• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Mid-Winter Appreciation Thread

ski MRG

I know. Whatever, let them be. A big slice of humble pie is going to be served on a cold, snowy plate. That streamer last night was absolutely cool and not just because I was directly affected. Just a cool plume. I wonder how quickly people will change their tunes once the next Winter storm is bearing down. I can hear the back peddling already. " I knew that March would be big" or " It was obvious that the mid-February lull was just a re-charge" yada yada yada. It has been an epic Winter on a number of levels and anyone denying that is being disingenuous. BTW, the MRG jr freestyle team slaughtered the competition at Sugarbush and won verything that wasn't nailed down. MRG makes you strong. I'll be there Wednesday for an EPIC day. Ok, at least there are a few of us, give them hell over in that other thead. I'm off to the B'east with my daughter for her Sunday Olympic training session. "Ok honey, now when you get to the flat section of the downhill course remember, stay in your tuck and ride a flat ski, any edging will slow you down." Have fun Ginx, think snow and you know. BIG WINTER INCOMING, BIG BIG WINTER.

Well I hope that wasn't towards me, because I never canceled winter...just offering the pros and cons to the pattern. That's my job, I can't look at the world through a snow globe like some.

I don't think the pattern looks bad, in fact..it could offer some good chances. All I'm saying is to not be shocked if a couple of storms tend to the warm side.

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WTF?

You've gone to the darkside and have inadvertently created hysteria with all your "The Snow will all be gone posts."

LOL

You get a pass as you have been tortured all Winter long watching nearly every other area in NE get buried.

Some of us also have jobs that we attend to 5 days a week, and have to drive 2 hours to ski resorts.

I work many long hours in harsh conditions, I have a crew of 10-12 guys that depend on me for work and direction. I am just very dedicated to my sport and find a way to juggle work, family and recreation. On Wednesday I'l do 5hrs (round trip) of driving for 8 hrs of skiing at MRG. Sometimes I do it twice a week. True, I am surrounded by other ski areas within minutes of my house but if I weren't I'd still get after it.

Yea sucks to be you.

Sucks to be most everyone on this msg board then, most people haven't had an epic winter, so far at least. Inside NE or outside of. We'll see if there is another extreme winter revival like the month of January, that's what it will take to even come close to epic.

Epic month, great winter.

Jeez, some of you folks are awful. Whiny, depressed folks who are locking yourselves in garages. Get over yourselves.

Like we don't have jobs? Blue Hill is 15 minutes from Boston.

True, the Cape is too far from winter, but do we b**ch about how nice their summers are?

Go hike with Jerry... He will awaken your slumbering spirits

This thread is embarrassing.

Well I hope that wasn't towards me, because I never canceled winter...just offering the pros and cons to the pattern. That's my job, I can't look at the world through a snow globe like some.

I don't think the pattern looks bad, in fact..it could offer some good chances. All I'm saying is to not be shocked if a couple of storms tend to the warm side.

No Scott, you have time and again been the most even handed of all the pro Mets here. You know that I hold your opinion and analysis in high regard. Unfortunately, your voice can be lost in the din of the Warministas that, like cockroaches, scurry out of their holes to post on the death of Winter at the first sign of a relaxation of the Wintery pattern we have been in. I'm glad you see renewed possibilities in our future. I think we're going to get buried between now and April 15th or so. Here at least.

No Scott, you have time and again been the most even handed of all the pro Mets here. You know that I hold your opinion and analysis in high regard. Unfortunately, your voice can be lost in the din of the Warministas that, like cockroaches, scurry out of their holes to post on the death of Winter at the first sign of a relaxation of the Wintery pattern we have been in. I'm glad you see renewed possibilities in our future. I think we're going to get buried between now and April 15th or so. Here at least.

Yes Scooter is very good at his stuff and even better at tossing weenies. Lost in all this gaga stuff, it gon snow today even if the flakes are few it's still cool.

Went down to the lake yesterday to shovel off my parent's roof while they bask in sunny Florida with their white, knee-high socks and white sneakers. Hope they appreciate my mid-winter work for them. ;)

Anyway, brought my skates with me and after I was done working, I took a turn around the 4.5 mile skating trail/loop that circumnavigates the lake (Lake Morey, VT).

The high QPF pasting of last weekend did a number on the ice and the skating was pretty rugged but there were nice stretches to be found and of course it's good to get out and appreciate the hell out of winter.

5441738014_026ef29d89_z.jpg

Today however, calls for a nice backcountry ski. Just have to shake off last night first. :drunk:

Pete...there are 2 or 3 posters at most in these threads that don't like winter...everyone else does.

Outside of a select few, I don't think anyone thinks winter is over. Lol.

That said, denying that the next week or so is going to be mild is foolish. Who cares if there are some mild days? We don't need a thread where we pretend like it's not going to happen.

Went down to the lake yesterday to shovel off my parent's roof while they bask in sunny Florida with their white, knee-high socks and white sneakers. Hope they appreciate my mid-winter work for them. ;)

Anyway, brought my skates with me and after I was done working, I took a turn around the 4.5 mile skating trail/loop that circumnavigates the lake (Lake Morey, VT).

The high QPF pasting of last weekend did a number on the ice and the skating was pretty rugged but there were nice stretches to be found and of course it's good to get out and appreciate the hell out of winter.

5441738014_026ef29d89_z.jpg

Today however, calls for a nice backcountry ski. Just have to shake off last night first. :drunk:

Awesome, that's the spirit this thread was intended to foster. Have fun!!!!

I will actually be agreeing (shudder) with BIrving for IMBY on the snow

It was a great January, but lackluster Dec and Feb so far. I am probably close to climo but the cool aspect has been the relative lack (for now) or torches and cutters.

The snowpack has been around a while, as have the continued below normal temps

Pete...there are 2 or 3 posters at most in these threads that don't like winter...everyone else does.

That said, denying that the next week or so is going to be mild is foolish. Who cares if there are some mild days? We don't need a thread where we pretend like it's not going to happen.

Well said. And on the other spectrum, I wouldn't have dreams of beach balls dancing in my head either. I think my attention now is more on seasonal snowfall, my stretch of max snowpack has ended. Time to try and reach for the top 5 anyways

It was fine until the weenies started getting chucked,.

Brian, wall to wall deep snow cover. Every CT and some Mass posters will tell you how great an all around cold, snowy winter it has been, you measure your winter by inches I measure it by totality and it is not over.

That's what I just said: epic month, great winter! sorry, not lining up to be an epic winter.

Never said it would get AOA normal but go back and read through the other threads, they are replete with examples of people proclaiming it's over. This thread is simply a thread for people to express their ongoing enjoyment of Winter. A place not to let a brief warm up become a reason for chair tipping or sad songs to listen to as the exhaust fumes lull you into a fatal slumber. A couple warm days then back to snow. I plan on putting those few warm days to good use. I've been building a snow fort with my daughter but the snow has been so dry and powdery that it makes it difficult to sculpt. A cpouple of afternoons above freezing will give us an chance to use the igloo block molds and make real progress ahead of the next round of snows.

Never said it would get AOA normal but go back and read through the other threads, they are replete with examples of people proclaiming it's over. This thread is simply a thread for people to express their ongoing enjoyment of Winter. A place not to let a brief warm up become a reason for chair tipping or sad songs to listen to as the exhaust fumes lull you into a fatal slumber. A couple warm days then back to snow. I plan on putting those few warm days to good use. I've been building a snow fort with my daughter but the snow has been so dry and powdery that it makes it difficult to sculpt. A cpouple of afternoons above freezing will give us an chance to use the igloo block molds and make real progress ahead of the next round of snows.

Sculpt a few weenies in the snow.

His premise for this thread was to talk about this winter and to have a thread where winter stuff was discussed, the other thread and Ryans new one had the three day warmup covered. All of a sudden every time discussion of what was going on here folks would drop in and drop a weenie. I do not think anyone denys it will warmup and NBD but why some folks feel it's necessary to make hundreds of posts on a thaw while ignoring the ongoing winter is strange. Yesterday was a great day for me weather wise so I posted about it, great ice fog riming in the AM, making for a scenic icy ride to work, heckuva squall at night. I posted some screen captures of an unusual tight streamer and got weaned for both. Also got told by a pro that ice fog was my new fetish. Ya see Phil there's an issue here.

His premise for this thread was to talk about this winter and to have a thread where winter stuff was discussed, the other thread and Ryans new one had the three day warmup covered. All of a sudden every time discussion of what was going on here folks would drop in and drop a weenie. I do not think anyone denys it will warmup and NBD but why some folks feel it's necessary to make hundreds of posts on a thaw while ignoring the ongoing winter is strange. Yesterday was a great day for me weather wise so I posted about it, great ice fog riming in the AM, making for a scenic icy ride to work, heckuva squall at night. I posted some screen captures of an unusual tight streamer and got weaned for both. Also got told by a pro that ice fog was my new fetish. Ya see Phil there's an issue here.

The weenie dropping was for all the talk about GC and skiing until May etc etc.

:weenie:

Meh

No big deal Steve.

IMO, this thread is just as bad as saying winter's over. Weenie goggles one way or the other.

Meh

No big deal Steve.

IMO, this thread is just as bad as saying winter's over. Weenie goggles one way or the other.

I am failing to see your point, sci.geo.met has great technical non fun discussion about weather if that's your thing, wearing weenie goggles is what we do. Making the best out of all things weather is fun. I guess I could be like Kevin and piss and moan endlessly about snow melting, god forbid his empire crumbles, but instead we discuss and talk about the good side of winter. Off to play with the Grandkids in the EPIC snow, later.

Archived