Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Observations Jan 31- Feb 2nd

snownut

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree, more than likely they will be closer to 20" with some isolated 24" reports i bet.

i bet someone who gets into the lake enhancement as well could get up toward 30"+ especially with wind letting people fib a little on their totals. they are getting demolished right now with smaller scale banding and the dry slot will miss them with the deform band to roll through somewhere down the line.

Well above freezing. Gulf plume rolling in with a ton of qpf. Moderate to heavy rain is on tap all night and much of the morning tomorrow, should pick up an inch to inch and a half worth of regular rain. Snowpack will be ancient history - piles will be 95 percent diminished. Monday looks to be upper 50s as well. Think La Nina is going to have its way with the Eastern CONUS in Feb and March. I am beginning to shift toward a spring mindset....

i bet someone who gets into the lake enhancement as well could get up toward 30"+ especially with wind letting people fib a little on their totals. they are getting demolished right now with smaller scale banding and the dry slot will miss them with the deform band to roll through somewhere down the line.

It's going to be impossible for people really to measure because of the wind so obs are liable to really differ among COOP observers. I'm rooting for Chicago to get close to their record snow. The 00Z nam looks ugly for us at 78 hrs.

Surface temp observations right now show that the 12Z NAM was pretty close for right now (subfreezing temps in the northern areas)--- 12Z GFS was too warm as it usually is in any shallow wedge situation. Neither show significant icing for this area, but it's just interesting to look at which model is doing better so far.

Surface temp observations right now show that the 12Z NAM was pretty close for right now (subfreezing temps in the northern areas)--- 12Z GFS was too warm as it usually is in any shallow wedge situation. Neither show significant icing for this area, but it's just interesting to look at which model is doing better so far.

NAM is a mesoscale model, so it should do better in this situation. GFS sucks COC when it comes to CAD, espeically the shallow ones.

pulled from Noaa

Chicago Midway Airport

Lat: 41.79 Lon: -87.75 Elev: 612

Last Update on Feb 1, 8:51 pm CST

Thunderstorm Heavy Snow Blowing Snow Freezing Fog and Windy

21 °F

(-6 °C)Humidity:85 %Wind Speed:NE 36 G 57 MPHBarometer:29.68" (1006.5 mb)Dewpoint:17 °F (-8 °C)Wind Chill:1 °F (-17 °C)Visibility:0.06 mi.More Local Wx:3 Day History:

any reports from N MoCo? Looks below freezing there from what I can tell.

This may miss some pockets below freezing but it shows the general picture and trend...the black number is air temp, the red number is dew point, red line is 32 line, blue line is 32 dewpoint line and green line is wet bulb 32 line...Basically if your south of all three (especially the red and green) your safe from Ice

post-2017-0-59914300-1296621141.jpg

It's going to be impossible for people really to measure because of the wind so obs are liable to really differ among COOP observers. I'm rooting for Chicago to get close to their record snow. The 00Z nam looks ugly for us at 78 hrs.

Hey Wes,

I'm heading out to the Canaan Valley this weekend, any thoughts for out west?

Temp is 31 here.. I went outside to check if its accreating and its only partially doing so and only on the trees. Not sure if temps will fall anymore but only like 1 or 2 degrees and I would definately be seeing accumulations from the ice.

Well precip is pretty much done for our area except for areas north east of here.

IMO this was a REALLY close call, most of us stayed around the low to mid 30s for the entire event. NYC , Jersey, PA, and New york state are getting a pretty bad ice storm, apparantly around 3/4- an inch for nyc.. Thats insane.

a Hecs and then a historic ice storm.. whats next VD storm redux nyc special?

Archived