joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 23/24 Major Coastal Storm Discussion

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Folks, temper your expectations with this one. Yes, it is easy to get excited seeing agreement among guidance for over a foot of snow + widespread. BUT, the bullseye has about a 10% chance at best of remaining directly over your backyard 4.5 days out. Until we have a better consensus, I would take shifts with a grain of salt unless ALL guidance does something extreme. Come 12Z wed/0z Thurs would be a good time to consider trends, once the sw is better sampled. Until then, some models are still adjusting North and yes, some are adjusting South. It is inevitable yet no need for concern or panic at this time. Sorry if this needs to be moved mods. I will back my post with data:

navgem_mslp_pcpn_us_21.png

Best model? No. But being it is normally progressive, so this actually makes me feel a little better believe it or not at this range.

Upton is not on board yet.

THE OVERALL CONFIDENCE WITH THE FORECAST IN THE FRIDAY THROUGH

NEXT WEEKEND IS ONLY ABOUT 30 PERCENT. THIS IS BECAUSE
SUBSEQUENT MODEL RUNS MAY VARY WITH THE TIMING...TRACK...AND
MAGNITUDE OF THE LOW. THE VARIABILITY HAS BEEN SEEN COMPARING
CURRENT 00Z MODEL RUNS TO ONES INITIALIZED 24 HOURS BEFORE.

Upton is not on board yet.

Here is thing: they are hedging bets which is understandble BUT they are contradicting themselves as the official forcast- not discussion sys snow Likely Fri night and saturday 60% thus exactly opposite of the hesitant discussion. They have to adjust, cant have both numbers out there.

Folks, temper your expectations with this one. Yes, it is easy to get excited seeing agreement among guidance for over a foot of snow + widespread. BUT, the bullseye has about a 10% chance at best of remaining directly over your backyard 4.5 days out. Until we have a better consensus, I would take shifts with a grain of salt unless ALL guidance does something extreme. Come 12Z wed/0z Thurs would be a good time to consider trends, once the sw is better sampled. Until then, some models are still adjusting North and yes, some are adjusting South. It is inevitable yet no need for concern or panic at this time. Sorry if this needs to be moved mods. I will back my post with data:

navgem_mslp_pcpn_us_21.png

Best model? No. But being it is normally progressive, so this actually makes me feel a little better believe it or not at this range.

Sensible post. Don't know why the mods should be concerned with it.

Archived