable. The ouple inches that fell here the other day has helped out more than you'd think. A little dust on the crust. While Vermont isn't Alaska it is a breeding ground for world class skiers. So many of the best skiers I've skied with in Alaska/BC/ PNW

are originally from NE. Skiing a wide array of conditions really hones your skills. Looking forward to more powder days and, when it has to happpen, some fantastic Spring skiing. The most bittersweet time of year is the cornfest.

i like this thread better. So visited Penn State today, and the met program looked awesome, loved the school.

One problem: Too far south, not enough snow (avg is around 45"). There was plenty of snow today though, 5" new of fresh snow left from yesterday, honestly looked better then it does back home with a 15" pack of ice. I missed fresh snow (more then an inch or two), looked sweet. Cross country skiing Saturday, down hill skiing Sunday. Should be fun as long as the rain doesn't ruin the conditions.

Maybe wawa will pick up some snow on the back end???

i like this thread better. So visited Penn State today, and the met program looked awesome, loved the school.

One problem: Too far south, not enough snow (avg is around 45"). There was plenty of snow today though, 5" new of fresh snow left from yesterday, honestly looked better then it does back home with a 15" pack of ice. I missed fresh snow (more then an inch or two), looked sweet. Cross country skiing Saturday, down hill skiing Sunday. Should be fun as long as the rain doesn't ruin the conditions.

Maybe wawa will pick up some snow on the back end???

Hope so plan on going to WAWA Tuesday before the epic meltdown.

Hope so plan on going to WAWA Tuesday before the epic meltdown.

Just changed out of my gear after a great night session there. Way fewer people than I though considering it is school vacation week.

My son hit a jump too fast and got a boo boo on his butt. He kept riding for a few more runs.

They will be skiing and riding until 1st week in April. 5' OTG in most places.

If you order tix online it is $3 off or something

Just changed out of my gear after a great night session there. Way fewer people than I though considering it is school vacation week.

My son hit a jump too fast and got a boo boo on his butt. He kept riding for a few more runs.

They will be skiing and riding until 1st week in April. 5' OTG in most places.

If you order tix online it is $3 off or something

Well depending on the WX so will not order online but if it's not pouring will be there bright and early, what time is first chair!

Well depending on the WX so will not order online but if it's not pouring will be there bright and early, what time is first chair!

9AM

I think you can buy them online the morning of the trip and pick them up at the window... or something.$43 with the discount

Any way you can borrow my pass? You don't really look like me, but we are both Italians... we all look the same

9AM

I think you can buy them online the morning of the trip and pick them up at the window... or something.$43 with the discount

Any way you can borrow my pass? You don't really look like me, but we are both Italians... we all look the same

LOL cept I am 150 lbs heavier plus the fact you have skied about 300 times this year......I do not think so,the 43 bucks will not break me. I am only half blood too, the other Irish, English, Native side would give me away.

. While Vermont isn't Alaska it is a breeding ground for world class skiers. So many of the best skiers I've skied with in Alaska/BC/ PNW

are originally from NE. Skiing a wide array of conditions really hones your skills.

Aye, no question there! I worked at Sugarloaf for a few winters back in the 90s and there was a fellow there who grew up skiing in Utah. This guy could really rip but he was always amazed at the abilities of VT/NH/ME skiers--particularly dealing with varying conditions, as you said.

Headed out for a mountain tour today--looks like a nice, pre-storm day.

Did a couple laps around Lake Morey yesterday on the skate trail...which was in excellent shape. Call it cross training. ;)

5472149130_e458ae334e_z.jpg

Aye, no question there! I worked at Sugarloaf for a few winters back in the 90s and there was a fellow there who grew up skiing in Utah. This guy could really rip but he was always amazed at the abilities of VT/NH/ME skiers--particularly dealing with varying conditions, as you said.

Did a couple laps around Lake Morey yesterday on the skate trail...which was in excellent shape. Call it cross training. ;)

Gorgeous, ultra jealous

Nice. We were talking about making an iceboat at lunch today. We have a lake nearby the site and thought we could rig one up pretty easily. I remember seeing a really cool one at the FDR museum in Hyde park, NY, I think it was mahoghany. Looks like a nice track.

Nice. We were talking about making an iceboat at lunch today. We have a lake nearby the site and thought we could rig one up pretty easily. I remember seeing a really cool one at the FDR museum in Hyde park, NY, I think it was mahoghany. Looks like a nice track.

Never gone ice boating but I've always wanted to. Looks like some wicked fun. I did make a little hand-held sail out of some sapplings and a small blue tarp last winter for ice skating. I would skate up-lake, up-wind, pull it out of my pack, put it together and pop the chute. Whooosh! Worked fairly well.

Back in my Sugarloaf days, in the summer, I worked on one of the windjammers out of Rockland, ME. Twas a good life--skiing all winter, sailing all summer, care free. Didn't make much dough though!

Had a nice tour yesterday up and down Blueberry Mountain--part of the Benton Range in the western Whites. All stretched out, having lunch and looking at the clouds rolling in from yonder westward:

5474488949_f4c6c59094.jpg

Gorgeous, ultra jealous

Yeah, it's a nice spot. My parents live right on this lake and I pretty much grew up there. They go to Florida in the winter now though. ;)

The skate trails are open to anyone, so if you're ever up this way, take a turn out there. You can rent the nordic skates at the Lake Morey Inn which everyone raves about now. I've never tried them but I'd like to. Still on old hockey skates...

Archived