• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Looking beyond Feb 5-6th event

Baroclinic Zone

Here comes the torch at the end of the Euro run.

Well maybe torch is a bad word...but definitely the whole CONUS is warming up there with the Pacific air flooding the country. Still a lot of cold in Canada though so once pattern allows more meridional flow again it would cool off quickly.

Will, is the storm at the end of next week the pattern changer? Sounds like the midweek storm sets up our 50/50 low, we get pounded by heavy snow with the late week system (as per the Euro) and then the pattern flips until the end of Feb (as per Don S.)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will, is the storm at the end of next week the pattern changer? Sounds like the midweek storm sets up our 50/50 low, we get pounded by heavy snow with the late week system (as per the Euro) and then the pattern flips until the end of Feb (as per Don S.)

i dont really see a 50/50 low....everything seems to be moving along

i think its all more dependent on how the PV wants to interact

Euro Ensembles have the Tuesday signal, and offshore with the storm Thursday, but no surprise there.

Anyone notice the sneaky cold that tries to come in at the end of the euro op run??

Yeah I mentioned the sneaky cold at the bottom of last page...while rest of CONUS torches. Keeping that PV in E Canada might help us avoid the worst of any milder pattern.

Tuesday signal is growing for sure. SREFs have it...even though its weenie range for them, but 84h ETA looks good. :lol:

f84.gif

Euro Ensembles have the Tuesday signal, and offshore with the storm Thursday, but no surprise there.

Anyone notice the sneaky cold that tries to come in at the end of the euro op run??

yea, normally I'd say that preludes an ice storm, but ice storm climo in Feb gets dicey with sun angle climbing...

Speaking of that... we are really on the cusp with solar now. Everyday it is noticably hotter in the sun. Today was 33-35F after a low of 0F at my house in Ayer - pretty fantastic recovery over a 30+ snow pack with albedo that is mirror like.

In the meantime:

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM SATURDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH

SUNDAY MORNING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN TAUNTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM

WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM SATURDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH SUNDAY

MORNING.

* LOCATIONS...MASSACHUSETTS NORTH OF ROUTE 2 AND SOUTHWESTERN NEW

HAMPSHIRE.

* HAZARD TYPES...SNOW AND SLEET.

* ACCUMULATIONS...4 TO 7 INCHES OF SNOW.

It blows up big time right as its getting to out latitude....eastern areas get some really good qpf, but might have to deal with ptype issues early on. But all of SNE is easily over a half inch from it with 0.75"-1.00" for eastern areas.

Is it me, of does it grow warmer at the surface as the event evolves...I just don't see it.

The Euro has had very large diurnal sfc temp ranges since February started....it might be a sun angle issue that changes when the month flips...not sure. But I would take the 102hr Euro sfc temps with a grain of salt...check out 78h, 54h and 30h as well...they are all pretty huge jumps warmer than 6h earlier.

Coast still may have to deal ptype issues early on though looking at 96h...mid-level temps are an issue there as well as sfc.

In dynamic cooling situations, models will not properly handle 2m temps...they just won't. Rapid cooling aloft would flip to area to a 32F snow, then maybe tick down to 30 or so...something like that is what I could envision.

That's what I figured because it's the only way that I could see that as a snow.

What else has this....EURO, SREFs, ETA.....anything else

12z GFS tried to do something with this. Verbatim it wasn't much. Canadian was quite a hit, just inland. Euro ensembles tried to show it as well. It's sort of complicated, so it may be something that only gives an inch or two, but given the pattern...it's not hard to see a more robust solution. I would go into this as not expecting much..but keeping an eye on it and hope to be pleasantly surprised.

12z GFS tried to do something with this. Verbatim it wasn't much. Canadian was quite a hit, just inland. Euro ensembles tried to show it as well. It's sort of complicated, so it may be something that only gives an inch or two, but given the pattern...it's not hard to see a more robust solution. I would go into this as not expecting much..but keeping an eye on it and hope to be pleasantly surprised.

like a possible appetizer for the main event late week.

Been my thinking all along.

like a possible appetizer for the main event late week.

Craig Allen the great NY met mentioned on my drive home that he thinks Tuesday is evolving as a big deal and will force the boundary further south effectively stealing the energy from Thurs, could be a case of everyone focusing on the forest and not seeing the tree.

Lots of chatter about Thursday,accuhype at work, would love to sneak Tuesday by them.

Archived