Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Looking beyond Feb 5-6th event

Baroclinic Zone

I don't see:

- a meaningful thaw, wall to wall this winter.

- an end to repeating storms, which is an artifact of a solar min (most likely) driven suppression of the westerlies in latitude in constant fight with rare antithetic ENSO - the two bring into existence ambient gradients N to S through mid latitudes everywhere that are extreme for planetary physics, and the steady stream of impulses is a function of just about any perturbation anywhere getting a tremendous positive feed-back off of tapping into ambient positive instability.

I do see:

-clearly we are seeing the previous notion of a meaningful -PNA collapsing, and yet another -NAO (that is not yet in magnitude on the models btw...) emerging, related to the previous point.

-there is an SSWE underway, which is linearly heavily correlated to occurring during onset and in situ solar minuma; if propagating in nature, drills the AO to hell.

-logistical madness with snow management gets no alleviation ....

CULMINATING IN

-a dangerous scenario if a category 6 rumbles up the coast. This 18z ...12z earlier for that matter, are just whack close to paralyzing the area, and i don't mean in a ha-ha 'isn't that cool', bring it on way - i mean, people could die there. we get a 10" blue snow cap this weekend, which will be a helluva lot more difficult to manage than these nice powder affairs of late, into an already constipated mega pack. ...then, if the NAO explodes next week, which i am 50/50 at this point that what is an emerging signal is not yet in magnitude on the runs, that 18z is not only a full latitude phaser, but it slows down.

All of this is on the table and not discountable just yet.

sounds good, I'm still wondering what 130mph winds at 850 means for in terms of sensible weather.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol. It'll be fun in June to look at the last piles of snow and bask in the glow of an awesome Winter that the 3 prophets spoke of well in advance.

my plan is to take that last pile, and freeze it, to tell my kids and grandkids someday, "this is the last surviving piece of snow from the great winter of 2010-2011" maybe someday I could sell it on ebay, I bet Ray buys it.

Speaking of last piles, I'm forming a high mountain on the side of my deck...it gets 0 sun. But pretty soon it's going to spill over the fence into the neighbor's yard. I could keep it near the top as long as this run lasts and probably have a good shot of having it deep into spring.

Speaking of last piles, I'm forming a high mountain on the side of my deck...it gets 0 sun. But pretty soon it's going to spill over the fence into the neighbor's yard. I could keep it near the top as long as this run lasts and probably have a good shot of having it deep into spring.

I don't think the Ledges will be opening on March 27 this year. :(

My wife thinks I am sick very sick, watching Blizzard of 78 special right now, I have a big huge eight foot tall mound of deck snow that I keep adding ice and snow to. When the thaw comes for real I am going to put a tarp over it . I want to preserve the winter of my life snow for as long as possible

Tip, the AO signal grows stronger every day, mutation of warm signals appearing today on ENS, balls to the wall, belly to belly. Something huge is brewing with wind, rain/snow lines aside,you are right huge societal impacts signalled. 1717 or bust.

My wife thinks I am sick very sick, watching Blizzard of 78 special right now, I have a big huge eight foot tall mound of deck snow that I keep adding ice and snow to. When the thaw comes for real I am going to put a tarp over it . I want to preserve the winter of my life snow for as long as possible

Tip, the AO signal grows stronger every day, mutation of warm signals appearing today on ENS, balls to the wall, belly to belly. Something huge is brewing with wind, rain/snow lines aside,you are right huge societal impacts signalled. 1717 or bust.

What? wWhere?

Just got back from skiing perfect pp at ... well, you know...

I don't see:

- a meaningful thaw, wall to wall this winter.

- an end to repeating storms, which is an artifact of a solar min (most likely) driven suppression of the westerlies in latitude in constant fight with rare antithetic ENSO - the two bring into existence ambient gradients N to S through mid latitudes everywhere that are extreme for planetary physics, and the steady stream of impulses is a function of just about any perturbation anywhere getting a tremendous positive feed-back off of tapping into ambient positive instability.

I do see:

-clearly we are seeing the previous notion of a meaningful -PNA collapsing, and yet another -NAO (that is not yet in magnitude on the models btw...) emerging, related to the previous point.

-there is an SSWE underway, which is linearly heavily correlated to occurring during onset and in situ solar minuma; if propagating in nature, drills the AO to hell.

-logistical madness with snow management gets no alleviation ....

CULMINATING IN

-a dangerous scenario if a category 6 rumbles up the coast. This 18z ...12z earlier for that matter, are just whack close to paralyzing the area, and i don't mean in a ha-ha 'isn't that cool', bring it on way - i mean, people could die there. we get a 10" blue snow cap this weekend, which will be a helluva lot more difficult to manage than these nice powder affairs of late, into an already constipated mega pack. ...then, if the NAO explodes next week, which i am 50/50 at this point that what is an emerging signal is not yet in magnitude on the runs, that 18z is not only a full latitude phaser, but it slows down.

All of this is on the table and not discountable just yet.

:snowman: :snowman: :snowman: :snowman:

But seriously, these depths are already borederline dangerous for driving. A few more storms without melting = HUGE problems.

What? wWhere?

Just got back from skiing perfect pp at ... well, you know...

Connecticut public TV, sucked but the video and pics were cool, CT east got what we got but middle west missed the real deal. The stories and pics of UCONN kids having the campus to themselves for a week and jumping out of second story windows into the snow brought back memories of URI.

Man Bastardi is predicting1717 LOL,now that would be a rhetorical LA Epic birthday present.

Do it and take a picture every week so we can monitor it into June! If you keep it large and cover it will some wood chips you might keep it into the summer. You could have barbeques in the heat and people could sit on to stay cool during the summer heat. Then if it gets cold in early fall you can start building it up again..it'll be like the "mother" snow pile...sort of like a sourdough bread starter. Weenies could visit it for blessings and good luck. Could be a good business.

GYX AFD from 8:58PM:

18Z GFS SHOWS AN INTENSIFYING LOW CROSSING THROUGH THE GULF OF

MAINE (42 MB DEEPENING IN 12 HRS!). IT CRASHES DOWN TO 931 MB IN

THE CANADIAN MARITIMES. DOUBT THAT WILL VERIFY...SINCE WE ARE SO

FAR OUT IN TIME...BUT IT'S JUST AMUSING TO LOOK AT IN ANY CASE.

NEVER SEEN THAT KINDA OF DEEPING FROM A NUMERICAL MODEL IN THE

NORTHEAST OVER THE LAST 25 YEARS.

GYX AFD from 8:58PM:

18Z GFS SHOWS AN INTENSIFYING LOW CROSSING THROUGH THE GULF OF

MAINE (42 MB DEEPENING IN 12 HRS!). IT CRASHES DOWN TO 931 MB IN

THE CANADIAN MARITIMES. DOUBT THAT WILL VERIFY...SINCE WE ARE SO

FAR OUT IN TIME...BUT IT'S JUST AMUSING TO LOOK AT IN ANY CASE.

NEVER SEEN THAT KINDA OF DEEPING FROM A NUMERICAL MODEL IN THE

NORTHEAST OVER THE LAST 25 YEARS.

yeah, likely will not verify, but just showing such a storm must mean something.. I guess.

Oh now it's rhetoric, in the fall it was fantasy weenism, that's OK

It's ok to post thoughts about the downsides to the possible pattern breakdown. Not everything has to be filled with snow bomb fantasies. Sometimes it gets a little overboard in here with everyone posting about epic snows till may and what not. When people post anything that is anti-snow, an uproar happens. I love snow as much as any of you, but at the same time..I post thoughts I have as well. Sometimes they won't be filled with thoughts of epic blizzards..lol. FWIW I'm not saying winter is over by any means. I have my fingers crosses the warmth is forced south.

It's ok to post thoughts about the downsides to the possible pattern breakdown. Not everything has to be filled with snow bomb fantasies. Sometimes it gets a little overboard in here with everyone posting about epic snows till may and what not. When people post anything that is anti-snow, an uproar happens. I love snow as much as any of you, but at the same time..I post thoughts I have as well. Sometimes they won't be filled with thoughts of epic blizzards..lol. FWIW I'm not saying winter is over by any means. I have my fingers crosses the warmth is forced south.

I don't really see a torch looking at the 12z ECM OP...it appears a monster -NAO is starting to develop at Day 10 with >0C 850s over Greenland:

The polar vortex is also sitting right over Quebec, which is a signal for cold in New England given the blocking building into the North Atlantic. The ridge over eastern Greenland is starting to look like a -AO as the polar low gets forced away from the North Pole.

I don't really see a torch looking at the 12z ECM OP...it appears a monster -NAO is starting to develop at Day 10 with >0C 850s over Greenland:

The polar vortex is also sitting right over Quebec, which is a signal for cold in New England given the blocking building into the North Atlantic. The ridge over eastern Greenland is starting to look like a -AO as the polar low gets forced away from the North Pole.

If the NAO developed like the OP is implying it would beyond D10, then it would save us from a milder pattern...but that is not guaranteed to happen like that. There is increased sign of zonal flow which could warm things up for a bit if something like a reemerging Greenland block doesn't come to fruition.

Connecticut public TV, sucked but the video and pics were cool, CT east got what we got but middle west missed the real deal. The stories and pics of UCONN kids having the campus to themselves for a week and jumping out of second story windows into the snow brought back memories of URI.

Man Bastardi is predicting1717 LOL,now that would be a rhetorical LA Epic birthday present.

Whats he saying?

I agree - and actually, I am of the school that all we are really just looking at is a prelude to a pattern reload. This happened 2 other times this season, where the teleconnectors tried to flag the warm assault, only to collapse back. The issue is, I don't see the drive to change the pattern really.

If the NAO developed like the OP is implying it would beyond D10, then it would save us from a milder pattern...but that is not guaranteed to happen like that. There is increased sign of zonal flow which could warm things up for a bit if something like a reemerging Greenland block doesn't come to fruition.

I think a two - three day mini thaw is in the cards right now but tempered to near 40 or so. This thaw period is day 11-13 but may be briefer than that.

I think a two - three day mini thaw is in the cards right now but tempered to near 40 or so. This thaw period is day 11-13 but may be briefer than that.

That's what the ensembles imply ..perhaps a 3 to maybe 5 day spell with milder temps, then the NAO tries to force the colder air south. It's going to be a battle with the -PNA so we should cheer for the -nao to form.

Archived