• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Looking beyond Feb 5-6th event

Baroclinic Zone

Looking into next week there are 2 potential events. The first one looks like a late bloomer that would give the potential for better snows further N into C/NNE.

After that models are hinting at the potential for a big Miller A riding up the coast somewhere. 12z Euro for Feb 3 advertises an interior type threat while the 12z GFS give a snow bomb all the way to the coast. 12z GGEM leans towards the GFS solution as well with an offshore track.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmmmmm

4177f2fe-10d9-9391.jpg

4177f2fe-1114-7972.jpg

Much less stable of a pattern. Also, much more Nina like. In the past month we've seen a strong MJO wave track from the western Pacific to the dateline ... not at all Nina climo, and the mass field anomalies reflect this. Now however the MJO wave has collapsed, and we're seeing the Nina base state take command of the ship. Notice the strong Aleutian ridging and associated anomaly reversal over Alaska.

And of course the polar field is very different ... for the time being.

Like I said, I'm not ruling out big snows to come. I've been on the bandwagon for a big March and still some fun to come in February. Heck, I've taken over driving that bandwagon sometimes. Just saying, the atmosphere is taking a break for the time being from the factory line production of KUs.

18z GFS has a massive torch toward mid month that looks to last several days. Hopefully its wrong, but there are signs it could happen looking at the ECMWF ensemble mean...flow goes zonal for awhile and then potential -NAO might build back in.

If we have the fantasy storm , actually people would need it. Not unexpected to see a thaw, then it's back in the saddle. I'm baaaaaaaack, baaaaaaaack in the saddle again.

If we have the fantasy storm , actually people would need it. Not unexpected to see a thaw, then it's back in the saddle. I'm baaaaaaaack, baaaaaaaack in the saddle again.

We haven't had a real thaw since around New Years, and even that one was only a couple of days. We'll probably get one around that time in mid Feb. There's a block in Scandanavia that develops and retrogrades into Greenland on the EC ensembles by around the 18th, so we'll see if that is correct.

Terrible news..Awful...50's?

Hard to say what will happen yet. We could stay only slightly above normal....or we could torch for several days in the 50s. Hopefully it morphs into more of a midwest, M.A., SE torch where we only get a glancing blow and not the full brunt and have several days of highs in the 30s vs upper 40s or low 50s.

But who knows, it could look different a week from now...but in the mean time we should try to rack up as much snow as possible if we are going for record depths, because it will probably take on some warmer weather mid-month unless things change a bit.

Everyone probably had their turn to geek-out over the day-8 Euro, but I was in class, so WOW!

Is that a 940mb low south of Newfoundland with 100kt 850mb winds?!

Yes, I was just going to comment on that -

This could be the event I have been sniffing out. Something about this winter is a little worrisome.

This is the Halifax 18ZGFS .. anyone tell me what this would translate at the surface in terms of winds?/ has south winds of 136 mph surface only shows SSE 43-54 mph seems low... would gusts be much higher? maybe reaching 100 mph? just wondering.

168 Thu 02/10 18Z 39 ° 39 ° 30 ° 38 ° SSE 43 S 1010.32 0.005445362 °-18 °990100 %

171 Thu 02/10 21Z 43 ° 43 ° 39 ° 42 ° SSE 54 S 1360.41 0.005545315 °-14 °97310

It's been quite a while since a grinch storm ... probably long overdue at this point.

It could be a gradient thing. Perhaps high heights, but maybe the cold oozes south enough to give us the goods. Just prepare for something that may be not so nice, especially down this way. Good news is that the ensembles and the weeklies try to build a weak to mdt -nao. This will battle the -PNA and se ridge hopefully. It may be close.

It could be a gradient thing. Perhaps high heights, but maybe the cold oozes south enough to give us the goods. Just prepare for something that may be not so nice, especially down this way. Good news is that the ensembles and the weeklies try to build a weak to mdt -nao. This will battle the -PNA and se ridge hopefully. It may be close.

Did the weeklies this week lose that torch in the long range it had last week?

No..days 12-18 are a torch at 850..Brutal. weeks 3 and 4 are near normal

I think the torch is invevitable. Every seriously snowy winter has one. 1995-96 had 2 major long torches, one in Jan, one in Feb. 1993-94 had a small 3 day torch but temps were spectacularly high. Both of those years all the naysayers said pattern over. You know what happened. I was on Rochester, NY during the 1993-94 torch....60F with lakes for streets while feet of snow lie in the fields and even more feet in snowbanks. A day after I returned home, the cold/snow came back. Keep hope alive.

What are you thinking that is worrying you?

I don't see:

- a meaningful thaw, wall to wall this winter.

- an end to repeating storms, which is an artifact of a solar min (most likely) driven suppression of the westerlies in latitude in constant fight with rare antithetic ENSO - the two bring into existence ambient gradients N to S through mid latitudes everywhere that are extreme for planetary physics, and the steady stream of impulses is a function of just about any perturbation anywhere getting a tremendous positive feed-back off of tapping into ambient positive instability.

I do see:

-clearly we are seeing the previous notion of a meaningful -PNA collapsing, and yet another -NAO (that is not yet in magnitude on the models btw...) emerging, related to the previous point.

-there is an SSWE underway, which is linearly heavily correlated to occurring during onset and in situ solar minuma; if propagating in nature, drills the AO to hell.

-logistical madness with snow management gets no alleviation ....

CULMINATING IN

-a dangerous scenario if a category 6 rumbles up the coast. This 18z ...12z earlier for that matter, are just whack close to paralyzing the area, and i don't mean in a ha-ha 'isn't that cool', bring it on way - i mean, people could die there. we get a 10" blue snow cap this weekend, which will be a helluva lot more difficult to manage than these nice powder affairs of late, into an already constipated mega pack. ...then, if the NAO explodes next week, which i am 50/50 at this point that what is an emerging signal is not yet in magnitude on the runs, that 18z is not only a full latitude phaser, but it slows down.

All of this is on the table and not discountable just yet.

I don't see:

- an end to repeating storms, which is an artifact of a solar min (most likely) driven suppression of the westerlies in latitude in constant fight with rare antithetic ENSO - the two bring into existence ambient gradients N to S through mid latitudes everywhere that are extreme for planetary physics, and the steady stream of impulses is a function of just about any perturbation anywhere getting a tremendous positive feed-back off of tapping into ambient positive instability.

I do see:

-clearly we are seeing the previous notion of a meaningful -PNA collapsing, and yet another -NAO (that is not yet in magnitude on the models btw...) emerging, related to the previous point.

-there is an SSWE underway, which is linearly heavily correlated to occurring during onset and in situ solar minuma; if propagating in nature, drills the AO to hell.

CULMINATING IN

-a dangerous scenario if a category 6 rumbles up the coast. This 18z ...12z earlier for that matter, are just whack close to paralyzing the area, and i don't mean in a ha-ha 'isn't that cool', bring it on way - i mean, people could die there. we get a 10" blue snow cap this weekend, which will be a helluva lot more difficult to manage than these nice powder affairs of late, into an already constipated mega pack. ...then, if the NAO explodes next week, which i am 50/50 at this point that what is an emerging signal is not yet in magnitude on the runs, that 18z is not only a full latitude phaser, but it slows down.

Wow!

The truth is the weenie in me says bring it but the adult in me worries as well. What would happen if food were not possible to obtain (thanks to my wife's obsession in the pantry...would probably survive a month. But a deeper worry to me is where are we going beyond this season? Nevertheless, it has been an epic winter and until the life/limb scenario starts to verify, it's hard not to completely enjoy it so that I shall.

I don't see:

I do see:

CULMINATING IN

I believe we are headed for truly historic snows.

Archived