• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Mid-Winter Appreciation Thread

ski MRG

The sickness is trying to be a season ahead of reality. There's still snow on the ground and the air and another month of good skiing/boarding. The nice thing about late winter/early spring is it's time to enjoy the season's accumulation in mild weather.. additional snow is just a bonus

+1

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not a fan of the earlier switch to daylight savings....but it did afford me time for an hour's ski last evening with the pooch. We went out through the fields next to the house (which we don't own) and then into the woods below and along the brook (which we do own).

Clinging to 28" of snowpack, so I figured I'd better get a ski in while I could.

Skiing up the brook again:

5534763076_2e59b9ff14_z.jpg

Deep snow, dog providing some scale:

5534182977_e0f287695b_z.jpg

The conditions are utterly beautiful. Everything is very much covered and the snow is stout enough to support my full weight, as well as the dog's. No post-holing for the hound!

I'm not a fan of the earlier switch to daylight savings....but it did afford me time for an hour's ski last evening with the pooch. We went out through the fields next to the house (which we don't own) and then into the woods below and along the brook (which we do own).

Clinging to 28" of snowpack, so I figured I'd better get a ski in while I could.

Skiing up the brook again:

5534763076_2e59b9ff14_z.jpg

Deep snow, dog providing some scale:

5534182977_e0f287695b_z.jpg

The conditions are utterly beautiful. Everything is very much covered and the snow is stout enough to support my full weight, as well as the dog's. No post-holing for the hound!

Nice! I'm totally enjoying the late Winter conditions. It's Great to be able to ski off the back porch. When Winter really is over I'll miss that.

It's Great to be able to ski off the back porch.

Ayup, that's the good life, right there.

Last night I cracked open a beer, drank some, sat on a milk crate in my workshop (seperate building from the house), laced up the boots and slapped my gaiters on, drank some more beer and then shoved off. Nothing like it and I consider myself lucky to be able to do so.

The woods are so good right now too. Like I said, deep & stout cover, all the rocks, stumps, sticks, etc. all covered up with nearly endless opportunities to ski around pretty much wherever one's feet take them.

From the NNE thread but worth posting in the winter appreciation thread... Winter Lives On in the North Country!

Stowe/Mansfield is absolutely unreal right now for this time of year. I only had time to ski for 2 hours this morning but wow, just wow. Here's our snow board data for this morning:

3,000ft... 2" NEW as of 9am...70" DEPTH

1,500ft...1" NEW as of 9am...34" DEPTH

5-Day Snowfall Totals on the snow boards since 9am Monday... 12" at 3,000ft and 9" at 1,500ft. Up near the top lift terminals over 3,600ft there has definitely been more than 12" as it has been orographic/elevation dependent due to low level dry air in the lowest 2-3K feet. There is a lot of very fluffy snow sitting on the top 500-600 verts of our lift accessed skiing, and also up onto the summit ridge at 4,000ft+.

95" at the 3,700ft snow stake, too!

True powder/packed powder conditions; these are the conditions you see out west.

MID-WINTER conditions baby!

You probably logged more vertical this week than I have all season!

And you didn't get hurt!(I hope)

Just sore as hell, pounded the slopes 5 days in a row bell to bell with only pee stops for breaks. Fell twice on the last run of the week, once on my disaster trail, then got cutoff and tripped but just sore from excessive muscle banging. Did not wait for one chair all week, ski up, ski on. The Dumont Cup qualifiers were sick as hell, great course, look for it on NBC soon.

What a week, best ever.Perfect snow.42d4d0af-f782-beac.jpg

Sweet Ginx!!! While all the Warministas are grousing while they shiver, Winter rolls on for the enthusiasts. As much as the revisionists may try to say it hasn't been an epic Winter, the fact remains that it's been wall to wall snow in New England (except the CP) and the Winter fun continues. Really glad you're having a blast with you buds. Can't wait for my expedition to start.

From the NNE thread but worth posting in the winter appreciation thread... Winter Lives On in the North Country!

Stowe/Mansfield is absolutely unreal right now for this time of year. I only had time to ski for 2 hours this morning but wow, just wow. Here's our snow board data for this morning:

3,000ft... 2" NEW as of 9am...70" DEPTH

1,500ft...1" NEW as of 9am...34" DEPTH

5-Day Snowfall Totals on the snow boards since 9am Monday... 12" at 3,000ft and 9" at 1,500ft. Up near the top lift terminals over 3,600ft there has definitely been more than 12" as it has been orographic/elevation dependent due to low level dry air in the lowest 2-3K feet. There is a lot of very fluffy snow sitting on the top 500-600 verts of our lift accessed skiing, and also up onto the summit ridge at 4,000ft+.

95" at the 3,700ft snow stake, too!

True powder/packed powder conditions; these are the conditions you see out west.

MID-WINTER conditions baby!

Nice Scott, still laugh when people say Winter is over. BTW, I see you are photographing more women lately. Gettin' with the program, nice. I've always found the ski reporter thing is a great segway.......

Sweet Ginx!!! While all the Warministas are grousing while they shiver, Winter rolls on for the enthusiasts. As much as the revisionists may try to say it hasn't been an epic Winter, the fact remains that it's been wall to wall snow in New England (except the CP) and the Winter fun continues. Really glad you're having a blast with you buds. Can't wait for my expedition to start.

When do you leave? Having a blast before during and after skiing. Holy awesome food made by the wife of my friend. More squalls today, heading out.

Just sore as hell, pounded the guys fannies 5 days in a row bell to bell with only pee stops for breaks. Fell twice on the last run of the week, once on my disaster trail, then got cutoff and tripped but just sore from excessive muscle banging. Did not wait for one chair all week, ski up, ski on. The Dumont Cup qualifiers were sick as hell, great course, look for it on NBC soon.

:axe: :axe: :axe:

When do you leave? Having a blast before during and after skiing. Holy awesome food made by the wife of my friend. More squalls today, heading out.

Soon. I'm presently on a work binge. Trying to fit work,training and being a husband and Dad into a day is tough. Work hard/ Play hard.

Nice Allenson ! Great pics. I to am totally enjoying the late Winter skiing. Had some good squalls move though yesterday to put some dust on the crust. Wish winter would never end.

I'm gonna keep rollin' as long as Old Man Winter does. Sometimes I wish it would never end myself...but then I think about fresh veggies from the garden, riding the motorcycle, swimming and gin & tonics by the lake. That ain't so bad either. ;)

Heading out to do some tree pruning for a client this morning and then a ski this afternoon. Agreed--work hard/play hard.

cheers,

(another) Pete

I'm gonna keep rollin' as long as Old Man Winter does. Sometimes I wish it would never end myself...but then I think about fresh veggies from the garden, riding the motorcycle, swimming and gin & tonics by the lake. That ain't so bad either. ;)

Heading out to do some tree pruning for a client this morning and then a ski this afternoon. Agreed--work hard/play hard.

cheers,

(another) Pete

Cool, Hi Pete. Once Winter really does let go I'll be alright with it. It's just that skiing is so much fun I hate the off-season.

I've been appreciating the hell out of late-winter this whole week.

Ridgeline touring:

Making turns through the VT backcountry:

More touring, snow-squalls in the air:

Here's what I think of the lawn thread:

Ullr saying hello to the dog & me?

Very awesome. Looks like it did mid-Feb around here. Snow still clinging to life here, but might be gone soon with this sun, even though it is cold.

Not looking forward to starting the yard work. Skiing fills that void quite nicely

I've been appreciating the hell out of late-winter this whole week.

Ridgeline touring:

Making turns through the VT backcountry:

More touring, snow-squalls in the air:

Here's what I think of the lawn thread:

Ullr saying hello to the dog & me?

Love the shot of the tractor! That's some solid snowpack right there, haha. I still can't believe that we haven't lost any snow this entire week and in fact, we're at a net gain since last weekend.

Winter continues to roll on in New England... might as well enjoy it ;)

Archived