Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Observations Jan 31- Feb 2nd

snownut

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

im not sure why im under a freezing rain advisory. i doubt i hit freezing.

you would think with todays technology the advisory's would not simple default to the county boundaries?

the weather sure doesn't recognize county or state boundaries.

why not create forecast lines that matches the temp profiles?

you would think with todays technology the advisory's would not simple default to the county boundaries?

the weather sure doesn't recognize county or state boundaries.

why not create forecast lines that matches the temp profiles?

well i dont think you can get that level of accuracy till it's happening plus cutting a county in half or thirds would be confusing to the public im sure. in this case they may have considered leaving dc out of it since we're a heat island but it could still be close in the beginning.

32.9F at my house in Frederick. These types of event setups usually under perform in a big way around Frederick. Looking for a slight glaze on trees and then heavy rain. Then again, NWS drastically reduced ice totals so I'm not sure it classifies as under perform anymore.

Personally I would not feel bad if this was the case up here. I really dislike ice.

7p temps / approximate wet bulb contours / winds -- still missing some sites that kick in about half past the hr. smallest amount of cad evident well south. warm air spilling up from both sides now.

post-1615-0-63273500-1296605315.gif

Unfortunately, quite sure. Infact, 45 was not even the high; it made it up to 47 in Stephens City. For some reason I can't get the Weatherbug observation image to post, but you can google it if you'd like (use zipcode 22655). I was outside in the bright warm sunshine this afternoon and can verify the warmth. Unreal.

You sure about that 45 degree reading ? I see Wakeland Manor reporting 36, Winchester airport 38.

Unfortunately, quite sure. Infact, 45 was not even the high; it made it up to 47 in Stephens City. For some reason I can't get the Weatherbug observation image to post, but you can google it if you'd like (use zipcode 22655). I was outside in the bright warm sunshine this afternoon and can verify the warmth. Unreal.

I had a business meeting at LFCC at 2:30 this afternoon and yes it was partly sunny in Stephens City when I passed through.

As a matter of fact I stopped at the Exxon/ Dunkin Donuts and was surprised at the heat blast I felt when I put trash in the brown south facing trash can in the sun. sun.gif

7p temps / approximate wet bulb contours / winds -- still missing some sites that kick in about half past the hr. smallest amount of cad evident well south. warm air spilling up from both sides now.

Ian, where would I go to get that map? That is such a great depiction of the scenario now unfolding for our area. West of the Apps are toasty!

Ian, where would I go to get that map? That is such a great depiction of the scenario now unfolding for our area. West of the Apps are toasty!

it's a free program called weatherscope. it takes a little getting to know but it's a pretty useful tool to have and is very customizable.

http://climate.ok.gov/software/

im sure if you google it you can find tutorials or you can shoot me a pm and i can give you basics.

it's a free program called weatherscope. it takes a little getting to know but it's a pretty useful tool to have and is very customizable.

http://climate.ok.gov/software/

im sure if you google it you can find tutorials or you can shoot me a pm and i can give you basics.

Thanks! I will definitely check it out. Appreciate your help.

Wow, that sunshine did a number on you. My high was 33.

Very weird how locally, apparently, that warm pocket was. I assume it had to be a complete result of the sunshine. I'm curious where in your travels you ran back into cloud cover and, presumably, colder temps?

I had a business meeting at LFCC at 2:30 this afternoon and yes it was partly sunny in Stephens City when I passed through.

As a matter of fact I stopped at the Exxon/ Dunkin Donuts and was surprised at the heat blast I felt when I put trash in the brown south facing trash can in the sun. sun.gif

Sure sign of the climbing sun angle, but for several hours this afternoon we were in almost mostly sunny skies. Ordinarily, I'd be very envious of your much colder temps, but with the rain moving in tonight I'm glad we got that warm-up. Temps have fallen here now to nearly freezing, but the ground should be warm enough to avoid any ice before the real warm-up comes.

Wow, that sunshine did a number on you. My high was 33.

Very weird how locally, apparently, that warm pocket was. I assume it had to be a complete result of the sunshine. I'm curious where in your travels you ran back into cloud cover and, presumably, colder temps?

Had a multitude of things going on so I wasn't paying 100% attentionaxesmiley.png to the truck thermometer yet....

drove back through white post to route 50 about 3:45pm and definite drop in temps back into the 30's

and down to 34 crossing over RT 50 paris mountain with temps in the 30's right back to Aldie near round a bouts and the rt 15 intersection.

I have observed sun and micro climates for years in my gazillion miles of driving around the area.

no way Chicago gets close to 2' of snow

funny you say that. I was on a conference call early this afternoon. We closed are DC in the chicago area as the people in the area were freaking out about the storm.

Talking about shutting down for days with drifts to 15 feet. I bit my lip but mentioned I expected around 12 inches to max 15 inches.

funny you say that. I was on a conference call early this afternoon. We closed are DC in the chicago area as the people in the area were freaking out about the storm.

Talking about shutting down for days with drifts to 15 feet. I bit my lip but mentioned I expected around 12 inches to max 15 inches.

no way chicago is getting less than 15" .. they are in a great spot

Archived