• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Lee's Remnants and the Mid-Atlantic

WxUSAF

TD13/Lee looks like it could give us widespread 2"+ rainfalls next week as the moisture gets pulled northward along the stalling cold front and the remnant low stalls over the Apps.

12z GFS brings Katia as close to our area as any forecast yet. Would certainly bring high surf, beach erosion and a blustery day to Ocean City, verbatim.

Discuss!

Edit...updated thread title since TD13 was upgraded to TS Lee.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LONG TERM /MONDAY THROUGH FRIDAY/...

THE COLD FRONT WILL SLOWLY PASS THROUGH THE REGION MONDAY INTO

MONDAY NIGHT. DEEP MOISTURE ALONG WITH LIFT PROVIDED BY THE FRONT

WILL BE ENOUGH FOR MORE SHOWERS AND T-STORMS TO DEVELOP.

CONVECTION WILL LIKELY BE MORE WIDESPREAD MONDAY DUE TO THE COLD

FRONT. LOCALLY HEAVY RAINFALL IS EXPECTED IN ANY THUNDERSTORMS

THAT DO DEVELOP.

THE COLD FRONT WILL STALL OUT JUST TO OUR SOUTH DURING THE MIDDLE

AND LATTER PORTIONS OF NEXT WEEK. THE REMNANTS FROM WHAT IS NOW

TROPICAL STORM LEE MAY GET DRAWN INTO THE NORTHERN STREAM OF THE

JET CAUSING TROPICAL MOISTURE TO SURGE NORTHWARD INTO OUR REGION.

THE WARM MOIST TROPICAL AIR MAY OVERRIDE COOLER AIR IN PLACE

CAUSING A PROLONGED PERIOD OF PRECIPITATION DURING THIS TIME.

HOWEVER...THERE IS STILL A GOOD DEAL OF UNCERTAINTY IN THE EXACT

TRACK OF TROPICAL STORM LEE. WILL CONTINUE TO MONITOR OVER THE

NEXT SEVERAL DAYS.

I'd still be surprised if Katia is any issue at all. But Lee is a bit of a wildcard depending on its upper level trough influence and location. I do like the idea of some big rain from Lee though.

Lee will most definitely threaten the MA with several inches of rain, especially western portions...but with NOGAPS and UKMet the only support for a Katia threat...I'd say it's almost not worth mentioning until there is other model support.

Pretty much sums it up at this point, though I think it's actually too early to call where the rain will end up in the Mid-Atlantic. Though the western areas are definitely favored at this point (and I do agree that it looks like the western areas should receive the greatest rainfall), models have been struggling with the front/Lee interaction since day one, and I wouldn't be surprised if our end result is different from the western Mid-Atlantic solution.

As far as Katia, I believe that it will miss the US (though the Canadian Maritimes are still at risk). Expecting it to "recurve" around 67-72 W as it moves by the Carolina coastline (...I usually don't post tropical forecasts out since I don't really know enough to fully explain it). While not too much further west, I think Don S. is a little too optimistic WRT bringing Katia closer to the US coast. The 00z GFS sums up my thoughts pretty well.

Pretty much sums it up at this point, though I think it's actually too early to call where the rain will end up in the Mid-Atlantic. Though the western areas are definitely favored at this point (and I do agree that it looks like the western areas should receive the greatest rainfall), models have been struggling with the front/Lee interaction since day one, and I wouldn't be surprised if our end result is different from the western Mid-Atlantic solution.

As far as Katia, I believe that it will miss the US (though the Canadian Maritimes are still at risk). Expecting it to "recurve" around 67-72 W as it moves by the Carolina coastline (...I usually don't post tropical forecasts out since I don't really know enough to fully explain it). While not too much further west, I think Don S. is a little too optimistic WRT bringing Katia closer to the US coast. The 00z GFS sums up my thoughts pretty well.

I agree with you about Don probably beingn a little optimistic about the chances of a u.S, landfall with Katia. Lee is a really interesting storm. It a distinct low and mid level circulation remains to Lee, it almost guarantees one max on the east side of the mountains as there usually is enough of an easterly component to enhance the lifting as the storm moves through. However, there also often is some other max. I wrote something in the Lee threat the the W &F forum on the storm. There is lots of uncertainty about the latitude and timing of max since we still don't know the track of the storm and the nam continues to hold the system in the gulf for an extended period. I think it looks unlikely but have been surprised in the past.

I agree with you about Don probably beingn a little optimistic about the chances of a u.S, landfall with Katia. Lee is a really interesting storm. It a distinct low and mid level circulation remains to Lee, it almost guarantees one max on the east side of the mountains as there usually is enough of an easterly component to enhance the lifting as the storm moves through. However, there also often is some other max. I wrote something in the Lee threat the the W &F forum on the storm. There is lots of uncertainty about the latitude and timing of max since we still don't know the track of the storm and the nam continues to hold the system in the gulf for an extended period. I think it looks unlikely but have been surprised in the past.

The new Euro suggests that the statement highlighted above may not be right and that Don's original 30% of a storm impacting the U.S. may not be that bad.

Archived