northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Epic winter signal continues to beam, part II

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMHO, taking the 18Z NAM verbatim is likened too expecting to win the Publishers Clearinghouse sweepstakes because you mailed the form in.

The great thing about having so many weather models available now is that you can always find one run of a model that crushes you. I joke around by posting the JMA or ETA at times, but it's always out of entertainment value. I wonder how the CRAS looks today.

The great thing about having so many weather models available now is that you can always find one run of a model that crushes you. I joke around by posting the JMA or ETA at times, but it's always out of entertainment value. I wonder how the CRAS looks today.

And it's amazing the amount of weather weenies who will bash you if you say the 18z NAM and it's silly solution looks overdone.

I agree 100% that the 18z NAM just had a phase shift.

In that link BaroclinicInstability referred to phasing, or timing differences being falsely depicted by the nam... Is there any phasing going on here that we can see in our neck of the woods? Is it getting overly amped up? All Im seeing is at 84 hrs a 1000 mb low just east of chatham..

And it's amazing the amount of weather weenies who will bash you if you say the 18z NAM and it's silly solution looks overdone.

I probably get almost 20'' of high-ratio fluff altogether, but it still seems extremely silly. Snow on the South Shore and Cape from a SWFE? :lmao:

Overdone in terms of what.. qpf? Position of the low? The low strength is the same as 12z, but the position is a little south... Id hardly call that overdone.. Silly, perhaps, but hardly over done ;)

I agree 100% that the 18z NAM just had a phase shift.

I'm not able to read all the pages just stopped for dinner with the munchkins but the nam I think will be right with a more pronounced system up first that drops the cold air south. Nam has crazy ideas and will not be exactly right but this storm will be colder and it's Probably on the right track again IMO

I'm not able to read all the pages just stopped for dinner with the munchkins but the nam I think will be right with a more pronounced system up first that drops the cold air south. Nam has crazy ideas and will not be exactly right but this storm will be colder and it's Probably on the right track again IMO

The NAM starts blowing this synoptically early. We need some RUC trends. :)

In that link BaroclinicInstability referred to phasing, or timing differences being falsely depicted by the nam... Is there any phasing going on here that we can see in our neck of the woods? Is it getting overly amped up? All Im seeing is at 84 hrs a 1000 mb low just east of chatham..

It's not a storm phasing issue. The model will sometimes "phase shift" west.

Compare these 2 images side my side and you can see the difference in the 500mb heights. The 18z NAM's are shifted westward compared to the 12z.

http://raleighwx.americanwx.com/models/nam/18znam500mbHGHTNA048.gif

http://raleighwx.americanwx.com/models/nam/12znam500mbHGHTNA054.gif

Archived