Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
The March 6 Storm- The (last) Great White Hope

stormtracker

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Extrapolating the 48 RGEM seems like an even more weenie exercise than debating the 84 NAM.

Look the DC and Baltimore folks want it North so they're hugging the GFS and NAM while the EURO/UKMET/RGEM are all south.

If the 12z Euro heads North then you DC folks will get your jackpot, but until then we wait...

it might....i'm not sure....I think a lot of the reason it gets shunted southeast is its own momentum and nothing else

This is from NWS

The ECMWF (European Center for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts, Shinfield Park, Reading U.K.) Medium-Range Forecast Model. 

• Overall, the ECMWF does well in predicting mid/upper tropospheric heights during the colder part of the year (such as October through April). Also, the ECMWF model tends to perform quite well in predicting amplitudes of planetary-scale regimes such as the Pacific/North American teleconnection (PNA). This model can also perform outstandingly during low to high planetary-scale wave number transition events, and northern hemispheric-scale regime transitions (Berry et al. 1996, CR TM 111).

• This model does the best of the medium-range forecast models during "shallow cold air situations".

• There is a bias in the model to "overdevelop" mid/upper tropospheric cyclones across the southwestern U.S. Situations arise where this model will be too slow to predict the movement of cyclones from the southwest deserts.

• This model has a slight tendency to forecast mid/upper tropospheric heights and the resultant thickness calculations too high (i.e., a "warm" bias).

• There are some situations, especially during the warmer portion of the annual cycle, when this model has too many closed gyres. This bias may be related to its T216 wave number resolution.

No matter what small fluctuaions occur in guidance the next 72 hours, you are going to want to be in northern and central VA west of 95 for this storm for the crazy good stuff.  I knew living 40 miles west of town would payoff for me one of these days!

That being said, the solutions verbatum would meet warning criteria for most LWXers- isnt that a victory after this putrid winter?

I was wondering when moving to Gainesville would pay off.Maybe this is the time.

Look the DC and Baltimore folks want it North so they're hugging the GFS and NAM while the EURO/UKMET/RGEM are all south.

If the 12z Euro heads North then you DC folks will get your jackpot, but until then we wait...

No point in extrapolating the RGEM when the GGEM is around. 

The only "bad" model run for the DC metro so far this morning is the UKMET. 

Wow. Every single member crushes the Northern Shenandoah Valley. I dont ever remember that 3 days out.

That area seems pretty locked in. High elevation around CHO/ROA has been clocked for days. Wouldn't be surprised if those spots jackpot tho still time for some shifts.

Wow. Every single member crushes the Northern Shenandoah Valley. I dont ever remember that 3 days out.

Oh yeah, your area down into DC metro is going to get clocked, no doubt. Its the evolution after that's wavering. The sticking point is a vort lobe up in NH that either does or does not get "sucked" into the bowling ball causing it to jump north.

Edit: See below.

This is from NWS

The ECMWF (European Center for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts, Shinfield Park, Reading U.K.) Medium-Range Forecast Model. 

• Overall, the ECMWF does well in predicting mid/upper tropospheric heights during the colder part of the year (such as October through April). Also, the ECMWF model tends to perform quite well in predicting amplitudes of planetary-scale regimes such as the Pacific/North American teleconnection (PNA). This model can also perform outstandingly during low to high planetary-scale wave number transition events, and northern hemispheric-scale regime transitions (Berry et al. 1996, CR TM 111).

• This model does the best of the medium-range forecast models during "shallow cold air situations".

• There is a bias in the model to "overdevelop" mid/upper tropospheric cyclones across the southwestern U.S. Situations arise where this model will be too slow to predict the movement of cyclones from the southwest deserts.

• This model has a slight tendency to forecast mid/upper tropospheric heights and the resultant thickness calculations too high (i.e., a "warm" bias).

• There are some situations, especially during the warmer portion of the annual cycle, when this model has too many closed gyres. This bias may be related to its T216 wave number resolution.

Ha, this is quite old and outdated (where did you get it from?).  The fact that it references T216 is all you need to know (the ECMWF is run at T1279 now, I think). 

Archived