Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 23/24 Major Coastal Storm Discussion

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My guess for the week....

Models will weaken/shift south later today into late Tomorrow/early Wed. Then come back roughly where they are now. Almost unheard of for all models to lock consistently 4-5 days out without any waiver. Just be prepared for it!

Hard to tell, models are waffling a lot... Navgem came west and north, really hugs the coast

My guess for the week....

Models will weaken/shift south later today into late Tomorrow/early Wed. Then come back roughly where they are now. Almost unheard of for all models to lock consistently 4-5 days out without any waiver. Just be prepared for it!

The models have locked in plenty of storms in this range. There is unusual agreement among them right now, which is a favorable sign. I think DC is a lock for at least 6". NYC and Southern NE might be too far north for the big snows with this one. Low needs to close off early, letting it ride up the coast. Hopefully, the arctic energy won't kick it OTS like it did to yesterday's storm. I don't think this will happen though. Even yesterday's storm trended stronger and further north at the last moment. Not enough, obviously, but you can't underestimate the southern stream during a strong El Nino.

Can anyone explain why the GFS snowfall maps have been weird and sporadic around the Long Island area. Look at eastern Long Island. An isolated circle toward the twin folks. I attached a picture.

The far eastern end has a lot of mixing issues on the GFS and flips to plain rain for a time.

Can anyone explain why the GFS snowfall maps have been weird and sporadic around the Long Island area. Look at eastern Long Island. An isolated circle toward the twin folks. I attached a picture.

Aside from mixing issues I also believe that the model doesn't handle map features at a very detailed level so it assumes the split at the twin forks is all water which is why you see the gap.

Here is thing: they are hedging bets which is understandble BUT they are contradicting themselves as the official forcast- not discussion sys snow Likely Fri night and saturday 60% thus exactly opposite of the hesitant discussion. They have to adjust, cant have both numbers out there.

Actually, I don't think this is an issue of inconsistency.  I assume the discussion means they're 30% confident that we see a major snowstorm, as currently advertised by most of the global models, while the 60% number on the point-and-click is the probability of seeing some measurable snow in that time period (not the likelihood of a major snowstorm).  I'm sure a NWS person or pro met could confirm if this is correct. 

Resolution. The model has a very tough time resolving Long Island because of how the grid spacing is determined within the model. It treats the Island as part of the ocean.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Archived