Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Epic winter signal continues to beam, part V

Baroclinic Zone

Previous storm discussion thread.

http://www.americanw...o-beam-part-iv/

Well models seem to be locking in to a substantial Winter Storm for the majority of SNE/CNE. The storm will bring heavy snows to CNE/SNE down to the Pike with little to no mixed precip. South of there there will some warm air intrusion that will bring a mixed bag of snow/sleet/freezing rain/rain. Round 1 starts early morning tomorrow in CT and will work it's way up into the Boston Metro area around dawn. This first batch should be mostly in the form of snow but some sleet could mix in in southern areas. Precip. winds down in the afternoon and there will be lull before the bigger event starts overnight and goes right on through Wednesday ending overnight. Here is the latest NWS snowfall map for the Burlington, Albany, Taunton , Gray, and Upton forecast areas.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Previous storm discussion thread.

http://www.americanw...o-beam-part-iv/

Well models seem to be locking in to a substantial Winter Storm for the majority of SNE/CNE. The storm will bring heavy snows to CNE/SNE down to the Pike with little to no mixed precip. South of there there will some warm air intrusion that will bring a mixed bag of snow/sleet/freezing rain/rain. Round 1 starts early morning tomorrow in CT and will work it's way up into the Boston Metro area around dawn. This first batch should be mostly in the form of snow but some sleet could mix in in southern areas. Precip. winds down in the afternoon and there will be lull before the bigger event starts overnight and goes right on through Wednesday ending overnight. Here is the latest NWS snowfall map for the Albany, Taunton , Gray, and Upton forecast areas.

No BTV mention? Are we not in New England, lol. 12-20" in the forecast by BTV.

No BTV mention? Are we not in New England, lol. 12-20" in the forecast by BTV.

That sounds pretty high given that this is a Central and Southern New England Storm. Yes, there will be a fairly broad shield of precipitation, but the brunt of that should be somewhat south of you. Only uplift from the higher elevations and high ratios can deliver those amounts.

That sounds pretty high given that this is a central and southern New England Storm. Yes, there will be a fairly broad shield of precipitation but the brunt of that should be somewhat south of you. Only uplift from higher elevations and ratios can deliver those amounts.

.75-1.1" qpf? with temps not breaking 12 degrees? easily a foot...higher elavations could surpass 20"

barocylclinic_instability suggested in the Central thread that the most amped up models may very well be right with the main low out west. Anyone want to chime im on if that has any significant impact here?

he believes the low will be amped and deeper based on current analysis

if that occurs, it will increase the risk of dry slotting IMO

40/70 Benchmark, on 31 January 2011 - 07:41 PM, said:

Steve, what would you say for mby....2 day total....

18+ if you get in the fluff stuff Thursday you break 20 JMHO

I made a jerry rigged roof rake today out of 2*4, 1*10 , 8 foot 1inch dowel tied and super taped to my twig cutter fully extended 21 feet, worked great, got the first two feet of the roof but man completely wiped me out. Hundreds of people doing the same. I saw a lady about 45 on her roof! Some roofs in Sterling on the North side have 3 feet holding about 6 inches of water, mine had 2 feet easy, well the last two feet doesn't anymore, oh and then I had to help my sister in law move, now I can't.

This doesn't make any sense.

That's like saying "when the precip shuts off it means its already passed us...so its not a big deal"...the fast dryslot is what could inhibit very large totals. Its going to snow like hell (where its cold enough) from that LLJ forcing so much lift, but if it shuts off after 6 hours, then 20" is going to be very hard to achieve.

If round 1 can over achieve, I would feel better about it...or if we could snow like hell for 10 hours vs 6.

Unless I'm wrong here, when looking at the 700mb RH field by the time the area of very dry RH gets to us the bulk of the moisture is already out of the region...and it looks like it tries to fill in some anyways as it approaches.

.75-1.1" qpf? with temps not breaking 12 degrees? easily a foot...higher elavations could surpass 20"

That depends on which model you believe. GFS has a bias of being too broad. NAM area coverage of the shield seems more reasonable at this stage. Low Dewpoints could eat the snow that is trying to saturate the layer. We'll see though.

That sounds pretty high given that this is a central and southern New England Storm. Yes, there will be a fairly broad shield of precipitation but the brunt of that should be somewhat south of you. Only uplift from higher elevations and ratios can deliver those amounts.

BTV will do well.

The NAM banding site has decent frontogenesis up here for both systems in the H6-H8 layer. I think all 3 phases (Tue appetizer, Wed thump, and then the Wed night fluff topping) could impress. Those who measure and clear every 6hrs up here are going to come in with much higher totals than the next door neighbor who makes his first measurement Thu morning.

we ran out of firewood...and our guy can't get to his pile because it's snowed under...and he couldn't find anyone else to buy from...so I am SOL, lalala lock it up I loose power!!!

Find a retailer of "Bio Blocks". Compressed chipped wood. Cost per ton is roughly equivalent to pellets. Not ideal, but it will get you through in a pinch.

BTV will do well.

The NAM banding site has decent frontogenesis up here for both systems in the H6-H8 layer. I think all 3 phases (Tue appetizer, Wed thump, and then the Wed night fluff topping) could impress. Those who measure and clear every 6hrs up here are going to come in with much higher totals than the next door neighbor who makes his first measurement Thu morning.

Brian, whats your take on all of VT, NH, and SW ME?

Archived