northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
The March 6 Storm- The (last) Great White Hope

stormtracker

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes it can and has pulled off some lone-wins. But I don't think we are being weenies adjusting its solution north a bit to fit with its ensembles and the GFS family.

If we still have this situation after today's 2 runs of it, then we'll start talking about considering it a solution that's equally likely.

It's never easy...

euro has shown something similar like 2 of 3 last runs? im not gonna hug it if it's on its own entirely there but it could be right.

What is your location? You seem to have some obsession that this is being supressed into central or southern va.

Of course-- DT mentioned it to. UK verifies a smidge better than the GFS. :)

Not having the 3-6 hour break downs or all the layers makes it a useless tool for the rest of us. 

euro has shown something similar like 2 of 3 last runs? im not gonna hug it if it's on its own entirely there but it could be right.[/quote

Exactly- it's actually been 4 runs or so that have shafted the central Shenandoah valley. Lets see what 12z says, but I would be careful given the euros persistence.

euro has shown something similar like 2 of 3 last runs? im not gonna hug it if it's on its own entirely there but it could be right.

Yes. It has shown a southern track for 2 runs while the 00z Sat run was more north like the GFS. I'm right there with you guys that it is nerve-racking when the OP EURO is on its own and consistent. If you make it 4 runs by tonight of being south, then it may be a legit track. For now, it has been on the southern edge of the ensemble mean for the 2 runs it has been south; so, I've got to adjust north. Perhaps a compromise? I'm glad I don't work at LWX. :P

The euro op and ensembles weren't far off in terms of MSLP placement so something to think about, but it looked like the euro op was a little too tight with its precip shield.

Yeah but it was south with the mid level lows which may explain the precipitation. The MSLP placement is not as important, esp. because this will be occluding and redeveloping.

GFS shows about 1 inch of water from 6:00PM Wed to 6:00 AM Thursday... in my opinion that is when the flakes will count.  It will be dark and the initial change over stuff will (hopefully) have already occurred.  IMHO the GFS looked like the best case scenario in terms of timing... even with 7:1 ratios DC would see warning criteria snow.  

What is your location? You seem to have some obsession that this is being supressed into central or southern va.

Not trying to rain on the parade....I am just south of ezf.....I see no reason why just completely looking at other models that have been consistant is a crime.....

Yeah but it was south with the mid level lows which may explain the precipitation. The MSLP placement is not as important, esp. because this will be occluding and redeveloping.

Yeah the ensembles looked further north at H5 which explains why the euro op was tighter with the precip.

Not trying to rain on the parade....I am just south of ezf.....I see no reason why just completely looking at other models that have been consistant is a crime.....

The truth is no one knows what this will do exactly. Minor shifts of 50 miles make a huge difference. The sref nam gefs ec ens combo might be right and best snows are dc and Balt. But I just as easily can see the uk op ec being right with a more compact southern solution. But acting like we know which solution is right based on what we want to happen gets old. Offer analysis of why that solution makes sense meteorologicaly or it adds nothing.

No matter what small fluctuaions occur in guidance the next 72 hours, you are going to want to be in northern and central VA west of 95 for this storm for the crazy good stuff.  I knew living 40 miles west of town would payoff for me one of these days!

That being said, the solutions verbatum would meet warning criteria for most LWXers- isnt that a victory after this putrid winter?

Archived