Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
The March 6 Storm- The (last) Great White Hope

stormtracker

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Elevation matter here at all? A couple degrees make ratios better? Or doesn't matter?

Yes Some. I am rarely in the bullseye for qpf during Noreasters. But I usually end up with as much or more snow than those to the east because of temps. This is a marginal airmass though. So I think being in the heaviest stuff is best.

I'm really concerned about BL holding down totals. GFS is rather toasty during the height of the precip. This of course will be a problem the further southeast you go as well as lower in elevation. I don't think based on this run, 6" in DCA is out of the realm. 8-14" in the northern suburbs.

It's going ro be something where even 200' in elevation counts. But, if those dynamics are progged...I don't see a huge issue with DC being right at 32F with wet snow.

I'm really concerned about BL holding down totals. GFS is rather toasty during the height of the precip. This of course will be a problem the further southeast you go as well as lower in elevation. I don't think based on this run, 6" in DCA is out of the realm. 8-14" in the northern suburbs.

we all know this is going to be an issue....

what do you envision ratios to be like? 10-1 or lower?

Ratios are the last thing on my mind and yours. 

It depends on the lower level temps. Temps aloft are cold..like above 850 where deep vertical motion would occur..but If its 32F or 34F..that's a difference from almost 10:1 to maybe 6:1 or so. I strongly suggest not to worry about those details yet. The temp will be governed by the dynamics occurring. 

Yeah, our hope mostly remains in the Euro holding or a shift back with later guidance. Still a couple days away, but this one seems like it might be a near miss down here. 

GFS gives us a decent snowfall-- 3-5 inches. if it all accumulates. I've not got soundings yet to see exactly when it flips

there has actually been a north trend with the ULL and it is no longer getting shoved southeast....it is turning the corner

The 00z ECMWF was definitely a southern outlier against the other guidance. Both the GFS/EURO ensembles and 00z to now 12z GFS have the h5 low go from southern IL to off the NC/VA border. This is not a DC miss and it is getting to that point where I want to throw confetti at you guys! lol

I want to see the ECMWF at 12z, at the very least, bring the mid level centers north to where the GFS suite and ECMWF ensembles have it.

Yeah, our hope mostly remains in the Euro holding or a shift back with later guidance. Still a couple days away, but this one seems like it might be a near miss down here. 

I'm still clinging to Euro for sure. GFS leaves me with a inch or two at best and the NAM.. I won't even go there. I'd like to have atleast 6" and then I'd call it a win down here.

GFS is a two parter--

round 1 is rain, and when the second round starts, it's mainly snow. The total qpf of snow is .5 or so. 

I'm not saying Bob and Ian are wrong...we may not be that far apart but when the ULL exits the coast it's orientation and latitude are much better on today's run than yetserdays 18z and you can see it stays inland way longer

Yea, I don't want to split hairs over the issue. I was mostly talking about slp track over the last 24 hours of runs. Even going back to 18z gfs it's a very similar track overall. The precip is better organized w/ 12z so it gives the appearance.

But yes, there is a better overall track with the ull than 1-2 days ago. That I will not deny. I just see the term used too loosely at times. Seems that many people analyze a storm by looking at precip maps first. 

The trend is fantastic no matter which way you slice it though. 

The 00z ECMWF was definitely a southern outlier against the other guidance. Both the GFS/EURO ensembles and 00z to now 12z GFS have the h5 low go from southern IL to off the NC/VA border. This is not a DC miss and it is getting to that point where I want to throw confetti at you guys! lol

I want to see the ECMWF at 12z, at the very least, bring the mid level centers north to where the GFS suite and ECMWF ensembles have it.

0z Euro was a bit disconcerting last night...you don't want to see it out on its own because sometimes it is right   :ee:

It's not even this massive 500 low drilling for oil either. Just a strog influx of moisture into the MA region.

Yes and this is how the Mid Atlantic does it...not some crazy phase that may or may not time perfectly to bring the right amount of moisture and cold...which always fails.

yesterday afternoon the ULL was literally moving southeast over Hatteras as it entered water and now it is moving E/NE....that is a northward trend...

i didnt even look that close but everyone calls for a north trend no matter what hence the comment.  dcalexandra better figure out how to post something besides trolling the staff or he isnt going to make it thru this storm.

0z Euro was a bit disconcerting last night...you don't want to see it out on its own because sometimes it is right   :ee:

Yes it can and has pulled off some lone-wins. But I don't think we are being weenies adjusting its solution north a bit to fit with its ensembles and the GFS family.

If we still have this situation after today's 2 runs of it, then we'll start talking about considering it a solution that's equally likely.

It's never easy...

i didnt even look that close but everyone calls for a north trend no matter what hence the comment.  dcalexandra better figure out how to post something besides trolling the staff or he isnt going to make it thru this storm.

You all in southern Virginia have gotten a couple of decent snowfalls. It's our turn now.

as I was saying

You all in southern Virginia have gotten a couple of decent snowfalls. It's our turn now.

i hope he is among many

as I was saying

I'm still clinging to Euro for sure. GFS leaves me with a inch or two at best and the NAM.. I won't even go there. I'd like to have atleast 6" and then I'd call it a win down here.

It's a little rough in ROA< especially after the 0z GFS last night crushed you all. 

Archived